Difference between Pro and Amt?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Axelator, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I had my first fight full contact 2 weeks ago (I won UD). It was k1 rules. Now it was meant to be amateur which I thought meant we would fight with head guards and shin guards. However we only fought with gloves, cups and mouth guards. Essentially the same as pros. So I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between amateur and professional fights? I really cant see the difference between them right now.

We had gloves on too. 12oz.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Quality of the fighters and money.

3. Axelator

Where do they draw the line then? How can you tell between a crap pro fighter and a great amateur fighter? The pros fighting in the same event as me were getting paid using the same system which was a cut of tickets sold.

4. Moi

Fight record. A pro fighter as such isn't a Proffessional fighter, most of them aren't full time. There just isn't the money in the sport.
    Fighting K1 rules (respect) isn't going to make you a whole lot of money considering how long it take to get ready for a fight and the damage you can recieve.
    The best way to make money is to win a few fights and sell as many tickets as you can.

5. Axelator

Ah ok thanks. Just one more thing, don't fighters wipe their record clean when they start fighting Pro? I hear the commentators on k-1 bouts say things like "This guy has 80 amt fights". Yet their record is only about 4-1.

I was quite lucky in my fight. I rocked him quite early on then he was mainly just covering up the rest of the fight. I had a big welt on my inside left leg (he was south paw) from leg kicks as I train under American kickboxing rules so I forgot to check them. Also I hurt my left foot from kicking him.

6. Moi

They're different records as you say.

You've done well. When's the next one?

Edit: Have a word with Fire Cobra to get the finer points of Pro/Am. He's been in the game for ever.

7. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Congrats on the win :)

As MD said its the quality of fighters I've not seen a full contact fight with any protection really apart from gloves. Only time you tend to pad up is semi contact and below (i.e head guard etc)

8. Axelator

Thanks.

Thanks for the answers too.

I don't know about the next fight. I want to move into MMA but I love k1 kickboxing too.

9. Moi

Just do both. Whatever comes up when you're ready fight to the rules.
    That's my plan with my little baby.

10. legkicker

legkicker Valued Member

Hi axelator which club do you train at and where was this fight?
    Im from england too so im interested

11. Axelator

No offence but I don't really want to loose my anonaminity and if I tell you that I will. :)