Diet recommended for gaining weight

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

thats dietary factors not genetic.

looking purely at genetic factors, people of european descent are lucky when it comes to insulin related diseases.

but MugenZero - the key is simple: more meals, more protein, more exercise

2. Mangosteen

actually darwin would frown on you for not noticing the importance of heritable variation in a population. this might actually be due to epigenetics though and acquired inheritance (okay maybe darwin would cry)

anyway Fish, you miss my point. im not saying it's unachievable, and what may work for you isnt the same as another population. Im not saying anything about height or jackedness I'm not turning this into an argument about race or a competition. nor am i using this as an excuse for anyone (in fact i've begun training more frequently and harder after learning about the ethnicity issues myself)

it'll take twice as much work for a south asian at the same level of V02max to burn the same amount of fat as a european. this has been established well enough that they are actually changing the current physical activity guidelines to be ethnicity specific http://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/DPC_Speakers2013/Wed/15.40_Wed_Gill_Hall.pdf

especially if you consider that most south-asians are insulin resistant by 8 years old. therefore slightly different approach to diet and training might be needed (stricter diet and more exercise)

look at these guys compared to the hundred of folk around them who arent anywhere close.

i mean, physiologists categorise south asians as "thin-fat"

look at the studies on south asian kids having shorter gestational period, higher adiposity, lower muscle mass and hyper insulinemia from birth.
    genetics are against them but it doesnt mean that getting bigger and leaner isnt achievable, it's just more work and a stricter diet.

physical activity has been shown in loads of studies with non caucasians (on the same intake as caucasian) to be the only moderator of insulin resistance (e.g. pima indians and mapuche people).

Seriously, read this presentation - it explains it much better than i can
    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/DPC_Speakers2013/Wed/15.40_Wed_Gill_Hall.pdf

OP - a good diet is what steve said. stop eating ice cream, snacks, chips and candy. eat a big amount of protein first with each meal and follow that with green veggies. after training pound down protein and carbs. train hard frequently

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

In fairness, you can probably make pictures like that for every ethinicity under the sun.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

The pictures where just to tease you, I'm having no part in any discussion where the word ethnic is involved :p

I know this is what you are researching at the mo and you clearly have built a great knowledge base.

The South Asians being insulin resistant by 8 thing, is this due to the mental carb based diet they all follow? I've a couple clients living on rice and noodles at the mo who just put up a brick wall when I try to talk to them about it because "works for the Asians"

Genuinely interested, in all this dunno if it's worth the mods shifting the debate elsewhere because I've a feeling there could be some good knowledge shared provided it doesn't go all race card straight away.

Also that second image is one of my favourites, can't remember the full back story but the dude lived in what most of us would call a pretty grim area, drank butter for calories never saw a supplement in his life and is strong as hell regardless.

5. Mangosteen

yeah wondering if mods can move the mods can move the ethnicity stuff to a new thread?

6. Mangosteen

it might be in part but they found over all macronutrient intake to be the same with south asians and caucasian, but self report changes habits.
    (south asian = brown)

and brown babies have super high insulin when born, it just destroys insulin sensitivity by the time they reach 8.

is this guy the olympic wrestler?
    standard indian wrestler diet is full of ghee.
    its likely genetics (long family wrestling lines exist in india) and plenty of exercise with high calories

7. seiken steve

It was in an article about Indian wrestlers and 'true' yoga (the mental stick balancing stronger than an Olympic gymnast stuff) but it so far NSFW I'd have to PM you it if you wanted it,he goes over the ghee drinking in it which blew my mind!

Wow wouldn't have thought that about macronutrients being equal to South Asians in the uk.

Actually now I think about it it's really not that shocking at all, cereal toast and sandwhiches make up 2/3rds of most peoples meals where I live, usually asked down with orange juice.

Do we know why South Asians are born with insulin like they've just downed 10 lucozades?

