Developing Explosive Leg Power

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Osu,

Oh, I see where you are coming from Ben Moak thanks for showing it to me; in that sense I do agree, high reps of light weights won't add strength.

You are completely right, it must be heavy... FAST & HEAVY! :)

Osu!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

People at your gym use shake-weight?

Oh boi...hahah

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Kind of defeats the purpose of going to the gym doesn't it? :confused:

4. ben moak

ben moak Valued Member

no nobody at my gym uses those lol i was talking about workouts the original poster could do but i failed to realize that he said leg power. jump squats would work for more explosive stuff.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Eat Taco Bell right before you go to bed. The midnight sprint to the washroom will give you a nice burn and you'll be explosive in more ways than one.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[​IMG]

7. ben moak

ben moak Valued Member

i think im scarred for life.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its like looking at a lava lamp.......in terror

9. AndrewTheAndroid

Thank the Lord we aren't able to have gif avatars here.

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Sorry Ben but according to you:

Lifting slow will make you explosive?
    Shake weights will make you hit harder?

I suggest you educate yourself and actually learn what you are taking about before offering people advise.

Explosive fast movements will make you explosive like Olympic lifts, plyometric movements and sprinting.
    Lifting slow while sometimes effective for bodybuilding won't achieve much in the performance training world.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  11. AndrewTheAndroid

Can you clarify? How can lifting slowly make you explosive? I was always taught that if you want to be explosive, you have to lift a heavy weight explosively.

12. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Yeah that's what I ment. Lol.
    I was paraphrasing Benjamin. I feel some editing is in order here, don't want to look like I advocate the shake weight for any non bedroom related activities!

13. JaxMMA

I've seen people do dumber things at the gym...like use those belts with electrodes attached to their "abz" and doing curls at the same time

14. AndrewTheAndroid

A couple times I've seen people doing barbell curls while standing on one of those yoga balls or whatever they're called.

15. JaxMMA

Swiss-balls? I usually see older ladies sitting on them and doing some curls and some weird exercises with dumbbells.

16. ben moak

ben moak Valued Member

its for balance. not a bad idea but theres better ways. you could stand on the nose of a boat with an old asian man rocking it back and forth while you do some blocking techniques(karate kid ftw)

17. AndrewTheAndroid

Yeah, but those old ladies were at least sitting. Not standing on them like the idiots I saw. :eek:

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Do you mean Bosu balls?

[​IMG]

19. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

A.O.D

I am certainly no expert on this topic, for myself, I love heavy bag work. Grab a partner and time your work outs...it is kinda surprising what you can put out once the A.O.D kicks in, in those last 30 seconds. If this is even what your talking about. You can certainly measure your preformance as to how long and hard you can go,we have those little timers at the gym that do it for you....and now that I'm thinking I do not know what the timer intervals are. Maybe 3 minutes bag work, then 30 seconds explosive, then break a minute and start again.