Diabetics and training with insulin pumps

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Taffyleigh, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I'm sure there are plenty of diabetic Mappers out there but are any of you using an insulin pump? I've been told because of poor sugar control i might be put on a pump, which sounds ok apart from when it comes to training. Anybody come across this problem?

2. PCG82

PCG82 Valued Member

Its one of the reasons id never want one, a bit of a hassle.

I think they can be disconected and the daily needle removed when your training but dont quote me!

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

If sugar controls a problem try a low carb, diet with low GI carbohydrates at about 30g or so a meal. There's a lot of good data about this kind of diet giving diabetics a more stable BG level but still keeping them well clear of hypoglycemia. This is particularly true of type 2 diabetics but there's a lot of good data for type 1 diabetics too.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  4. kez56

kez56 Valued Member

Nice post Coma....

I'm a type 2 diabetic but these days in my advancing years also need insulin to control it.

I usually follow a fairly low carb diet and make sure that any carbs I eat are very low GI. On days when I have training I'll up my carb intake a bit just to make sure I dont hypo during class (it's only happened once).

Unfortunately for some diabetics who struggle with control, a pump might be the only answer. Have a look on some other MA forums as well.

Good luck Taffy...dont stress too much though. Your MA training will go a long way to helping you control your sugar levels

Osu!:hat:

5. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Thanks guys, i have been trying to get control of my sugar levels since i was a kid, but sadly nothing seems to work, doctors are as baffled as i am, so they think pump might work, got to be worth as go as i am starting to get other problems including my eyesight. I've been chatting on a diabetes site and they say you can take the pump off for about an hour at a time, don't know what will happen when i do a 3 hour session though unless i put the pump back on after an hour give myself a dose of insulin and take it back off and train for another hour and do the same again.

6. slacker

slacker Valued Member

Taffy, My girlfriend has one of these, it has improved her QOL so much since, her sugars are alot more average and she also goes swimming quite a few times a week, so she disconnects the pump & pipe for about a 1hr/1.5hrs

Speak to your diabetic consultant about it.