Difference between Qi gong (chi) and Reiki

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by NO2QIGONG, Oct 5, 2007.

1. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

The main problems I have with modern Reiki are..

1. People can do a WEEKEND or even a one day workshop and set themselves up as healers. This is a nonsense and potentially dangerous to everyone involved.

2. They start to work on people without first working on themselves and getting their own energy unblockages and free flowing.

3. I had to have redeemial (sp?) work after having been treated by a Reiki 'beginner'. (Didn't find out until later that she had only done a two day course and been given carte blanche to go out and treat.)

4. There are a couple of people I am in regular contact with who have expressed a desire to 'do Reiki'. TBH, neither of these people should, imo, be considered fit to learn, let alone practice because of immaturity and vast egos. The thought of them working with people is quite disturbing.

Now, before I get everyone's back up...there are three people who live near me practicing Reiki all of whom did long courses before achieving each level. All three had also been doing Taiji and Qigong for many years first, so they had awareness and sensitivity of their, and others energy.

I think that before Reiki gets a really bad reputation, there should be a much longer learning process...including Qigong work.

Energy healing is something I do for students and have had done for me in the past. This is diffferent to Reiki.

My advice remains to anyone interested in learning Reiki or Qigong....learn the latter. Or at least learn both.

Carys. :Angel:

2. ember

ember Valued Member

^^ Oh, I agree. Worse, some want to charge money for healing while still building up their energies. Hence the part about needing a good teacher.

I am aware of at least one movement afoot to regulate Reiki, but unfortunately the one I'm aware of seems more in it for the money & control than true energy development / healing.

3. Julie (MTA)

Julie (MTA) Banned Banned

OK, so how many people here want these supposed "god-like" powers and what do you plan to do with them?

4. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Practice and don't care about "powers"
    BTW, say hi to JK for me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  5. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Reiki misunderstood.

I think you misunderstand Reiki.

Having a Reiki attunement gives the practitioner no energy or skills of their own.

Reiki is not about building Qi in yourself and giving it to someone else as in QiGong & Qi healing.

Reiki is ONLY about opening youself up as a conduit or channel so that the universal energy aka Reiki can flow "through" the healer into the patient.

An attunement means that you have been "attuned" so that the energy will flow through you.

It is very very important that pepole do not think that Reiki attunements give the person any special skills or additional energy.

The only way to get the special skills and energy is to practice correct forms of QiGong under the guidance of a real teacher.

However taking all that into to consideratin, i'd say stay clear of Reiki, because most people that "practice" it have no idea what they are messing with, and at the very least they are conning themselves and their patients, and at the worst case, they could injure someone or give them a false sense of being cured of something.

If you are ill, go see a medical doctor.
    If you are well, then practice QiGong and you should stay that way.

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I don't think I do...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Absolutely.

Supposedly...where is there any tangable proof.

See above.

No sane person would for a nanosecond.

There are no special skills and energy gained from the practice of QiGong. It is statements such as this that perpetuate myths held by non practicioners.

herbert, I agree absolutely with this statment.

Absolutely.

QiGong is not insurance against future ill health.

Carys :Angel:

7. herbert

herbert Valued Member

QiGong is not insurance against ill health, but all Chinese medical practices are focused on preventative medicine.

Why laugh at the statement about reiki not giving energy to the practitioner?
    I thought that is what you were saying?????

As for the comment about opening a conduit...
    That is exactly what Reiki "claims" is does.
    There is no proof of this just as there is little tangible proof about the existance of Qi or that Qigong gives you any more than a gentle workout.

Please do not misunderstand me.
    I am a practitioner of Gong Fu and Qigong and have been for 20 years, and personally believe in the benefits it brings to me.

It is like a multi layer cake!

The Qigong person doesn't believe in Reiki.
    The hard kung fu guy doesn't believe in QiGong.
    The MMA guy thinks all kung fu is crap.

You should read the threads by JZorya about her opinions on Qi.

You are I believe wrong in this statement.
    You practice QiGong? If you do and you do not believe that you can develop and store Qi then what are you doing?

Subsequently, martial skills can be developed using Qigong.
    Skills of healling can also be developed.

As for Reiki well.....................nuff said

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  8. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

True :D

Nope, I must have given a wrong impression.

It is not possible for me to misunderstand you but it is easy for miscommunication and misunderstanding steming from what we write on a forum...see above :D

Such is life and is not my concern.

I have read every post she has ever written thanks.

No, I am not. There are no special skills and energy.

Yes.

See my previous posts...I have never said I do not believe in the cultivation and storage of Qil

No, imo.

Yes, very true.

Agreed.. :Angel:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007
  9. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

For me, this would depend rather a lot on what was wrong with me. Also, having seen a doctor, I would not necessarily agree to the treatment offered.

10. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Excellent post, CarysB. Ha!

If ever I get to come to UK I definitely want to meet you. No, not as a stocker.
    Good luck. :Angel:

11. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Do you mean 'stalker'?

or

Is stocker a euphamism for something I should be worried about? rotflmao :D

12. nready

Yes! Misspelled word. :D

Seriously, no was else were mentally.

Maybe I should have ran that by that person, that was trying to help my writing.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  13. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Phew!!! :D

:topic: ....English is difficult to get to grips with!

14. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Especially for Americans!!!! :D :D

15. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Naughty boy! :p

Most of the worst english here is written by the English....if you discount slang. ;)

16. herbert

herbert Valued Member

I wish I could remember whom it was that made this wonderful statement, but here it is anyway:

"There is no such thing as American English, only BAD English." :eek:

So Carys, did you find any of those lost clips?

17. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Nooo :cry:

I have some of my form up on youtube though !!

18. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Where on youtube? I can't find you.

19. nready

So do we just type CarysB in the youtube.com search box? ;)

20. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I am not ignoring the 2 last posters...I pm'd them how to find my stuff. :D