Diet: late night random thoughts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pesilat, May 30, 2003.

1. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

This is a tangent to the recent thread: "Mother doing atkin's diet."

If you're interested in reading about my personal weight loss story, visit http://guild-hall.com/diet_pics

However, here are some things about the diet scene (at least in America) that I've noticed since I started paying more attention to such things last year.

There are a lot of obese people in America. I'm not talking about people who are just overweight and could stand to lose a few pounds. I'm talking about people who are seriously rotund and whose health is at risk because of it.

My wife is a Weight Watchers member (I'm not much of a joiner so I just used her materials to figure out the point system and did it on my own). She goes to the meetings and she tells me about some of the people there.

I talk to various people online and in person about dieting.

A lot of people want to lose weight ... but they don't want to work for it. It's the same attitude I find in martial arts (and I'm sure we've all run into it). "Just give me a pill or something that'll do all the work for me."

There is no magic pill, shake, or otherwise that's going to do all the work for you. Supplements can be helpful in balancing the diet. Getting the nutrients without added calories/fat/carbs/etc. But they're not a magic bullet.

I'll speak from the perspective of the Weight Watcher's points system because that's what I'm most familiar with. Basically, you get a certain number of points per day. The points are calculated based on calories, fat, and fiber. How many points you're allotted in a day depends on your height and weight (though there's also room for some personalization if you're losing weight too fast or too slow).

At this point, I have 27 points per day. The goal isn't to eat only 20 points per day. If I do that, I'll lose weight ... but it probably won't be healthy. The goal is to come as close to 27 as I can without going over.

Now, 27 points of food isn't really a lot of food. If everything I ate were fat free and without fiber, then 27 points would only be about 1350 calories per day. Throw 10 grams of fat in there, and I'm down to about 1300 calories. Throw 10 grams of fiber in there, and I'm up to 1400 calories (fiber is a good thing ... the body has to work harder to process fiber so it burns extra calories in doing so). But, even still, 1400 calories isn't a lot of food. But, basically, this gives a good basis for what should be eaten. Low calorie, low fat, high fiber ... this combination will mean you get to eat more food.

But it's still not a lot of food. If I stay right around 27 points per day, I will lose weight. It may happen quickly, but it'll probably happen slowly. Nonetheless, though, I'm going to feel deprived because I'm not eating much food.

That's where exercise comes in. If I spend 5 minutes doing heavy workout (i.e.: sprinting, running a vigorous form, sparring, grappling, etc), then I get another point. If I spend 10 minutes doing moderate exercise (i.e.: walking, running a not-so-vigorous form, light sparring, drills), I get 1 point. If I spend 20 minutes of light exercise (i.e.: leisurely stroll, Tai Chi, etc.) I get a point.

So, if I teach a class for an hour (which is usually moderate exercise for me), I get 6 points back. 6 points can be enough for a fish and rice dinner with a granola bar as a snack. Or, it's enough to indulge in a donut.

If I go on a walk with my wife, I can rack up another 4 - 6 points. If I spar for a half hour, I've racked up another 6 points or so.

Now, suddenly, I'm not restricted to that 1400 calories / day. I'm able to eat 2000 - 2500 calories / day. I don't feel deprived at all and I'm getting exercise which keeps all my cardio, muscular, and neural functions sharp.

Without the exercise, I might lose weight, but I'd feel deprived and I wouldn't stick at it long enough to actually accomplish anything. And as soon as I stop dieting, I'll put the weight back on.

By watching my intake and getting plenty of exercise, I'm able to lose weight, thin down, and tone up. I don't feel deprived at all. Over time, this all becomes habitual. It ceases to be "a diet" and becomes "my diet." I'm not "on a diet" ... it's just the way I eat and live. Over time (within a few months), it becomes a lifestyle change.

Is it possible to lose the weight without exercise? Sure. But you gotta have an iron will to suffer through the feelings of deprivation.

So, if you're trying to lose weight, find a diet that works for you (this will help you change your eating habits). Then get off your couch and work out (this probably won't be a revelation for most people here ... and most people here probably already work out -- but if you know anyone who's trying to lose weight, pass this advice on to them).

Sorry about this long-winded ramble. It's late and I should be asleep. But this diatribe (or, maybe, it should be "diet-tribe") just wouldn't keep its peace.

Mike

2. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Excellent post, Pesilat.