8. Mangosteen

either evoluntionary genetics because of period of feast and famine acting as a selection pressure = basically those with low insulin sensetivity (constant high insulin secretion) would pack on fat in feast times and survive through famines better because of the fat.

but that would mean europeans never had any famines, which is untrue.

so the alternatives are:
    - europeans did have the same high insulin secretion genetics but as food sources got better, those with high insulin secretion died from diabetes or heart disease before they reproduced too much and the remaining population spawned from those who could handle lots of food.

or

- europeans and south asians have the same low insulin secretion genetics but there are extra/epi-markers on your genetics (epigenetics) that cause high secretion and are hereditable across a number of generations. in the womb, babies get these extra markers from lack of food and then can pass these markers on with genes to their children leading to babies born with high insulin secretion despite never having experienced famine in their or their parents life time.
    (see the Dutch Hunger Winter, where this occured with europeans e.g. Audrey Hepburn)

europeans may have lost these markers through subsequent generations with adequate food or those with the markers have less reproductive success and less children are born from them but the exact mechanism is unknown as epigenetics is a really new field but it's been seen in mice and some human habits that epigenetics are hereditable across generations.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  9. seiken steve

So is cancer higher risk with South Asians then?

Surely that would tie the "high levels of elevated insulin and oxidisation and eventual cancer" argument right up?

Also I bet culture had an effect in "selective breeding"

In South Asia bigger folk are considered a safe wealthy and desirable mate, Caucasians haven't had that tradition for years and years. Right?

10. Mangosteen

never heard about the insulin and cancer relation. but in terms of competing mortality with men, if diabetes or a heart disease doesnt get you, prostate cancer will. survive that and you are basically immortal

yeah this was the criticism i had on som of the studies.

theres a lot of selective breeding in south asia but thats again because they have been through famine so a fatter mate looks like one to pass on better famine surviving genes to kids.

that and the fact the had looked only at babies who's parents can afford healthcare and live in cities = rich people
    or even south asian doctors in the uk (some who have moved recently and are likely to be well off)

however the studies done on people in rural india compared to urban india and south asian indians show that the more urbanised
    and rural indians still had higher insulin levels than europeans unaffected by diabetes (even with lots of physical activity).
    and past famines would hit the porrer people harder so if this insulin issue is affecting the rich, its definitely affecting the poor

it'll honestly take a lot more study but the studies on other ethnic groups confirm that europeans got some lean genetics on them suited for modern urbanised life.
    like indigenious and european chileans in both urban and rural environments show that europeans are pretty unique with low insulin levels while the ingenious had high ones even in rural areas where they were performing more physical activity than european

when they had factored class in, they still found european chileans had low fasting insulin than indigenious chileans (although class at time birth when chile had a really terrible economy and government may have caused an epigenetic effect)

but it seems that the longer you have been urbanised as a population - the better. europeans did that quite early.

also scary point steve - anything you do in your lifetime; diet, drugs, exercise or drink could have some odd consequences on your kids.

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

@ero: i DID say i was oversimplifying a lot.

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh lawdy, it was a joke good sir! Don't smileys mean anything anymore?

The oversimplifying had me worried about what I thought I knew for a bit, and almost had me cracking open my PT books. :p

All that said, this thread is going into some deep stuff. :eek:

13. seiken steve

Best start training some arms them, come from a line of blokes with great forearms and no guns. I owe it to my kids, haha.

14. Mangosteen

I better start training in general!

15. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

In a previous post I made here, I said that I put 20 kgs almost solely by drinking milk, but it's not that healthy..

I tested my cholesterol levels yesterday and it seems that it was increased a lot the last few months. I have 222.0 and the reference range is 130-200 mg/dl. They told me that's a lot for a 22 years old guy.

So no more milk for me!:(
    I'll try use the information provided here and follow a more sane approach in my diet..

16. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Nuts are good and easy way to gain a lot of calories without needing to eat so much that you have to vomit. Even couple fistfuls of them have a lot of calories.

17. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Nuts? Any specific kind of nuts or generally all kinds of nuts.