Diaz - 5 year ban

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Those of you following, Nick Diaz has finally been punished for having marijuana in his system whilst fighting Anderson Silva.
    He has been given a 5 year ban.
    Thats right, essentially a career ender.

What should generally be 2 year ban (as they considered 9 months not long enough as fighters take about 5 months off anyway...unless you're Donald Cerrone)..Diaz was given 5 years as it is his 3rd offence, since the new USADA testing has been brought in with Jeff Nowinski.

If that wasn't contraversial enough, 1 out 3 samples was positive and the guilty sample was tested at a different lab.
    And in comparison of the punishments that have been given out for steroid users. Apart from Wanderlei (who has had his overturned)...the likes of Overeem and Vitor were given bans prior to the new protocols.

This has obviously brought in the argument of whether Marijuana is a performance enhancing drug and what falls under "enhancement"

Diaz is obviously appealing.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/9/1...ion-lundvall-mma-hearing-suspension-marijuana

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

This one is just ridiculous. I'm no fan of the Diaz brothers but this is excessive. Of course Nick has never been one to acquit himself well in verbal communication so his performance in front of the commission did not help his case. Five years for weed is just crazy though.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

While it is harsh, it's his third offence, and at the end of the day he's a professional. I don't smoke weed because of my job, that's just how it goes.

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

That does seem a tad excessive, then again it was his third offence. I'm curious why is marijuana seen as a bad thing for a MMA fighter? Is it only because it is illegal, or does it give some sort of advantage in a fight?

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

You realize he was blazed out of his skull when he gogoed Gomi right? I'm pretty sure he was able to find a balance.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm not talking about performance, I'm talking about the conduct demanded by my profession.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Fair enough, but he is a pro fighter, they aren't generally the modicum of decency, not to say fighters cannot be decent, just that within their ranks they have been represented by some pretty shady characters.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He is a pro-athlete. Part of that is being aware of what is going into your body. 5 years is a big ban, but only because the current rules are too lenient. If you are caught cheating, that should be it. No second chances.

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

To your point, I think the Diaz brothers have always been given a degree of latitude that not all other fighters have. They have acted less than professional on numerous occasions and have had very little sanction from the UFC. Most likely because they're a draw and people have expected them to act like thugs. The UFC has been apparently OK with this. Third time as it may be, we are not talking about a true performance enhancer.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I'm just saying, performance enhancer or recreational substance, the dude could still fight pretty well even with some of the levels he is supposed to have been tested at.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I'm pretty sure that is mostly due to Nick establishing his reputation in elite xc and strikeforce, and the ufc inheriting his fan base, they know people watch Nick Diaz because he acts like Nick Diaz, they aren't going to upset paying customers, are they?

Putting my tin foil hat on, the question is posable that the ufc prefers Diaz banned while they start this big new push into the mainstream, he does kind of go against the Rousey/Mcgregor bandwagon a bit.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think it's insurance companies driving this. we're having cases in illinois where medical marijuana patients can actually still be fired, because employers are held liable, even though the drug is ostensibly legal to those who need it because of a medical condition.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My thoughts, too.

I keep going back and forth like a ping-pong ball. I like him as a fighter (he's exciting, he's good), but -- he's a professional fighter. He knows what the jobs requires. I love champagne, but I don't drink it just before coming to work, you know?

But then going the other way -- it was marijuana? Is that an enhancement drug? Really? I don't think so.

But then, was it legal for him? And even if it was, how could a professional athlete have a medical prescription card for marijuana? That doesn't sound right.

But then, even still, five years? Are you kidding?

But then, it's his third offense. And we all know what an arrogant mouth he can have, so I wouldn't be surprised if he presented himself poorly at the hearing.

:bang:

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

My issue with this is the one pointed out earlier which is how much harsher this is than the people getting caught using roids.

I don't care that is weed and its not really a PED. I mean, I would prefer to see it not in the list but everyone knows it is and it comes with the job to go by the rules. And it is hardly Diaz's first disciplinary issue.

But considering how pathetic the punishments are for fighters who do something that could actually be regarded as cheating this does seem harsh. Not that I care since he seemed to be done anyway, but it is what it is.

