Developing Explosive Leg Power

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

What are some key exercises you would recommend for an individual looking to develop explosive leg power for speed and height in jumping techniques?

My knees are a bit on the weak side and I want to strengthen my joints too.
    Any exercises that can be recommended?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Squats :)

3. Ashiro

Ashiro Doko wa neko desu ka

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Then once you get good at these, you can add in some plyometrics.

5. Osu,

LOL and once you get good at squats & plyo, you can add Litvi Sprints
    ...once a week for 6 weeks...

osu!

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

7. Osu Kuma,

Basically, any workout that throwers do will bolster explosiveness. (try shot put for your punches...)
    I like the Litvis because it packs a lot of rapid results in a short workout... not for the faint of heart though...

Osu!

8. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Just about puked when I read about the front squats followed by a 400m sprint. Sign me up!!

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

if you have bad joints and knees dont do anything with too much impact (ie jumps, sprints etc) unless you are really sure your body can handle it

Keep it simple, squat and deadlift heavy first, best to increase strength levels first and always try to move the bar as quickly as possible

then add in some simple jumps to teach the muscles, CNS system and alactic system to contract rapidy, box jumps are good if you have bad joints less impact, sport sprints, explosive squats jumps etc, keep the sets short, under 10 seconds or even single reps, and the rest between sets long, you are working explosiveness not endurance

Theres No need to do complex stuff like complexs etc until the simple stuff has stopped working

Try to use the least complex exercises and the simplest workouts and the least amount of effort you can whilst still making improvements, then if thats stops working (and it will) you can jolt the body with more complex stuff, if you jump in at the deepend and that stops working...where do you go from there?

10. Osu,

LOL - that's the spirit! :D

osu!

11. ben moak

ben moak Valued Member

sorry but im gonna dis agree on that. when you move the bar quickly it uses less of your own strength to lift/move the bar and more momentum. slow and steady wins the race(;

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Degpends on what you are training for, the powerlifters i work with get you to lift without momentum but tryiong to explode the bar

you need to move the bar fast as possible to teach the muscles to explode/contract as rapidly as possible, ideally each rep should be almost a seperate set, ie no momentum

13. ben moak

ben moak Valued Member

for rapid retraction, im gonna have to say it, shakeweight. i know it might seem like a joke but they do actually work

14. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

^ it's taking alot of willpower to not troll you for that post. Infact I think I'll say it anyway. Do you hold it in front of you like you're going to bite a giant hot dog? I bet it works wonders for your arms and shoulders.

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Where exactly do you attach 'Shakeweight'?:confused:

16. osu!

Yes, it is true for pure strength... but not quite for explosive strength.

There are two types of explosive strength:
    - being able to move the weight from a standstill and create the momentum; you see that in heavy 1/4 squats that you push upwards all the way to lift the heels. (caution, don't do it without two spotters to catch the weight if need be). This strength will allow you to long jump or vertical jump from a standing still position for instance.
    - Strength applied at speed - you work that with plyometrics that you repeat with the momentum (stair work, etc...), not plyo from an isometric tension. This type of explosive strength applied at speed is the one that allows you to long jump at the end of a sprint for instance.

You need both in striking martial arts.

osu!

17. ben moak

ben moak Valued Member

i was more talking about workouts like bench and bicep curls. i see alot of people in the lift room doing 3000 super fast reps and being like omg man im so ripped but theres really no results compared to someone who's doing there sets slow and steady. its because your not using as much of your own strength to lift it when your doing it really fast.

18. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

and jump squats

Also, split jump squats (I hate these).

Box jumps, too.

19. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

That's why you only lift heavy for 8-10 reps explosively. Using what retards at the gym do is a bad example to use when arguing heavy and slow vs explosive lifts. It's usually better to apply that to the larger compound movements since the explosiveness recruits more muscle and coordination.

You never answered my previous question. How do you use the shake weights for power?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  20. ben moak

ben moak Valued Member

oh didnt see the Q. well they actually do retract your muscles rapidly and have a higher RPM(lets say in this coincedence thats its retractions per minute) than doing traditional bicep curls. im not saying its the best option but its AN option.and its not just a choice few at the gym doing it. i always see alot of people doing it and they wonder why there not seeing results(muscle size)