Differences in ITF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LewisHolder, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Your point being...?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Your instructor likes sit ups. :eek:

Just sayin'. :)

3. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

What do you suggest instead of sit ups? We can do them which ever way we want to.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

So does my lady friend. Rowr.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

OK...black belt with the TAGB back in the day...I hope that counts.

The korean guy was a little stiff and his movements a little short and held back. His walking stance could have been a bit deeper and his back leg straighter. Just a last little finish in the final positions.

The boy doing it, for me, had far too much needless movement, dropping his hands before punching rather than going straight from the hip. Hate sine wave (or at least the exaggerated version of it). He had good final positions but felt sloppy in transition.

Overall I preferred the Korean guy (I think it might be a young Park Jung Tae but may be off with that). His movement was less stylised and appeared more uitilitarian. Shorter, sharper and more combative (if you can call isolated patterns combative).

6. itf-taekwondo

Is blocking with the fist different in Shotokan patterns?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2yOzDsW8k"]Heian Shodan - Shotokan Karate - YouTube[/ame]

7. itf-taekwondo

I think it is...I was corrected on that and have must have got it from Shotokan indoctrination:S

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think maybe the fact the kid was doing it faster (even though more stilted) might make it look better to the untrained eye.

9. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

10. itf-taekwondo

Downwards block. I don't know the terminology. Patterns is not really a huge area of my focus.

11. bassai

They are the same names as the kihon , are you referring to gedan barai ? That's the first movement to the left in hiean shodan.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you think a low block is using the fist to block then it's not just terminology you don't know. You don't appear to know the very basics of the style you're pimping.
    Go ask a TKD yellow belt what part of the forearm is being used in that block (let's not debate the use of this movement as a block).

13. itf-taekwondo

Wow.. grown men in here bullying like 10 year olds. Cool...

The block he does in the freeze frame of the video before you press start. The very first blocks he does.

14. bassai

1/ which video ?

2/ PA makes a valid point

3/I thought your dad was a 6th dan "shihan" in Shotokan.

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

In fairness to itf-taekwondo, I don't think English is their first language.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This ain't bullying.
    You are promoting ITF TKD on multiple threads in a very blinkered way that is disregarding the experience of multiple other people. Some with experience of martial arts that borders on the obsessive.
    But it turns out you don't know the basics of the style.
    Which is a bit weird no?
    And you know...this is a martial arts forum where we are supposedly learning how to deal with confrontation.

I think they have a good enough command to know the difference between a fist and a forearm.

17. Hannibal

Smash it's teeth in?

18. Hannibal

Wow, people with no experience getting bent out of shape when they are corrected by people who do have some. Cool..... :rolleyes:

19. itf-taekwondo

Anyone attributing martial arts skills to the colour of a belt or patterns is delusional.

My question stands..

20. Hannibal

Anyone claiming knowledge and experience when they lack both is a fool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.