Did today's religions come from one source?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ronki23, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Just wondered, people always say "Oh this religion is copying that or took away from another one", could it be all religions came from one source religion?

Judaism: Christianity (Old Testament) and Islam (Jesus)-all believe in Abraham,Moses,etc.

Jainism: Hinduism: Sikhism (Sikhs have same festivals e.g. Diwali) and Zoroastrianism (Indra), Buddhism: Chinese religions with the various Buddhas and even Gods and Goddesses (perhaps the Chinese rulers changed it a bit to actually include Gods): Taoism

Hindus and Christianity have Jesus in them; some say post-teen Jesus went to Kashmir and learned from the Brahmins. He is also called Isa in it; funny how other religions' mythical figures have no names adapted for other languages

Allah (even though he hasn't had has name adapted in Hinduism) seems very similar to Shiva: both are angry (Shiva is pleased easily but gets very angry-heck, he cut off his own son's head) but 'vindictive' too (Al Qaeda anyone? Even Mohammed did questionable things) and both have a moon as a symbol. I'd even go as far as saying Kaaba was a Shiv Ling-yes it hasn't been confirmed BUT Mohammed told the pagans to convert and he destroyed 360 idols (what other religions do you think have that?)

I've also wondered why most of the visits from the incarnations of God come from where the religion originated.

Perhaps there was one religion and, like a game of Chinese whispers, it changed by whoever saw fit?

How many religions have this?:

Are there any more than i've stated?

An uber God e.g. Brahman,Zeus,Odin,Yahweh,Allah
    A human-esque son e.g. Horus,Heracles,Hercules,Krishna
    A return/end of days e.g. Ragnorak,Kali Yug,return of the Messiah,return of Krishna
    An evil e.g. Loki,Angra Mainyu,Satan

It's really not impossible to worship all religions then! I originally believed in Christ as a Hindu but in actuality i'm agnostic.

I'm actually in the middle of reading a book called 'The Story of God' and it's quite interesting.

Oh yeah, have you noticed two cool things?:

In Lord of the Rings
    : Frodo and Aragorn are like Jesus (the bearer of Burdens and the second coming), the Fellowship are the disciples, Gandalf based on Odin and Mentor (in Homer),Boromir as Judas, Sauron the Devil and Saruman falling from grace for power, Gollum consumed by lust.

In Star Wars
    : Anakin falls from grace like Eve does as she was tempted by the Devil (Sidious), Padmé is from Naboo (Mother Earth) and her children are like Apollo and Artemis, Luke's Mentor (in Homer) Obi Wan shares similarities to Gandalf (who shares similarities to Odin),Qui Gon based off Chi Gong, Anakin and Obi Wan's duel on Mustafar=what's happening to Anakin inside, Vader chopping of Luke's hand and vice versa=the mark of Kain.

China's Sun Wukong is based off of Hanuman and who do they provide an idea for? SON Goku!

2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Be careful what you look for in the bible, coz you'll find it.
    I remember being told the story of er... was it Osiris? One of the Egyptian gods anyway.. also mirrors the Jesus story. I think we just love that formula for a story. We've all seen The Matrix, it's just a cool story, and we're not the only generation to appreciate it :p

3. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Islam teaches that Allah (SWT) send prophets to all people and that the message of those prophets became corrupted by man over time. This is why there are some similarities in other religions as they all came from one source before they became corrupted. Muhammed (PBUH) being the final messenger of Allah (SWT) has the perfect message, which is recorded in the Qu'ran.

4. EmptyHandGuy

Oh, and the Lord of the Rings is a modern parable of the Gospel of Jesus (PBUH) in the same vain as the Narnia books. Though the LoTR's is aimed at adults and the Naria stories at kids, they were both written by devout Christians.

5. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

A lot of religions come from similar sources. At the same time, convergent evolution isn't so farfetched for those with no relation, because there are only so many stories that one can make up to explain things, make people do things, etc.

Flood stories anyone? So many religions have one. If not a flood, some other apocalypse.

Also, for reference, no Jew calls their god yahweh. Just god. Technically God.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I personally believe yes, they are too similar in their roots to me.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Human being create their God for the same reason. They need something to worship for their "slavery nature".

