Dialects.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by boards, Nov 17, 2011.

1. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I'm currently studying Italian and having an Italian background (on dads side) my relatives speak a dialect that is quite different to standard Italian. I found it interesting that even though they learn standard Italian and the dialect is not formally taught at all they still speak dialect at home.

It got me wondering whether any countries still teach the local dialects at school rather than/along side the standard national language? Given that India has lots of semi official languages it could be one, but I would be curious to see if anyone on here learnt a dialect of the main language at school.

I guess this applies to english as well. Scots english is IIRC is either a dialect or seperate language so do you learn it at school or is it all taught at home? Are newspapers written in the dialect form or in the national form.

And lastly do you think that dialects should be taught at school so that they do not dissapear, in the same way that the UK teaches Welsh (I think).

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Diallects are learned by talking to other people with the dialect, rather than taught at a school. In France, for example, there is an official version of the language which is taught, but which is usually spoken in varying dialects.

I'd be very surprised if anywhere at all does this. There's no need since dialects emerge from local populations adapting the language to their own needs and tastes.

Probably doesn't count, but I was actually taught southern Parisian French rather than the official version - mainly because my teacher was from South Paris.

Scottish is very much a dialect, Gaelic would be the language. It's not taught as such but of course most teachers in Scotland will use the dialect themselves so it will be learned that way. There is no 'official' version of English (despite what those of us who speak Queen's English would like to think) so localisations will simply be a consequence of learning from an inhabitant of a particular area.

I remember many, many debates at school over whether it's bath to rhyme with grass or math, scone to rhyme with gone or own, and so forth.

National form, almost exclusively. Dialects are spoken rather than written - with some exceptions.

No. Dialects emerge from local adaptation of the language, and disappear as those adaptations fade due to mixing with other populations. They're constantly popping up and vanishing and there's nothing wrong with this - there's also no real need to try and preserve them that I can think of, any more than the French trying to preserve 'official' French is a good idea.

Welsh on the other hand is a language in it's own right, and quite an interesting one. It can't really be compared to teaching a dialect.

3. ROFL!

There is a difference between regional slang, regional accents & dialects...
    France has dialects that incidentally are taught in some schools (they are optional and can count as a foreign language in some circumstances).

Most French dialects (dialects found in France) could not be understood by an outsider of the area the dialect is spoken.

There is no Parisian dialect. So your teacher taught you some Parisian slang... big deal!

Sometimes your culture is spreading very, very thin my lilbunnyrabbit :evil:

Osu!

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

But bath rhymes with both grass and math :thinking:

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Yep, dialects are generally a blend of regional accents and slang.

Check the definition incidentally. A dialect can be down to pronounciation, vocabulary or grammar - but does not need to consist of all three. Regional slang is a regional dialect, regional accents are a regional dialect, a combination of the two is a regional dialect.

That's a bit of a stretch. They can be understood as well as cockney can be understood by a non-speaker (vaguely, and enough to communicate, but with some obfuscation).

I recommend that you go to the south of Paris, and try and communicate with them in official French in that case. Go on, I'll wait. You'll probably want to take some aspirin with you.

Fortunately I have plenty of culture to go around, I'll just have to make sure it's spread slightly thicker for your taste.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

In a way in Canada you have that. You get the Inuit language taught up north in schools, you get Quebecois french taught throughout all of Canada (it's different to France french). So in at least the first sense, for sure as, the latter case you can decide if that's truly dialect on your own.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Northerner. :mad:

8. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Is your family Sicilian? I know the Sicilian dialect is different from standard Italian.

9. Nope, most can't!

PMSL...
    Thank you for your recommendation, and trying to educate me about France in general and the southern part of Paris, but I don't need to!
    .......... that is unless I want a foreigner's view on what is going on in France :D:D:D

ROFL ---- don't bother, regarding France, you are not a source of any value information for me.

Osu!

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

It's more that your definition of a dialect is wrong, plain and simple, but there ya go. Obviously easier to ignore that point and just go for an all out attack instead of conceding your mistake.

Most dialects are a very small variance from the common version of the language, some are a greater variance. The ones at a greater variance are harder to non-speakers to understand (stunningly) but the simpler ones are not. I can go slower if that'd make it easier for you?

11. Argh... how thick can you be!? :rolleyes:
    You are trying to explain French dialects to a freakin French... and arguing with him! How would you call that! :cool:

OOPS! :evil:

There is no Southern Paris dialect, period.
    You've been sold a sea view in Phoenix (az)

Osu!

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Nope - I'm trying to explain the definition of the word 'dialect' to someone who evidently doesn't understand it. Do you deny that there is an accent to those in certain areas of Paris? If there is, that qualifies as a dialect. I have been told that when I speak French, I used to sound like I was from the South of Paris, whereas now I sound much more as though I am from Geneva.

Oops. Sorry, were you missing the point again?

Can you make a rough stab at where someone comes from in Paris from the way they speak? If so, that's a dialect.

13. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

accent = inflection
    dialect = grammar differences

cantonese vs mandarin = dialect
    hong kong cantonese vs other cantonese = accent

14. boards

15. boards

So is there a standard Inuit language taught in the north or is it based on the regional dialect? Can you choose to learn Inuit in the southern schools?

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Nope.

Accent = pronounciation/inflection/speech pattern
    Slang = vocabulary differences
    Dialect can be grammar differences, and/or any combination of the other two.

It'd depend on the exam. Generally it would be a problem, as the exam will usually be on a technical subject (which will generally have a dialect or jargon of it's own, which it is important to use) or on a language, in which case it would be best to use the 'official' version.

17. That's an accent!

Osu!

18. boards

No my family is from the Veneto region. When I lived in I Italy I lived in Osimo which is in the Marche region, on the east coast about 4 hrs south of Venice. We had a play showing with the performers speaking Veneto and my friends could hardly understand it. For some reason alot of the cops were from Sicily and no one could understand their dialect so they all had to speak the national form.

19. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

There are multiple dialects and no standard so far as I know. In general there's not specific name for the dialects they're all just referred to as Inuktituk and what's taught in a given area is what the speakers of the area speak.
    And no you can't learn it in southern schools. Kind of odd that I can learn all these languages in my university but none of of the native Canadian languages.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One