Difference between British Judo Association and the British Judo Council?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by TheGunslinger, Sep 13, 2004.

1. TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger New Member

Hello, what is the difference between British Judo Association and the British Judo Council please?

2. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

the BJA are the recognised international body. if you want to go in the olympics then you must be a member of the BJA. competition in the BJA is also more intense as more people attend their tournaments. in general.
    depends what you want out of judo, to be a good competition fighter or just study the techniques. BJC do produce some good fighters however, all the british legends are BJA.

3. Graham

Graham Valued Member

So are the BJA more sport oriented then? If I wanted more 'pure tecnique', would a BJC club be a good place to start?

4. judojedi

yea you could say that, however there might not be a BJC club by you. AJA is a good association as its focuses on theory more than contest. at least it does in my area.

i would say go to the nearest judo club and try it, then try some others. i have to travel 14miles to get to my 'home' club which is AJA, i also travel around to some BJA and BJC clubs.

in my experience, BJA train harder and sweat more and tend to win in tournaments alot more, AJA know more theroy, kata and history and have a larger vocabulary but in my experience lack disipline and BJC tend to grade students up faster, be very disiplined and have the most fun in class.

these obsevations are based mainly on kids classes but the same sort of thing is reflected in senior classes.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

BJC classes also cover self defence aspects of Judo.

6. If I have "X" belt with one, I'm guessing that it can't be transferred to another. For example, If I'm a champion with the BJC 6th Dan whatever (I'm not BTW ;)) and I wanted to compete in the Olympics, would I still hold a 6th Dan?

7. judojedi

no. at least i dont think so. i'm pretty sure the grades worn by players in the olympics are for the recognised governing bodies. besides, you wouldn't get picked for the team if you wasn't BJA so you wouldn't make it to the olympics.

BUT, if you were, for example, an unbeatable judo player, who just so happend to not be in the BJA then i'm not to sure what would happen. my guess is, you would have to join the BJA and do a grading, this grading would probably see you upto 1st dan. you could then compete for a place in the british squad to then go to the olympics and world championships.

8. I no this seems a silly question, but...

Do you HAVE to be a 1st DAN or higher to be selected fo the British team? Just strikes me there could be some good lower belts who just so happened to not be able to get to the gradings etc. :rolleyes: Tell me if I'm being ignorant ;)

9. judojedi

no your not being ignorant. :)
    i've seen brown belts in the olympics and in the para olympics (which for judo was a hell of a lot more exiting) i even seen a green belt.
    BJA gradings are more about winning the fights than knowing certain techniques. in therory, you could go from white belt to black belt in one leap should have the skill.

the BJA grading i went to (i'm AJA mainly), you show your syllabus techniques against no resistance, then you start your fights for your grade. to earn your grade, you have to beat someone who already holds that grade, plus a number of other fights (the number of other fights depends on the grade you're going for). if someone of the desired grade is not available, then you must beat two players of the next grade down.
    for example, if you was a 6th dan AJA wanting to transfer over to BJA to compete in the olympics, you would come to the grading as a white (or red) belt. show technique for yellow, show technique for orange, for green, for blue, for brown then for black.
    you would then have your fights. i think the requirment would be something like: 6 fights, 2 vs black belts, 4 vs brown belt. minimum requirment would be 5 wins or 4 wins and a draw so long as a dan grade has been defeated. the other brown belts would be going for black aswell, so they would really be going for it.

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I wasn't aware that it was possible to go straight to dan grade in the BJA. When I was a member you had to have spent at least 6 months as a 1st kyu before testing for shodan.

11. judojedi

yes, i believe this is the case for if you grade up through the BJA, however if you hold a dan grade in another assoc, then you can grade in order to transfer your grade. i could be wrong however, as i said in a previous post, i'm an AJA man mainly.

12. Aegis

ahh, ok. My mistake :)

13. Is it possible to go to a grading and get Nothing?

I say this because having done the MON grades for a while I never saw anyone come back with nothing. Now I'm on the KYUs I thought I might aswell ask :)

14. judojedi

yea its possible. you dont see it that oftern though, especially not with the kids. in our local association, and in the AJA, we dont have mon's, we have the belt and then tabs. we start on white (missng red out for some reason) and go for yellow, if we miss yellow we can still get upto three tabs on our white belt.
    green belt is the highest junior should wear, and just have three blue tabs, then three brown tabs, then three black tabs. but where we are, we say if you get three blue tabs you can wear the blue belt etc.
    when the kids get to go for thier black tabs, the assessors get very strict and i've seen 'nothing' to be the result of the a 4 hour grading. once, the senior dans in our area where talking of stripping someone of the grade they were holding cos they just wasn't good enough. i think they was wearing a brown belt, but had never done kata. in our local assoc and AJA you need kata for brown. BJA (i think) you only need kata for 2nd dan.

so in short, yes it is possible to be awarded nothing and although i've never seen it, it is possible to be down graded as well.

15. Aegis

I'm not sure if it's happened yet, but the BJA was bringing in requirements for kata to the kyu grades, and not just brown. If I recall correctly, the Nage-no-Kata was required for 1st kyu in it's entirety, though it's been some time since I've actively trained with the BJA, so someone more current can probably shed more light on the situation.

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Aegis, not sure about the BJA but the SJF has the Go No Sen No Kata for brown belt and a section of the Nage No Kata is to be introduced for the 1st Dan.

Unfortunately there are few coaches to 'grade' (or even know) the kata so its being delayed whilst they have some BJC coaches teach it to them :eek:

17. judojedi

lol :D

18. zanflad

zanflad Banned Banned

who are the , AJA ?

19. judojedi

:eek: are you being sarcastic?

in case your not, the AJA is the Amature Judo Assocciation (of great britain)

just for referance, BJA - british judo association, BJC - british judo council, SJF - scottish judo federation, IJF - international judo federation etc etc etc the list goes on and on.

why so many? simple......MONEY

20. zanflad

zanflad Banned Banned

not beeing sarcastic, just thinking about doing some judo, it seems to mostly BJC round here.