Differences in ITF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LewisHolder, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LewisHolder

LewisHolder Valued Member

Hello all, I'm new to Tae Kwon Do. I have read the ITF style has 3 different organisations claiming to be ITF. What are their differences? Which is the true ITF?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

None is the true ITF, not since Gen. Choi died anyway.

Besides, you should look at the individual club and instructor rather than the organisation. (Most tend to break away, anyway!)

3. LewisHolder

What do you mean by that?

4. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Perhaps instead of none being the true ITF, Many are true ITF. As General Choi said during his last appearances he had trained many who could succeed him.

Briefly, in late 2001 General Choi's son split from him taking a surprisingly (at least to me) large contingent with him creating ITF #2. Since that time, at least as far as North America is concerned, many left him, some going their own way and some large factions going to what I will designate ITF #1 below.

Following General Choi's death in June of 2002 there was a memorial service in North Korea in Spetember. After the assemblage left the service they were asked to return to the room where the service took place and the banner for the service was replaced by a banner saying it was an ITF special congress. Lack of advance noice was a violaion of the ITF constitution. Chang ung entered the room and was greeted by applause. An announcement then followed that by this applause Chang Ung was elected the new ITF president.

Those that chose to follow this created ITF #3, (again, a surprise to me that NK had now lived up to the worst expectations) leaving the original group whose constitution provided the Senior VP would act as President until the next congress which was set for the next summer. One of the biggest coups for the NK group was that the Korean GMs promoted by General Choi went with that group. (Again, a surprise to me.) However all 3-4 of those since left that group going independant. (Note TKD Times editor would be a 4th korean GM but I stated 3-4 him since I don't know if he is an "Official" part of the NK group although he certainly has close ties to it.

Following this mess GM Sereff head of the USTF withdrew membership of the USTF from the ITF not aligning with any faction.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Read Earl's reply.

Bottom line: It's near impossible to say objectively which is the "true" ITF (how does one define that anyway?). Too many organisations are concerned with prestige and lineage that they neglect their members. My advice? Stay clear of the ones claiming to be the "true" or "only" whatever.

6. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

To their credit I do not know that any of them claim "We are the true ITF" .
    .Maybe I will grab that one:)

7. LewisHolder

Okay. So What are their differences between the organisations? Do they all teach the same TKD techniques? Or do they differ?

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

They all stem from the original ITF so patterns, terminology etc will be very similar if not the same. My guess is they still teach that silly sine wave nonsense.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Groups that stem from the original ITF have no truck with the "silly sine wave nonsense." :)

TAGB-Mitch :D

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Best decision they ever made. :)

11. LewisHolder

Wasn't this "silly sine wave nonsense" taught by Choi himself in the early 80's?

12. LewisHolder

and it's good they still all teach original ITF

13. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Differences are nominal. It is most important to choose the school . instructer rather than the org.

That being said, there may or may not be philosophical issues that would make you not want to associate with an org.

14. LewisHolder

I'm based in the UK. Is there good schools or instructors here?

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What are your goals in TKD?

My recommendation regardless would be TAGB.

16. LewisHolder

My goals are to learn about TKD, self-defense, competition and to keep fit and healthy. From there I'd join a black belt academy.

17. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

TAGB are probably one of the biggest TKD associations in the UK. They teach Chang Hon TKD (the style of the original ITF), but they left before all that sine wave stuff came in, which I agree is quiet silly. A small study in the University of Limierick got 4 TKD black belts to do straight punches with sine wave and without sine wave. The average punch power was only 0.14% harder than without the sine wave. Hardly conclusive I know, but it suggests the sine wave is more a mental exercise whereby practioners "think" they are doing something that makes them more powerful.

As with any MA class, look at the instructor (are they good at teaching?) and look especially at the senior students in the class. If they are good, chances are the instructor is good.

Martial arts IMO aren't as good for self-defence as the media portrays. So I would focus more on getting enjoyment out of your training. Regardless of your goals, if you don't enjoy training, you won't attend class and your will never reach those goals. So enjoyment of your training should be your main concern.

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'd be interested in a link to that study if you have one please?

Mitch

19. LewisHolder

Thank you so much for your advice. Does ITF teach other styles other than Chang Hon? o_O

20. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.