Did Bruce Lee ever lose a fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Darkstorm, Dec 7, 2004.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Attached Files:

2. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

bruce lee has never 'officially' been beaten. But I read in one of chuck norrises books that chuck SOMETIMES had the upperhand against bruce lee in thier practice sparring matches, but bruce would have the upperhand as well at times.

Moral? WE DONT KNOW FOR SURE!

3. Darkstorm

Darkstorm Valued Member

For a minute there, I thought the discussion was going to degenerate into a name-calling and unconstructive verbal duel....fortunately it didn't happen....

Anyway I think many interesting points have been brought up, which is great in my view :)

Another reason why I posted the thread topic can be explained as follows:
    - When I first heard the rumour from my friend (who has no interest in martial arts whatsoever) about maybe 5 years or more back, I was just beginning to get in touch with martial arts again. I had very little knowledge of Aikido and Tai Chi at that time and had never heard of the "internal martial arts"......

I then went to do some research and found that Aikido and Tai Chi have in common an internal focus, a "soft" approach to "hard" attacks.......From what I knew then, Bruce Lee is a tough fighter, but he is not known to have cultivated his intrinsic or internal strength......From my reading of one of his books, he did have knowledge of how Aikido and Tai Chi works, and I presume he knows what Chi is all about.

I suppose since then, I've been curious as to whether the "soft" arts could actually be effective in a fight against brute strength and "hard" attacks.
    From where I come from, many people have the view that Tai Chi is just a health excercise and is ineffective in a fight. I live in Singapore and that I believe that is still the majority perception here.

My readings have mentioned many amazing stories about high-level exploits and feats of the "internal" school of martial artists, of people like Zhang San Feng, Yang Lu Chan, Moreihei, and other lesser known figures.

Then there is also the article of Mas Oyama having written in his biography that he only lost to an old and seemingly frail-looking Tai Chi master in his entire life.

In short, I have read such amazing feats of the "internal" martial artists, but have yet to actually see it or experience it for myself. It seems to me that such high-level skill (if it does exist at all) is rare indeed.

If Tai Chi (just mentioning it here as an example), is such a high-level skill, it is a pity that few know how to use it effectively in a fight. From what I've read, even those supposed experts of Tai Chi do not use Tai Chi to win their fights when they are hard-pressed for a victory.

Just sharing my thoughts here.

P.S: The picture of the troll as posted by Yoda is cute :)

4. Eero

Eero Valued Member

We seem to be talking about different thing. I was referring to a person who has not trained even that long.

5. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

the way jkd has gone since bruce lee past is down to dan inosanto mainy,
    first of all he is one of the best and most rounded instructors in modern times.he has let his students follow their own paths, but always there to give advice when asked,so there jkd improved,this is what bruce lee wanted,he hated the thought of jkd being the same way and taught the same,he wanted everyone to be diffferent,so in essance what im saying is bruce lee laid the groundwork and guro dan inosanto carried it forward and still does today

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey KenpoDavid,

I was thinking about this some more last night. You know, you have every right to your opinion. I don't know why I'm arguing with you over it.

Yeah, I do. I'm letting off steam. And that's not really a very good reason to argue. So I'm stopping now. No hard feelings I hope.

Stuart

7. tel

tel,

bruce had many roof top challenges and lost first few,but apart from the a few fights in his early years.eg karate guy in squash court and the challenge fight,(this started his work on jkd most were play fights testing each others level like an introdution,he never had a fight with the aikido master,cos well he was in japan and he never entered a comp,in fact he had a bodygaurd after second film cos of everyone wanting to fight him.(bodygaued was a friend of his,but can't remember the name of the guy

8. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

I know a Tae Kwon Do master Jong Park challenged Bruce Lee to a fight but Bruce Lee backed down. Maybe Jong Park would have won.

Who knows. :confused:

9. Darkstorm

Darkstorm Valued Member

May I ask where u got this information and how? By word of mouth? Or an article in a magazine or book, for instance?

10. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

I went to Jong Park institute of Tae Kwon Do, and one of the instructors told us. Jong Park is an exeptional martial artist but maybe it was just BS. I really don't know the truth. It still could have been the truth though.

11. Darkstorm

Darkstorm Valued Member

Thanks for the reply......pardon my ignorance, but is Jong Park Institute in S. Korea?

12. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

No problem, I was just having fun anyway, and ended up taking a small idea of a joke about 1 post longer than it should have ROFL or 2 now hee hee

13. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

Lol! He's from South Korea but moved to Canada a while ago. The school is close to Toronto but he probably does have schools in South Korea.

Jackie Li

14. tel

tel

there are alot of people claming they challenged bruce lee but very few did, most do it for promotion sake

15. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

Yeah I believe it. They're real tough talkers now that he's not here to defend himself.

16. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Ignore the rumours...thats all they are.

17. Wax

Wax Valued Member

I read a story the other day from a Wing Chun master who studied under Yip Man with Bruce Lee. He talked of the fights that they used to get into while young, the point of the story was where Bruce lost a fight and became demotivated and how Yip Man encouraged him to continue his training. Sorry i can't remember the site or the person.

18. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

hmmmmmmmm. i dont think Bruce lee should be ridiculed. he was a great man and a great philosapher and martial artist. I thought he was the Hong Kong kickboxing champion? Anyway i know in an interview he said that after WC class he and his classmates would practice fighting with eachother and see who was better and then go out for tea afterwards.I also thought he challenged Karate Practioners and the people who stepped up lost. Also even if he didnt have alot of Martial Arts experience ( which i think is untrue) he Still developed JKD and after all alot of martial Arts (that werent darived from others) had to be made up by someone sometime. Lastly bruce Lee deserves respect and anyone who doesn;t believe that needs to take a good look at themselfs.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  19. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I also imagine he had challenges coming out of his ying-yang (pardon the pun). Imagine if he accepted every silly challenge he got. Not saying nobody would have beaten him, just saying it is silly to think there are challenges he did not take for common sense reasons, nothing to do with fear.

20. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

courage and stupidity are close cousins after all