Diabetes and karate?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by mamakarateka, Feb 15, 2006.

1. mamakarateka

mamakarateka New Member

A neighbor's husband asked me if he could take karate. I thought he was hesitant because of his age(44). It turns out that he was not as worried about age as his diagnosis of diabetes.

Does anyone have experience to share with him? I guess feet are a real problem?

He asked if karate was bad on the feet. I had to think about that, because in 9 months, I have broken 2 toes, have callouses, and twisted my foot getting swept. Of course, I might be un coordinated!

Heather - mama to 8

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

We had a girl with diabetes who trained with us last year (she was in her early 20s so it may be different for an older man) and managed just fine. She only once had a problem when she had an attack in a grading and had forgotten to bring something sugary with her.

3. exclamationmark

exclamationmark Toaster-core

my dad is a diabetic, and has to be very careful when exercising to make sure his blood sugar doesn't go crazy. i don't see how it should stop someone doing a martial art... it's the same as taking part in any other exercise :)

the only problem i could see would be feet, just advise him to be extra careful when it comes to looking after them :)

4. mamakarateka

mamakarateka New Member

Thank you both for the info! He really wants to join up - I hope he can.
    I may be the bad advertising - I just got to take a bandage off my foot yesterday, forever catching toes in a mat!
    Happy training,
    Heather - mama to 8

5. Kacey

Kacey New Member

I had a student (16) who had juvenile-onset diabetes. He told me what to watch for the night he started, and never had any problems - I had a tube of frosting (his preferred emergency sugar), but he never needed it.

6. Chris Yates

Chris Yates Valued Member

My old instructor had diabetes, he seemed fine most of the time.

7. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

Diabetes and Karate

I still have and I still seem fine most of the time :)

Seriously though, I presume it's type 2 diabetes and will be controlled by diet and exercise or various tablets.

He has to learn what it feels like when his blood sugar drops low and be able to do something about it.

Make sure his instructor knows he is diabetic and knows what to do if his student starts to feel unwell.

It shouldn't be a problem if he controls it well. As for his feet, diabetes can cause nerve damage in the extremities over a perod of time and he should get a checkup on his feet and eyes each year. He can monitor his foot condition himself, just be aware of numbness etc and make sure if he gets cuts that he looks after them.
    I have been diabetic for over 10 years and it hasn't stopped me training and teaching.
    email me off list if you want any more specific info.

8. ember

ember Valued Member

Sugar's best for emergency cases, but ideally he'd want to sustain a steady level. If he decides to stay for long training / helping out sessions, then you, he, or both might do well to keep something with protein on hand, like crackers with peanut butter or cheese.