Difference between Qi gong (chi) and Reiki

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by NO2QIGONG, Oct 5, 2007.

1. NO2QIGONG

NO2QIGONG New Member

hello everyone, im a beginner in this forum, unfortunetly i ask too many questions for a beginner too. :confused: and i would greatly appreciate these questions being answered. :confused:

Everytime i ask anyone what is the difference between reiki and chi, they say they both energies, and they basically the same. now i know people can learn chi, and to control it to heal and do other amazing things. then why does one need attunement for reiki otherwise they cant do it???

and does this attunement proccess have anything to do with jinns/spirits etc?

also what can someone do after reiki 1, (level 1-attunement) (chi ball?)
    what can one do with reiki when experienced? similar things like shaolin stuff like iron jacket or something like that? will one be able to control the energy to go to certain parts of the body.

In chi, the four main things besides healing one can make himself lighter, make himself feel heavier, be able to hit with great force using chi and be able to protect himself with this chi force. is the same possible with reiki??

and does reiki involve meditation and movements (which i dont mind) ?

is it the same thing john chang (dynamo jack) uses?

thank you and sorry at the same time, i would greatly appreciate it if anyone can answer all my questions. thank you very (and sorry) ;)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

There is a john chang on emptyflower.com. It might be the one you are refering to. I think that john chang does hsingyi.

3. NO2QIGONG

NO2QIGONG New Member

hey man thanks for the reply, i'll ave a look at that link. could anyone answer all of the questions i have ?

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

You're probably thinking of John Wang on emptyflower he does SJ primarily, but not limited too.

Definately not the John Chang healer / qigong exponent of map youtube infamy being refered to by no2qigong - interesting choice of name btw.

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

6. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Wow,
    A lot of questions, I know little about reiki, other than there is not much to it (imo) it has to do more with a few hand mudras and moving some energy here or there. I believe (though not sure) the reason some get the "attunement" is to help clear energy blockages so as to perform reiki better. So if you are doing a good Qigong you are essentially able to do Reiki, from my own exp. However, many of the theories are different.

After reiki level 1??? I have no idea, I went through and exp. very little I personally enjoy my Qigong practice more. I don't believe that you are dealing with Jinns/spirits at anytime with Reiki, nor typically do you with Qigong (this is left up more to Shengong training in Taoist thought). Though there are those that say to be careful with any type of energy work as you can attract these things to you.

Reiki is predominantly healing as far as I know, there will be NO martial applications typically applied with such. Same with Qigong, your main goal is better health. However, there are MA that will work with Qi (such as some shaolin arts you referred to, also Taoist MA) for some Iron shirt, Palm, Silver fingers etc. This is just using the idea of Qi in a different context and making it more Martial.

If you are looking to control the Qi for specific parts of the body look into Qigong. And because Qigong and Reiki have different ideas of practice, if you practice reiki you will not really be focusing on the aspects of Qigong that you mentioned (heavier sensations, lighter etc). Reiki seems a bit more to me like "channeling energy" where as Qigong is more "Working specifically with energy".

In reiki you merely channel the energy to heal through various mudras etc. Where as Qigong you may cleanse the area (purge) first, then work with whether it needs to be Yin or Yang Qi that is worked with, then work with the energy to restore natural balance. In my own exp. Qigong is much more involved than reiki.

As for John Chang by all accounts he does something quite different from either. Hope this all helps a bit. :D
    Almost forgot, don't work on this stuff yourself, you can really cause so physical damage to yourself. You should find a good teacher.

7. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Having practiced QiGong for more than a decade and knowing people who do Reiki...I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

For healing I would always recommend learning Qigong. However, like Taoquan said, never experiment on your own or from books/dvds. You can cause long lasting damage. If interested, find a teacher.

Carys. :Angel:

8. NO2QIGONG

NO2QIGONG New Member

thanks for the great informative replies :) :)

so basically reiki and is qi is the same however the practise of reiki is different to that of qi, qi is more martial whereas reiki is more to do with healing, using the same energies.

thanks guys for this.

9. nready

That was what I was thinking of and who as well.

Thank you Cloudhandz for correcting me.

Yea, I thought he was going to argue out Qigong with use! Relating to his name.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  10. NO2QIGONG

NO2QIGONG New Member

i now understand the difference between reiki and qigong. they both deal with the life force energry, but use it differently. in reiki the person uses symbols for different things. and also reiki is mainly for healing. i dont think in reiki you can do any of the hard martial arts to protect yourself.

in qigong you can. you use this energy in qigong specially for protecting a certain body part with the chi. making your blows harder, making yourself lighter. making yourself heavier. in chi you can also heal.

interesting thing i noticed is, when i look at the reiki books and their content pages, they are totally different to those of qigong books. qigong books have titles such as "learn to emit your chi" and "learn to control your chi" whereas the reiki is more about healing.

i think qigong is a more complete form of the life force, you can do mainly them four things i mentioned above aswell as wat you can do with reiki. still its best to do both. BASICALLY IF YOU DO QIGONG, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO MORE THINGS WITH YOUR LIFE FORCE THAN WITH REIKI WHICH IS JUST HEALING I THINK.

