Difference between D'arce and anaconda?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Southpaw535, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've looked both of these subs up and I'm struggling to find a difference between the two other than possibly whether you lock your arms up against their neck on against their trapped arm. I thought they might of been the same but anaconda had a gator roll but that doesn't seem right and I've never really heard the two used interchangably either. So what is the difference between the two?

Also I was wondering about effectiveness on one of them but I don't think I'll right this very clearly so sorry and ignore it if it makes no sense.
    Anyway, looking at videos the D'arce seems to be a normal arm triangle but with the arms locked in a rear-naked grip(always do these with the same hand-on-inside-elbow grip as an rnc so thats what I call it) on the free side of the neck. If I'm right then I'm confused how that works? My understanding of a normal triangle choke is you lock your legs on the same side as the opponents trapped arm because that way his arm and your knee/thigh constrict the arteries.
    Obviously thats how a d'arce/anaconda works as well just with the arms, so wouldn't having the rnc grip on the opposite side to the trapped arm make the choke harder since the hand gripping your elbowgets in the way more than just using your elbow as you would if you locked up on the same side as his trapped arm a la' a triangle choke?

Made that as clear as I could if it makes no sense at all I can try and get it on video to make it clearer.

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I believe the darce is the one where the forearm sits on the neck and the anaconda is the one where the bicep sits on the neck.
    The way I was told, the darce is named so because it's more painful, making you d'****.

Anyway, they both work just like doing a triangle on the wrong side still works. The difference is, the limbs you're using are much smaller and the position is different. It makes the escape that works so well on the weaker wrong-side triangle a little more difficult.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. Southpaw535

Thanks for the reply, so an anaconda is just a deeper d'arce?
    Had no idea a triangle works the other way round

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Not exactly. With the anaconda, you reach under uke's neck and your hand comes out from under his armpit.
    With the darce, you reach under the armpit and the hand comes out from under his neck.

And the triangle isn't great that way but it does work. It usually gets the sub from crushing the clavicle as the cinching point creates some space next to the choking point on the neck. With the Darce, your forearm is directly on the neck at the choking point, so that issue doesn't exist.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. JSun

JSun Valued Member

6. Southpaw535

Cheers man interesting article and a good video. Definately working on this next week

7. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

The D'arce Choke (aka Brabo choke) and the Anaconda choke differ in setup and finish.

In the D'arce Choke (which gets its name from Joe D'Arce, a Renzo blackbelt based out of Long Island), the opponent has to be on his side to start off with, so you can get the proper arm placement. Common positions from where you set this up is when you are topside half guard but your opponent has an underhook, or when your opponent turtles, and you dump him onto his side with a modified head and arm control.

The figure four - where the hand is put in the bicep - is on the "inside", against his neck. You actually have to really push the crown of his head as you upper cut your arm deep around his neck to get your forearm choking one carotid artery, while his shoulder cuts off his other carotid artery. If your forearm is too shallow, it turns into a neck crank. The finish for this choke is usually to sit your hips out and walk your feet towards his while pushing your hips forward.

The Anaconda is usually set up from when your opponent turtles and you have the front headlock. The figure four - where the hand is put in the bicep, is on the "outside", under his armpit/shoulder. The finish for this is in fact a gator roll which puts him on his side after the arms are set up, and then circle walking your legs to his lower half.

You will hear D'arce and Anaconda used interchangeably sometimes, especially by MMA commentators who aren't versed in grappling - THEY ARE NOT THE SAME SUBMISSION.

8. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

The difference really is just whether the wrapping arm is the one on the arm or the one on the head. Yes the finishes usually differ to, but i've seen side anacondas in the manner of d'arces, bridging anacondas, rolling d'arces, etc.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

FWIW they really suck when you are having someone less experienced slapping them on and they muscle through them. Ugghh... my upper lip can attest to that. :(

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

anaconda is head and arm, darc is arm and head :) oh and you dont have to gator roll the anaconda

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011