One particular thing about your post stood out to me as the most valuable:

This is why fad diets are next to useless.

Also, another reason not to diet but to change your lifestyle is because nutritionists, exercise gurus, health care workers, doctors, etc. are all beginning to agree on something. Fit is more important than fat. What this means is that if you are thin and unfit you are actually worse off than if you are fat (overweight) yet fit. Fit can be as little as 30 minutes of moderate to intense exercise three times a week.

The biggest lifestyle factors that pose a risk to your health include:

Sedentary lifestyle
    Smoking
    Obesity
    Family History of heart disease, etc., etc.

The list is quite extensive. However, if the only thing on your list is a sedentary lifestyle but you are not overweight, don't smoke, etc., you are actually worse off than someone that is overweight, smokes, has a family history of heart disease, etc., but is not sedentary, when it comes to cardio/pulmonary health risks.

Therefore, weight loss without exercise is not only bad in the short term, it poses a long term health risk. Being fit is essential to being healthy, regardless of your weight. Ergo, eat well, exercise regularly and you will be healthy and almost certainly not overweight. Being in good shape is a byproduct of a healthy lifestyle, just like obesity is a byproduct of an unhealthy lifestyle.

And like Pesilat said, there are no shortcuts or magic pills. The weight watchers system is just a method of putting points onto a healthy lifestyle. You lose points as you eat and gain points as you exercise.

Just common sense, really, huh! ;)

3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Some good points, Mo.

Yeah, before I started losing weight, I was in that fat but fit.

I'm 5'8" and, at my heaviest, I weight about 290 lbs. (For all you metric folks, that's about 173 cm and about 131 kg (or, for you "stoners", not quite 21 stone).

While, according to charts, I was "severely obese" ... I was actually in decent shape. My resting heart rate was about 74 (which is considered "average" ... for someone that much overweight, 74 is an amazing resting heart rate). I didn't move like most "severely obese" people ... in fact, most people who knew me assumed I was about 250 ("severely overweight" according to the charts).

But the charts are by no means an accurate measure for me ... or a lot of others. The charts assume average muscle mass and bone density. For people with less than average muscle mass and/or bone density, the chart will consider them underweight when they are actually at their ideal weight. For people (like me) with above average muscle mass and bone density, my "ideal" weight (according to the charts) would be unhealthy.

According to the charts, my ideal weight is about 155 lbs. I would be emaciated at that weight. Right now, I'm at about 195 and most people think I'm at about 155. My estimate is that my ideal weight is actually around 180. But 15 pounds over the ideal isn't a bad place to be.

But you're right, Mo. When I was 290, I was very fat, but still (CV speaking) fit. I could (and did) run circles around people (CV-wise) who "looked" a lot more fit than I did. Now my resting heart rate is in the upper 50s (the last time I checked, it was 57). I haven't changed anything in my exercises to improve CV ... just losing the weight made the change.

Because of my active lifestyle, I've always been very CV fit ... but at 290, CV fitness had a very different meaning than it now does at 195. I was fit then, but I was fighting a losing battle.

The reason I started losing weight was that my knees and ankles started giving me problems. At first, I chalked it up to age and heredity. Then it started affecting my MA training. At that point, I thought to myself, "Self, there's nothing we can do about the hereditary joint problems. But the weight certainly isn't helping matters. We can lose the weight."

What I realize now is that I was on a downward spiral. My weight was affecting my joints and increasing the progress of the hereditary problems. My joint problems were affecting my workouts. And, in turn, I was going to start gaining more weight because I was going to be exercising less ... my body would have forced me to exercise less because of the joint problems.

Now, I'm, literally, in the best shape of my life. I've never been this trim. But I'm still getting older. My joints still gripe more than they did 5 or 10 years ago. It takes me longer to recover from minor injuries than it did 5 or 10 years ago. And I'm only 32.

I know, now, that losing the weight was incredibly important for me. I'm going to continue getting older and my body is going to continue to slow down. But the weight would have sped up that process considerably. And the weight would have increased my risks of injury (i.e.: I fall and, because of the weight, I dislocate my knee instead of merely spraining it). And injury would have taken another toll on my ability to exercise and ... and ... and ... most likely, I would have been caught in a descending spiral and, at 55 or 60 (if I was lucky to get there) I would probably have had something serious happen that would have made my remaining years considerably more uncomfortable.

Now, at least from a health perspective, I should have another 40 or 50 years of comfortable life, instead of 30 or 40 at the outside. And, given the longevity of my family, I've probably got 50 - 60 good years left in me now that I've dumped my albatross and moved on :)

Mike

4. KY23

KY23 New Member

I got out of the Marine Corps back in '95. When I got out I was 165 lbs and 8% body fat.

Last month I was 193 lbs and 29% body fat.

I started eating low carbs. It makes me feel so good so far that I'm not considering myself on a diet..I'm going to continue to watch my carb intake.

As of this morning I'm 178 lbs and 26% body fat. I would love to be back down to 165 lbs and under 15% body fat.

I just started taking Judo/Jujitsu and working out again. The Judo workout is so intense I don't think it will take me long.

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Cool.

I just found an interesting site: http://www.he.net/~zone/prothd2.html

It seems to calculate body fat % and, more to the point, "ideal" weight pretty accurately (at least based on my personal estimates for myself). According to it, I'm currently at 19% body fat. My lean body mass is 158 lbs. And my "ideal" weight is about 182.

Of course, I don't know if it's that accurate or not, but it seems to jibe with my own personal estimates for myself.

I do know that my waist was 43 - 44" a couple of years ago ... now it's 34.5" ... fortunately, I wear sweats most of the time so I haven't had to spend a lot of money overhauling my wardrobe (though I have had to do some of this).

Mike

6. KY23

KY23 New Member

I purchased one of those scales that tell your body fat percentage. It sends a signal through one foot and records how fast it gets to the other foot. It seems pretty accurate compared to the Marine Corps way of measuring your waist your thighs and your neck compared to your weight.

I know it isn't full proof but its a simple way to track progress.

7. KY23

KY23 New Member

pesilat,

Thanks for that link. I went to it entered my data. According to the results I'm 17% body fat and my ideal weight is 172.

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Hey ... that sounds pretty cool. And relatively accurate. Always wondered how those scales worked, but never gave it a whole lot of thought. I may have to look into getting one of them.

Mike

9. KY23

KY23 New Member

I live in the same town you do...if you want we can hook up sometime and you can try it out before you buy one.

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. That'd be pretty cool. Also, I'm always interested in hooking up with other martial artists. Feel free to PM me, e-mail me, or call me (all my info can be found at my website at http://impactacademy.com )

Mike

11. KY23

KY23 New Member

I talked to you the other day...you have my e-mail. I'm the one that use to train with Eddie.

12. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Oh yeah ... I thought that might be you.

I'll shoot you an e-mail and we can try to arrange a hook up :)

Mike

13. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

i have bout 1400 calories a day anyway and i still work out, is that healthy?

14. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Depends on your height/weight (loosely) and, more specifically, on your specific physical attributes.

Give me your height/weight/age, and I can tell you what Weight Watchers would recommend.

Mike

15. grandmaster mat

im 5'10/11, i weigh bout 9 stone 10 pounds and im 16

16. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. Sounds like you're doing fine. What WW recommends would be 23 points. Which works out to abot 1150 calories per day (without any fat or fiber adjustments).

If you eat a lot of high fiber and low fat stuff, then you'd easily be in the range of 1200 - 1250 calories. If you do moderate exercise for even an hour a day, then you're looking at 1300 - 1350 calories. And that's to *lose* weight. If you're maintaining, then you could easily add another 100 - 200 calories to that and still be good.

And, of course, all the standard caveats apply: I'm not a medical professional and this is just my layman's estimate ... take it for what it's worth.

Mike

17. grandmaster mat

thanks pesilat, is there a website saying wat food is worth how many points?

18. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

A pretty good one is at http://dwlz.com/WWinfoTOC.html

Then, at your weight, I'd estimate that an hour of moderate exercise is about 3 points for you. An hour of heavy exersice is probably about 7 points and an hour of light exercise is probably about 2 points.

Mike

19. grandmaster mat

wel i do at least 4 hours of quite heavy martial arts every weeks, 8 hours max

20. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I hope you're not trying to lose weight? It doesn't sound like you need to lose any weight at all. Unless you've got incredibly small bones.

You might use this stuff to maintain your weight or, possibly, even to bulk up, I suppose. Though I'm not really sure it's applicable to building muscle.

But from your description, I wouldn't think that you need to lose any weight (unless I'm miscalculating your weight ... 9 stone 10 pounds = 136 pounds, right?)

Mike