I plan to get an attunement (level 1 reiki) to get me started for qigong and reiki.

thoughts?

11. nready

Now wait, Taoquan did not mean they can't at all be used for that.

At least that is not what I got from it. He said it primary focus is health and healing. It does not mean that what it comes from the Mudras can not be used to develop martial.

The mudras are from the bandhas of India. That is how they are practiced in a dance in India, there are about three hundred hand signs. Some are for health others for mental focus others to stretch just the tendons of the hands.

Hand signs are important, because your hands have the health of your whole body. When your hands feel weak your body will feel weak. When your feet feel weak so will your body. This also relates to when you feel tired it is felt first in the feet and the hands.

When you get a cold or sick it will be felt in the hands or feet first. It will also be felt in the area you are weakest in relation to the organs of your body. There are specific organs related to the specific spots on the hands. Other words you and every person on the planet have certain organs that are weaker than others in there body. When you get sick it will show up in the hands or feet in relation to that particular area of the body that your weakness comes from. Reiki teaches how to balance from the extreme external to effect the internal. Qigong goes from the other side the internal to the outside.

On a personal note, I think Qigongs works faster than Reiki. Reiki has this religious belief system behind it. Qigong if someone is toting a religious thing than ignore it. The thing is each can come off that way very odd religious cultist ideas.

12. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Reiki and Qi are not the same thing.

Qi is the Chinese term for internal energy, and Ki is the Japanese equivilant.

Qigong exercises deal with various methods of gathering, circulating and regulating this energy within the body.

Reiki uses crystals, symbols etc to heal ones-self and/or others by affecting their Qi/Ki flow to resolve problems.

However, as CarysB said, I wouldn't touch Reiki with a very, very long barge pole. QiGong is much more my thing.

Also, why the choice of name? :confused:

EDIT: Also, I know of no-one who uses Reiki for purposes such as Iron Shirt or such. That is not it's purpose. There are specific QiGong exercises to develop such skills.

13. NO2QIGONG

NO2QIGONG New Member

My username? i chose it cos there were no positive ones left :)

yeah i know reiki deals with symbols for various reasons, some to make the reiki do different things and some just for stretches.

yeah i do think qigong is better to practise.

but if i am getting started in qigong, would it boost my chi is i get a level 1 attunement?

14. Dan Bian

I highly doubt it. There aren't any short-cuts.
    I'd say, just get on and practice some Qigong. Pace yourself, only proceed when you are ready to.

15. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

My advice to you would be to study QiGong on it's own. I personally believe that noone should be allowed to practice Reiki on another human being unless they have an extensive knowledge of QiGong.

Qi is a powerful healer and/or a powerful weapon. If someone has inferior knowledge, they can inadvertantly make someone very ill for months or even years.

I speak from personal experience. Whilst experimenting with fajing energy, I
    accidently made a training partner ill. I spent many healing sessions trying to undo the harm and did eventually succeed.

My advice remains the same....I recommend you learn QiGong with a teacher.

Carys. :Angel:

16. Dan Bian

Seconded :)

17. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I've never experienced Reiki so I can't comment with any authority. However, I'd advise people to be very skeptical of it. Qigong is really like a form of exercise, except that instead of your muscles it works your tendons, connective tissues, blood vessels, organs and nerves. It involves real physical changes in your body that cannot occur overnight. Can Arnold perform a ceremony over you and make you have giant muscles? If not, then I'd say the same is true with cultivating the qi. It requires that you put in a lot of consistent work over a fairly long period of time. No one can just zap you and suddenly you have energy skill.

18. Dan Bian

Onyomi,
    let me buy you a beer :)

19. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Big differences between Reiki and Qigong

Reiki:
    It seems almost anyone can do it (I DON'T mean only a select few can do qigong) what I mean is that if you get a lvl 1 attunement you can pretty much do Reiki. That simple, no special training, no time spent sensing energy, no time spent building energy. In fact, my first attunement she said "You do so much Qigong you could probably buy such and such book and do most of reiki." I thought, then what the heck am I wasting my time for?

Reiki seems like a baby step and short cut, kind of the little spin off of Qigong. I have met Reiki masters and to Qigong and other spiritual masters they don't hold a candle.

Qigong:
    Takes A LOT of dedication and hard work, it is just like doing MA. You have to train daily and usually for hours, you also need a teacher. You can learn Qigong THEORY from a book, but practice and theory are two different things. Practice with a master, use books to ask questions and learn. Qigong is much more experiencial, you truly experience the energy and learn more about your own body.

Qigong in itself is MOSTLY healing, if you want to learn Martial arts applications with Qi, do Tai Chi, or Hsing I, or other CMA with a teacher that teaches such. Qigong and MA are NOT the same thing! They have different goals of training and (usually) different philosophies. If you want to learn:

-Iron Shirt (or anything iron)
    -Qinggong (Lightness training)
    -Rooting
    -Etc.

You are better off studying MA that train this way. Qigong is for health ENHANCEMENT and Taoist ideas Longevity practices. Nothing really martial, though Taoist MA do combine the two, but again this is something DIFFERENT.

Hope this helps clear up my post, and thanks to those that commented, you were right that was not what was meant :D

20. Dan Bian

And another beer :cool: