diet an exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by big e, Dec 2, 2002.

1. big e

big e New Member

ok i dont really know much bout mixing ya diet with exercises
    an what foods are good for what an blah blah blah
    so . . .

whats your diet like for a typical day an what exercise do ya do

heres mine - this is pretty poor

i only train 3 times a week
    tuesday - 7-8:30pm kickboxing
    thursday - 7-8:30pm kickboxing
    saturday - 3-5:00om jkdc

so in total thats like 5 hours trainin in a week
    jeez... thats not good

my diet basically stays the same no matter what day

it starts of with me missin breakfast
    apart from a cup of tea when i wake up
    an gettin bout 2 or 3 nutrigrain bars an a bottle of pepsi max from local garrage on way to work

then probably around 11ish
    kit kat chunky an dairy milk (king size)

then dinner time ( 1:00pm )
    usually ham butties - 8 rounds - i dunno wether 8 rounds is good every day an a bottle of pepsi max ( again )

then most of the time nothin till about 9pm
    looooooooong gap wiv no food - not good
    work at woolies at night ( 5 till 9 ) an not allowed to eat or drink

for tea ( around 9 ) somethin like chickin an chips or fish an chips
    i eat way too many chips

ok now i feel ashamed when ive got it all down infront of me i dint realize how bad i eat an how much exercise i do

so what should i do to improve it?
    any ideas?

aslo whats ur diet an trainin like?
    do u think urs needs improvin?

2. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Stop eating so much crap.

Yeh, stop eating so much crap.

Diet:
    3 pieces of fruit a day. Very little veg. Relatively high protein, low to moderate carbohydrates. Too many microwave meals (no time to cook). Daily vitamin, mineral and cod liver oil supplements.

Exercise each week:
    3 weights sessions, totalling about 4 hours - high reps, moderate weights
    3 to 5 high intensity cardio sessions, 20 mins each

Training:
    teach once (that's not training I know)
    2 one-to-one sessions with students (total 4 hours)
    Solo training as and when I can fit it in - run through kata most days, bits of bagwork, anything from 5 mins to 1 hour, occasionally 2.

Oh yes! More fresh home cooked food. And more training. Ideally partner training every day. I don't do anything like I used to, but with the pressures of having 2 jobs its about all I can manage. Having lived a hermitic existence training whenever possible in the past, its also nice to have a social life these days.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  3. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

I'm a diabetic so I have to pay very close attention to what I eat in an attempt to keep my blood sugar somewhat in balance.

I take a multi vitamin and mineral supplement, an extra vitamin E and deorderized garlic. It's important to keep your body well hydrated so plenty of water especially during training.

I do a minimum of 20 minutes of stretching in the morning followed by pushups, crunches, skipping rope and idf time
    allows sometimes kata.

Do another 20 minutes of stretching to undwind before going
    to sleep.

I catch a regular class when I can but for the past few months I've been training one on one with a partner because of work
    responsibilities. These sessions are more intense then a regular class and last anywhere from a minimum of 2 1/2 hrs to 4 hrs.
    at least 4 times a week. The sessions include drills, kata, sparring, self denfense, etc.

I do solo drills, practice basics and do kata on my own.

There's always room for improvement but right now this
    works for me.

HEY MIKE!
    You sound happy.
    Walking on clouds is good for the soul. (giggle)

4. Mike Flanagan

De-odourised? Where's the fun in that? Actually, the thing I miss most about not doing much cooking, is that I can't splash everything with a bit of garlic.

That's oodles of partner training, I'm jealous.

Does that mean you've had a chance to try out any of the vital points we discussed?

Sshhh! Walking on clouds is a very advanced technique and I don't like to talk about it much.

Mike

5. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Mike,
    I use garlic in cooking too.

I've played with points a little but my partner doesn't see the benefit of points, has no interest and I don't think he fully trusts
    me to play with him that way. LOL! That sounded funny.

What? Cloud walking......closed door techinque! Shhhhhhhh!

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

You do eat some crap big e, you can probably get away with it with being young without putting weight on. I used to be the same, all I ate was rubbish and it never seemed to affect my weight or fittness. But to help train properly you need a good balanced diet, no good starving yourself, but you'll need to cut down on fats/sugar/salt. They say fat per day of 90 gram male and 70 gram and salt 7 & 5 respectively, not sure about sugar.

I'm so lazy compared to some of you guys on here! You all train so hard, don't know how you manage to sustain that level of training. I tend to train how I enjoy to train, which is somewhat less than intense.

One thing I'm missing out on is having a one on one partner to train with, i think that would be of great benefit!

Although I do weights most mornings, I'm no powerlifter but I can feel the benifits of doing what I do :)

Remember big e, stop eating junk constantly, we're watching ;)

7. Mike Flanagan

I understand exactly what you mean. It can be difficult to find willing victims. Especially when the pain starts to crank up. It's funny though isn't it. On the one hand he doesn't see the point (no pun intended) so presumably he doesn't think they're effective, but on the hand he doesn't want to let you play because he thinks you might hurt him. You just can't win sometimes.

Say no more, say no more, nods as good as a wink to a blind man! Or as the Okinawans say...okuden.

Mike

8. Mike Flanagan

That's a large part of the reason I started teaching. Not because of some misconception about being a great martial artist or great teacher, but so I would have some willing victims for my own training.

Mike

9. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

LOL! Yes, that's true. He doesn't understand what all the hype about it is but doesn't want to play around with it "just in case there is something to it".

We have a very good training partner relationship as well as
    friendship so I'm not pressing the point. LOL! (pun intended)