8. A little bit like the karate katas... they all have similar characters, but over time we forgot the true story; every "style" is making things up and claiming they are the only original! :D

Osu!

9. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

No offence but talking like that give me a bit of a bias toward Muslims-always trying to say how superior their religion is. Not to mention the whole "we'll kill you if you draw Allah or our Prophet" even in US ally states.

Plus I assume the Arabic must have several meanings and the translations only selecting some of them as no sane person would follow what Muhammed did 100%- illiterate people being taught to strap bombs onto themselves or their kids for 72 virgins in Jannah and how Jews (Israel-Palestine),Hindus (India-Pakistan),Zoroastrians (Iran) and Christians (Nigeria,Sudan and Egypt) should be fought and killed (if need be) for taking 'Muslim' land

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I suggest we this thread back on track if it begins to descend into petty bickering (gee...whoda thunk!?) then it goes bye bye. This is the only warning.

11. slipthejab

you can't be serious

Your post is trying to infer that all religions come from Islam which is flat out wrong. Islam is a relative newcomer in terms of world religions. A great many religions, religious figures and religious theory and culture predate both Muhammed and Islam... so to say that the root of all religions started with Allah is severely misinformed and rather disingenuous.

The similarities in religion are down to human nature and the need for a belief system by humans. There are only so many variations on the mythical father figure/benevolent tyrant... Islam is one of them and a rather recent development at that.

12. I don't think that GB-UK post meant that; I think it meant that after "God" saw that all his previous messages to man had gotten corrupted, he sent Muhammad with the final script. :)

Osu!

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

They all come from man.

14. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

He actually said all religions came from Allah-not Islam

Considering Allah=Yahweh=God he was implying all religions were monotheistic to begin with.

As I said, I did not like the 'superiority' tone in what he said (whether he meant it or not it does not matter). I have nothing against Muslims or Islam-just when they blame the West (e.g. how Israel is evil and how 9/11 has underlying 'truths' ) and relate everything to religion e.g. how Mohammed is so great/how the history is fascinating.

I was actually implying religions have evolved (or mutated) from a common one.

I'm certainly not an atheist (they do think they're better than everyone) but I am agnostic and use Hinduism as more a representation of God.

So more like a non-practising Hindu who believes in Jesus.

15. slipthejab

Yes perhaps. Though I'd have to say it's both entirely absurd and self serving to come on the scene and say:

'D'oh... all those messages before got corrupted by man. We be the real deal and the new and improved FINAL version'.... :p

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  16. slipthejab

I think if you expect this thread to go more than a page or two you might want to consider sticking to one relatively central theme and leave all the Israel/9-11 stuff off. It's the surest way to derail a thread. Your original post is all over the shop to begin with so the thread is already prone to implode. Food for thought.

17. True, but TBPH, they all say that! :)

Osu!

18. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

I suppose it all started with the Sun, the sun of god :)

As soon as humans realised that the sun gives/sustains life, which would be quite obvious very early on, they had a system to guide them and live by.
    They learnt agriculture, stopped relying on hunting and gathering for their entire diet and settled in areas where it was fertile for their needs.

Then came the need for more organisation, on a belief system to sustain and reinforce that. Something more binding for their particular requirements i suppose. And yes, that wasnt entirely a good thing for everyone! So little changes crept in to the accepted systems they had already become acustom to or something like that i would imagine.

If there is a common theme, it is in nature IMO :cool:

19. EmptyHandGuy

Arabic is a very precise language which is why someone today can read arabic from 1400 years ago, unlike English which has changed considerable over the last 500 years never mind 1400! The average person today for example would find the English of Chaucer very hard to understand.
    Desperate people do desperate things, not that I am saying that terrorism is justified but we need to look at why people think they have no other choice but to strap a bomb to themselves in the first place. But that would be for a different thread to discuss so that this one doesn't go :topic:

20. EmptyHandGuy

You do realise that Muhammed (PBUH) was the last prophet of Islam and not the first which was Adam (PBUH). That Islam means simply submission to God.

EDIT Old _kyokushin said it much better than what I had wrote:

Originally Posted by Old_kyokushin
    I don't think that GB-UK post meant that; I think it meant that after "God" saw that all his previous messages to man had gotten corrupted, he sent Muhammad with the final script.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012