Did Bruce Lee ever lose a fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Darkstorm, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Darkstorm

Darkstorm Valued Member

Hi everyone.......

Once a friend of mine told me that Bruce Lee only lost to an Aikido master and a Tai Ji master. He told me that he heard it from someone else (his colleague I think). If I remember correctly, at that time, for some reason, I felt that the Aikido master was Morihei, the founder of the Aikido system.

Just for the record, I wouldn't consider myself a Bruce Lee fan, but in my readings about him, I've never come across any written information about what I've heard. Neither have I been able to confirm this with my chats with my other acquaintances and friends. Was what I heard merely a rumour that is untrue? Can anyone confirm?

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

this sort of question really is a bit pointless as everyone looses a fight at some point and there is always someone who is capable of beating us at some point.

Bruce Lee's fights have not all been recorded so nobody can answer this question and hte fights that have been recorded by on-lookers vary depending on their point fo view so its really not a question that you cna get a reliable answer for.

:)

3. Darkstorm

Darkstorm Valued Member

Haha.....okay......was just trying to check if anyone else has heard this rumour as I have not been able to find anything about what I heard in writing......

4. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

You can research the Bruce Lee vs Wong Jack Man fight on this website ising the search function or just google it and see what you find.

There is also the supposed encounter with Bruce Lee and one of Gin Foon Mark's students in NYC who is a practitioner of Jook Lum Southern Mantis. Many other encounters are said to have happened like the one with an extra on the set of "Enter The Dragon" etc.

:)

5. tommy

tommy New Member

As far as I know, Bruce Lee never fought in a competition...

no o ne really knows how good a fighter he was. You can not judge by watching the cheesy phony movies

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I read a decent amount of bio stuff about Bruce Lee when I was younger, including books by Dan Inosanto (his best friend) and Linda Lee Cadwell (his wife). And I've never heard mention of Lee even sparring with anyone from aikido or taiji. (He learned a bit of taiji from his dad. That was arguably his first martial arts experience. But sparring? And losing? Haven't heard that.)

Stuart

7. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

what is so phony about "these movies"...Bruce Lee WAS a martial artist and did have exceptional skills.

8. Darkstorm

Darkstorm Valued Member

Thanks for the information :)

9. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

no problem bro! :)

10. Darkstorm

Darkstorm Valued Member

Which was why I posted the question.....I was beginning to wonder if I am the only one I know who has heard of this rumour (apart from my friend)....either the rumour is untrue or maybe it is an obscure one.....or maybe it was hushed up......

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nope. I think it's probably that the rumour is a complete load of rubbish. :)

12. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

damn right, and it doesnt matter whether he fought a taiji practioner, a boxer, a thai boxer, a karate man etc etc a fight and a fighter is a fighter regardless fo style. I'm more interested in the outcome of the fight rahter than hte style of the practitioner.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol excellent :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  14. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

his ignorance is quite excellent...i agree! ;)

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ditto that. Today was the first that I ever heard of Bruce sparring with any aikido person, least of all Morihei Ueshiba. You'd think that encounter would have made it into the biographies right after the part where Ueshiba threw and pinned judo and sumo champions. "Additionally, O'Sensei proved the worth of his new martial art by easily defeating kung fu legion Bruce Lee, the star of the silver screen well known for his lightening-fast blows."

If it happened, it would have been printed in the aikido books. So, it's not that I doubt the ability of Ueshiba, it's that I doubt the truth of the rumor.

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

On the contrary; Bruce Lee never did fight in compititions. His only recorded fights were ' conventiently ' ruined, or even unrecorded despite taking place on a being on a film set.

All evidence of his fights have been word of mouth. Possibly the play of chinese whispers? Nobody really knows.

All I have to say on the matter is he was an exceptional martial artist for his time.

17. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

...Dr Watson!! :D

Adding to the rumour pile...

Did anyone ever hear a rumour about all the film stars competing in a secret martial arts tourney with Stephen Seagal coming first, and Sammo Hung and Jackie C coming 3rd and fourth...I remember hearing this ages ago, and wanted to know if anyone else had heard the like;

I promise, Im not making fun; its obviously not true, but was wondering whether my mate was REALLY taking the michael...

18. Black Dog

Black Dog Expressionist

I've always doubted Stephen Segal's martial arts experience, but not his acting experience. You see, he never feigns once to actually act. :D

19. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

Bruce Lee was involved in many bar room brawls, back alley fights and street fights. Due to his martial arts teaching. So he always had a chance to put his style into real-time practice. Bruce never did any tournaments however, which leads to alot of people questioning if he really was the best martial arts fighter in the world.

Yours in martial arts,

Kid

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

He won an amateur boxing comp early in his career.