Did Bruce Lee ever lose a fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Darkstorm, Dec 7, 2004.

1. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

oh my god, someone shut up the children! :bang:

bcbernam, who do you know? please tell us... or don't, but this argueing is pointless...

gedhab, let it go...

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

You're not a Moderator on this forum so don't do their job. :rolleyes:

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes, it could be that...equally it could be "nyah, nyah" style baiting, hence the apparent hostility. Also it makes threads far too long and disrupts narrative. Or , if you wish me to be colloquial, "put up or shut up"

More politely, who do you know and how do you know them? Can they offer any insight on this debate (albeit meaningless and somewhat trivial)?

And I will take the words of Dan Inosanto, Chuck Norris et al over any amount of rumour and conjecture... they say Bruce was a good fighter. If he lost, so what? Name me one fighter that hasn't (except "Our Lord Rickson"). I find Bruce and his art motivating and inspirational, so frankly I could care less about anything else. If you don't, well that's good too.

4. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

well hannibal it was the former rather than the later.

And as for who i know, I know a sifu who studied under yip man, he knew bruce.

5. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Umm...wow, what clear and totally believable references...:rolleyes:.

Not very impressive to throw around 'I knew a guy who knew a guy...' statements as they just help to lose you credibility. Feel free to take it all back rather than get in deeper...

6. bcbernam777

I love your clear and logical arguments, and the way people like you just feel the need to use the language of an 8 year old to make your point (however misguided you may be).

When you want respond to me in a mature and adult manner I will be happy to answer any enquiry you may have and expand upon the information I have presented to the thread.

If you looked clearly you will see that I am waiting for people to ask me specific questions about what I know in regards to this issue.

And as for beleivable references, you can believe it or not that is your choice, your belief my friend has no outcome on the reality of truth.

7. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

bcbernam777, what have you heard from this sifu?

8. bcbernam777

My sifu has told me that Bruce's Wing Chun was very good, all the things that people say about Bruce picking up even complex moves quickly is true, he had ver good kinesthetic awareness.

Secondly Bruce never completed the Wing Chun system under Yip Man, he learnt the Sui Lum Tao, Chum Kiu and Bui Jee under Wong Shun Leung, he had only learnt one third of the Mook Yong Jong (wooden dummy) when he went to America.

Thirdly when Bruce came back to America he went to Yip Man and spoke to him about Yip Man teaching him the full Wooden Dummy form (even though it wasn't originally a form Yip Man simply taught people on the WD to the level of proficiency they where at). He told Yip Man that if he taught him the WD that he (Bruce) would buy Yip Man an apartment, Yip man patted Bruce on the head and said "you are still a child go back to America" It was in that same year that Bruce changed the name of what he taught to Jeet Kune Do.

Fourthly Bruce did participate in the street fight/challenge matches that they had in HK at the time and yes he won some and he lost some

The reason that I have included this amount of information is so that people can know that this is just about everything I know, there are some other things but my sifu requested that I keep them to myself in which thing I will honour his requests.

The purpose of this is not to put Bruce down on the contrary Bruce was an amazing MA, what Bruce did for MA is without parallell in modern history, and as I have pointed out my Sifu commented that for the short time that he had done WC he was very good, My sifu also said that Bruce was a very hard trainer

9. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Most of the things you stated are already quite common knowledge apart form the bit about asking Yip Man to teach him the wooden dummy form, which i'm sure if he'd wanted to learn could've learnt from any othe WC practitioner or Sifu.

Freeform and YODA already mentioned in another thread today that Bruce Lee did not learn Biu Gee (the third hand form)...i'm a little confused now!

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Well - my info comes from 3 seperate direct students of Bruce Lee. Maybe what they meant was that he didn't learn the 3rd form from Yip Man?

The rest of the info is common knowledge - certainly in JKD circles.

11. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

I also don't exactly understand the part about Yip Man calling Bruce Lee "a little child"...why would he be so rude?

thanks for the input YODA...Bruce certainly would've sought to learn from any source possible so if he wanted to learn Biu Gee or any other techniques etc, i'm sure he would've learnt somehow.

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'm sure he would - IF he was still at the stage where he valued such things.

13. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

True, undoubtebly he reached a point where he was beyond the restraints of style and so that would not have mattered to him. :)

14. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

Wow - what a fun thread...

I could easily beat Bruce Lee in a fight - of course the fact that he is dead and I'm still alive gives me a bit of an edge...

Did he loose a fight - who cares!

Could he fight - who cares!

Did he inspire tens of thousands of people to improve their lives by training in the martial arts - and at the very least get a bit fitter - YES!!!!!!

Did he make some (in their day) KICK ASS movies - YES!!!!!

The test of an instructor is not what he can do but what his students can do - and based on that Bruce did OK - For example, anyone want to 'slag off' Dan Inosanto - I think not :)

There is only ever one question to ask - "What can I learn from this?" - I have learnt that people seem to prefer rumour over facts - people seem to enjoy pulling others down rather than building themselves up - and that it's a funny old world.

All the best.

Robert.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2005