Differences in ITF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LewisHolder, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

So far as I am aware, no. Point of interest is that the TAGB and ITF in the UK enjoy decent relations last time I checked, so they attend each others tournaments.

The TAGB are a solid TKD orginisation, even if the descend in to hyperbole sometimes e.g. "We're the biggest MA orginisation in the UK with 25,000 members....". Er, no they aren't. The BJA have well over double that membership. And the ABAE has 150,000+ members as of this year.

2. LewisHolder

LewisHolder Valued Member

Thank you so much. I'd like to learn more about TKD.

3. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Go to as many classes as you can. Don't worry so much about TAGB or ITF-NK or ITF-V etc.... Look at the instructor, take a free class (be wary if they don't offer you a free classe/classes), talk to the students. If you can't take a free class, watch a class. Look at the experienced students: Are they good? If they are this points to a good teacher.

If you have a friend or relative who has done MA before, bring them along. They might spot a few things you aren't aware of.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If it's competition you're after, the TAGB is perfect. Probably one of the best fight teams in the world. Last time I checked they ran open training sessions with the team, run by a head coach who I can personally attest is fantastic.

5. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

No offence to the TAGB.. but why 'regardless'?

A black belt Academy! Whats that? ... its just a name to get more students really!

As Master Weiss said.. find a school thats suits you... the rest is just gravy and/or dressing!

Stuart

6. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Thats cos they are forced to are they run, opps sorry, are both part of the BTC ;-)

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you don't mind telling us which city you're nearest we might be able to recommend some clubs :)

Mitch

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

They're pretty unrivalled in terms of opportunities they give their students. And their tournaments are top notch.

9. LewisHolder

I'm based in Camberley, Surrey.

10. Mitch

If you have a look at this map, you can see local TAGB schools, including a couple in Camberley and several nearby.

I don't know the Instructor personally but I've seen him regularly at large tournaments. The website for his clubs is here.

As several people have said, the most important thing is to go along and try it, to see if you get along with the Instructor.

Let us know what you think if you decide to go there :)

Mitch

11. Mitch

And they haz Mitch, innit :D

Though I'm sure if they noticed me they might give me the boot. :D

Mitch

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Were you that creepy guy hanging around the toilets at tournaments claiming he was the 'official TAGB underwear inspector'?

13. LewisHolder

Is it a good club? What's the instructors background?

What about this club:

http://www.surreytaekwondo.com/

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That club is part of ITF England. They got their butts kicked by the TAGB at the BTC Team Championships two years in a row. I know competition fighting isn't everything, but...

15. LewisHolder

Which club are you referring to?

16. LewisHolder

Also is TAGB Taekwondo different from ITF Taekwondo?

17. Mitch

He means that the TAGB (the organisation I linked to) beat the ITF (which the club you linked to is part of).

The TAGB was formed by a group of Instructors who broke away from the ITF in 1983.

As such they teach ITF-style TKD as it was then.

There have been many changes since that point. A pattern at black belt level was dropped and replaced by another one, and most controversially the way in which TKD generates power was changed. "Sine wave" is the name for the new method, TKD used to use hip twist like most karate styles do, not surprising when you remember that TKD originates in karate.

There are other minor differences; I believe ITF sparring is scored slightly differently, but the techniques are the same, for example.

As for the particular club I linked to I don't know the Instructor and have never trained under him, so I can't comment on how good he is/isn't.

In all honesty though, how you relate to the Instructor and how much you enjoy the atmosphere of the club are the most important factors, so go try a few and see what they're like :)

Mitch

18. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

That club has an ITF link to the ITF #3 affiliated with NK.

19. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Such studies are always problematic in that it's virtualy impossible for a person who has trained in one way to perferm with the same proficiency if they change their methodolgies.

Similarly, if different individuals are used how would you adjust for individual proficiencies.

If you are telling me people with little experioence using SW di better using something they had little experience doing I would say that's significant. I would expect a change of habit to elicit a poor response.

20. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

I would be interested in knowing what your understanding of sine wave is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.