Dial-Up or Broadband

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by booksie_girl, Jul 10, 2004.

?

Dial-Up or Broadband?

1. Dial-up *sob*

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Broadband

28 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

The question in the title. I'm curious as to the distribution. Yes I know there are different levels of broadband, but as one of those still stuck on dial-up, they all look amazingly fast to me.

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Neither :D

I've got a 150k connection and shouldn't be called broadband.......

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Broadband - VERY broad :p

3mb Connection via cable modem.

4. booksie_girl

I knew asking was going to be a mistake! Now I'm just going to make myself sick and miserable :(

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Don't be so sad - it's only 60 times faster than dialup. Hell - it took me a full minute to download that 15mb video clip this morning :eek:

6. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

Yoda thats just cruel.

Cheer up Booksie we love you at any speed.

David

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Damn you and your 3mb connection YODA. we cant get that round here :(.

im on 512k broadband :)

8. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

1mb broadband.. it's spiffy :D
    just got it so i'm in love !!

9. Mike71

Mike71 Valued Member

Recently switched to DSL (1.5 down 768 up) from cable (1.5 bi-directional at that time) because our cable provider was very unreliable and the DSL package would allow us to do hosting and provide static ip's.

Unfortunately the DSL provider has proven to be only slightly more reliable than the cable, NEVER actually runs at 1.5 down or even close, and the cable provider has since upgraded things to 3 down and (according to friends still with them) has fixed their reliability problems.

I'm going to give DSL a little more time to solve their issues because I like to be able to host from home and I can't afford the cable packages that allow it, but if I'm still running like 600k down in another month of two it's outa hear and I'm going back to cable!

--Mike

10. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Couldn't go back to dial up...when you go up a level it doesn't seem that much faster at first...until you go back to it (on someone elses PC i might add) God then dial up seems like travelling to Tibet on snail back!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  11. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

1 MB bi-directional. VDSL :D

Technically the system can push around 40-50 MB (the rest of the bandwidth is used for cable tv) My phone, cable service and Internet connection run off the same phone line. On the down side you have to live under 2000 ft from the CO. Plus all the special equipment for the fiber-to-the-curb technology. Parts of Phoenix, Denver, and Omaha are the only places it's been deployed so far. I used to install this service during the early phases of development and testing and I quickly learned to love it. :love:

Many companies have used Phoenix as a test bed for broadband, so we have an absoutly obscene number of choices compared to other areas.

12. booksie_girl

3 dial-up to 15 broadband :( I am in the poor and disadvantaged minority :( I especially hate the Yoda. At present, broadband isn't even available where I live, at any speed. Oh well, m aybe in a few years time....

13. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Don't worry Booksie i feel your pain i'm 1 of the 3 too.

However the good news is that my company may well pay my broadband upgrade which is happening regardless but now i may get 2MB instead of 1MB :)

14. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

have been using broadband (ADSL 256/64) for 11 months now and i have decided to go back to dial-up when my contract ends (next month), ehehe i'm crazy :D

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

What's that all about then? :confused:

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I agree. Beats me how they get away with that one!

17. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Dial-up via BT Home Highway - good enough for me, but obviously I'm not into downloading much.

I work from a base in a library where we have an EVH (Electronic Village Hall). 8 public access PC's that have been converted to broadband and work well, but loads of restrictions on use [no game playing... :cry: ]

18. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

I only have the 1.5mb line, but that does me fine for the moment.

19. Timmy!

Timmy! A Hypno-Toad In Disguise

512kb broadband at home and 4Mb here at uni. Nice :D

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I hate dial up, actually I hate my broadband connection, SINCE IT NEVER WORKS!!!! But I have a T-2 connection at work that is sooooo fast.