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Actually, reports are he did quite well at the hearing. He hired some credible lawyers and experts. And he invoked the 5th. Which, apparently, ticked off the people presiding over the hearing and helped make his sentence harsher. But it was his right to do so and it was a smart call knowing how he is. Not like that farce that Anderson Silva presented as a defense.

Getting punished harsher for not speaking at his defense is going to be part of his appeal, as well it should be.

I can't stand the Diaz brothers. And his rant in an interview after the hearing illustrates why. He claimed the commission were out to stop him from proving he was the best fighter in world. Delusional IMO- he is nowhere near the best fighter in the world. He is making excuses- blaming others- for his poor choice to put a banned substance in his body as a pro athlete- after being busted and punished for doing the same thing 2 times before.

Now I HATE to sound like I am in any way supporting a Diaz brother.

That said, 5 years is ridiculous. The new policy on banned substances went into effect AFTER this incident and shouldn't apply to him. Apparently, 2 of three tests same out clean, so the results are not as clear as one would assume- knowing his history.

And sorry, when steroid abusers who have been busted multiple times have gotten lighter sentences, something is really wrong.

I hope he fights it in court and gets the sentence reduced.

But I will enjoy him not being around during his ban.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Astoundingly, Diaz has a medical marijuana card for severe ADHD.

Now, I do not doubt Diaz has ADHD for one moment - I see many of the signs - what I found astounding, as someone who has severe ADHD running in their family, is the fact that marijuana would be the remedy of choice for this disorder(s) :jawdrop:

I could think of few other substances that would seem to be more contraindicated for attention deficit disorder than marijuana. It would be analogous to giving a patient who has cirrhosis of the liver a prescription for a litre of Everclear to treat their condition.

Follow?

However, I know that people's reactions to various compounds and substances can be wildly different (penicillin has saved my life, its also nearly killed one of my children)

Could it be that Nick Diaz' unique biochemistry causes him to metabolise marijuana in the same manner that most humanoids metabolise stimulant drugs?

I'm somewhat incredulous to this but the fact that he has a medical marijuana card ( have to admit that I don't really know how that works - is it a clearance for prescription?) instead of a clearance for prescribed amphetamines, as would usually be the case for ADHD, would suggest that this could be a possibility.

Diaz would be a fascinating study under laboratory conditions.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Off the record, a lot of people with personality disorders smoke/eat marijuana to assist with their issues.
    I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the availability is in the UK. ( I'll ask my mates who work in the medical field what the score is over here)

The main issue with Diaz's case is that the 2 WADA tests came out clear, whilst the 1 test from Nevada came back as positive. Apparently it was also just a urine test and not a blood test, which they (the Commission and researchers) state that it doesn't give an accurate account as people pass minerals/metabolites etc at different rates.

Jeff Nowinksi himself also stated that the THC levels to be banned during "In Competition" Period (24hrs before through to 24hrs after) has to be so high up, you have to be (ahem) high WHILST fighting.

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I have to say, I have no sympathy for him. On the one hand, it is a ridiculously heavy handed punishment for the offence, especially when you think about how other people who have been caught testing positive for drugs have been treated. Also, given that two of his three tests came back clean...I've got to say, the sentence feels more like a political statement than one about the rules specifically.

On the other hand, if I remember rightly...this is not his first offence. As a professional, he should know better.

I have no love for the Diaz brothers in the slightest. But five year feels ridiculous.

19. belltoller

I suppose I could see it if one were hyper aggressive ... but to sharpen one up, increase focus, stanima? Those are the effects of stimulants.

The last thing someone who's stoned wants to do is fight. I just don't get that part.

Personally, I think it makes one stupid and slow but thats just IMHO.

As far as availability as a medical compound goes ... I'm fairly certain its not on the US Scheduled Drugs list nor the Controlled Drugs List maintained by the Home Office - I was quite surprised to see some of the ones that were on the list!

The jist of that meaning the government(s) officially deem marijuana as having no legitimate medical value, IIRC.

20. belltoller

That's exactly what it is. No question about it.