Developing a Strong Jab

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Mitch, Mar 26, 2012.

1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

If you're on the offensive yes you press forward. Do you really need me to tell you that?

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Wellp I guess we can mark that one down under "pearls before swine", no?

I think it's become pretty clear from your vaguely repeating you've "had lessons" and generally spouting nonsense all thread that you've not done any serious training with any competent coach and you've got no real understanding of what you're talking about.

Seriously, you're outclassed here. Wind your neck in and you might learn something.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

you're not very nice. you're not very very knowledgeable. you are not very teachable. what are you doing here?

4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

So, how long have you been Boxing for?

Had lessons could mean that you attended a few now and then. As for watching Boxing, its different to doing it, Its all about experience.

Once you know what something should feel like, then you know what it should look like and what to look for in others doing or attempting Boxing.

As a tip, if you don't know how to explain something then post a link or a video, its generally a bit more courteous than telling people to shove lectures in God knows what.

Also, friends are awesome and can make your life more pleasant, and for that its worth showing a little bit of respect from time to time, if you're lucky you might get some in return. You don't have to agree with another to obtain respect, but its how you go about it that makes the difference.

5. T'was a great thread... at first... :)

Osu!

6. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

It seems to be you who is outclassed.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

@Vampyregirl.... you're making a trainwreck of this thread - and there's really no need for it. Knock if off. Seriously. You're running around trying to finger wag others about boxing. The old adage put up or shut up is entirely relevant here... get a vid of your jab up and I'm sure that will sort much of this hub bub right out.

The lame obtuse attitude stops here. Seriously. That's as nice as I'm going to ask...
    :bang:

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've been watching The A-Team since I was a kid. Doesn't mean I have an idea of what it's like to be a Green Beret though.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Jack Dempsey commented on this in his book as well as being one of the major errors of self defense training.

5. Failure to teach the FALLING STEP ("trigger step") for straight punching has resulted in the LEFT JAB being used generally as a light, auxiliary weapon for making openings and "setting up," instead of as a stunning blow.

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I havent read all this thread yet but I have seen some great advice on developing the various types of jabs,personally I love the jab and think its the first punch to develop,It would help to think of the reasons why the jab is used in order to develop the jab itself im sure you lot know what I mean:)

11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm not interested in the argument. I am interested in perfecting my jab however seems I have recently started Muay Thai / Kickboxing.

Currently I'm being taught using a rope training technique. Weave under the rope with the legs, twist the hip then throw it from the shoulder just across the rope to hit the pad.

I see, in general, a jab as more of a counter tool, a defensive tool, and one for working out an opponents defense.

So where does the difference lie between using it lightly, throwing from the shoulder, to stop someone and work out a defense, and using it with power, with the body behind it, for offense?

12. Effort

Effort New Member

I always had a problem with my left jab and I should have started this thread myself as I have much to gain from it. I have been following this thread and jotting down notes in my note pad! Im starting on it today so here I come with a wicked left. Great thread guys.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

God has spoken - thread ended

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LEQJtWap0M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LEQJtWap0M[/ame]

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Many would say that the difference between light and powerful jabs is in the footwork. Stepping forward makes the jab more powerful. While footwork does change the dynamics of the jab, IMHO, the difference between light and power jabs is in timing.

With a light fast jab, you can get away with just using speed to compensate for lack of great timing and even lack of great technique. To me this is a false sense of security to count on speed and movement because there can always be someone faster and someone with a longer reach, etc.

On the other hand, if you work your jabs with power, this forces one to develop good technique and timing because when you use power with jabs, if you miss, and fail to stun the opponent, you are generally wide open to counters. With great timing, you can always throw a lighter jab if you want to, and all your hits will seem to hit harder, plus you will have that power lead hand strike when you need it. IMHO.

Also, see if anything in this article answers your questions: http://www.expertboxing.com/punch-techniques/the-ultimate-boxing-jab-guide

As for jabs in Muay Thai, there is a difference in the usefulness of a jab when there are kicks involved because of the longer reach and power of many kicks. For example, the opponent can lean away from the jab and kick at the same time. When I jab, my ribs and arm may be open to a kick by my opponent.

When kicks are involved, the jab can be used to blind (attack or block the eyes of the opponent) or clear defenses in conjunction with a kick. For example, my left hand might slap across the face of my opponent when I throw a left Muay Thai round kick to the body. My right hand would protect my head and at the same time I can lean away while I kick from my opponent's power right. The quick jab then might go away and be replaced by other types of light strikes that clear the guard or blind the opponent.

The jab with power is still useful as a counter when there are kicks allowed, but requires good/great timing. For example, the power jab is good, IMHO, right after catching/trapping an opponent's round kick to the body.

---------

In summary, IME, power with a jab is always useful because a jab that stuns or unbalances the opponent is always useful. However, the more power in a jab, the better the timing needs to be or else it will not connect with the opponent.

Jabs that just rely on speed (without a lot of power) can fail to stun or unbalance the opponent. When a jab fails to stun or unbalance, it is debatable how useful the jab will be all the time. Although, just a hand in the face of the opponent to distract and blind them can be very useful and effective when combined with a power technique.

-------

Here is a nice use of the hands in a Muay Thai bout. Too bad the one on the receiving end is Buakaw cause I would have like to see him win :(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdFk3ZH9Uf8"]-K-1 Buakaw Por Pramuk Vs Masato- Parte 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  15. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Are you sure you can't ask any nicer?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's Slip - that's as good as it gets

How long did you train by the way?
    Who with?
    How many fights did you have (if any)?
    How often did you spar?
    Against whom?

17. What she said! :D:D

OSu!

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I think I might have only partially answered the above with:

"Many would say that the difference between light and powerful jabs is in the footwork. Stepping forward makes the jab more powerful. While footwork does change the dynamics of the jab, IMHO, the difference between light and power jabs is in timing."

Sorry, I got side tracked.

So to expand on the footwork and timing. Footwork and timing can make all jabs hit with more power/effectiveness. To me the key factors are protecting yourself and aligning your body for attack.

You can throw any jab you want but just because you are throwing a jab, that does not imply that you are protecting yourself or that you are aligned properly for attack. Call it the "art of the jab" because it is a bigger picture than just how to throw the jab, but when, where, and why.

For added power in my jab, I can step forward and use a falling step with my jab. Alternatively, I can rotate my body almost like throwing a left hook or cross, but it is a left jab instead. Both of these methods add power.

The trick is, my hands are probably needed to protect myself. If my hand is shoulder level or lower for the jab, my head is open. So I have to time it so that when my hand and body is in position for a good jab, I'm not getting counter punched. (One of the things I see some people try to do is jab from a high guard, but when hands are above the shoulder, the jab has no power or range, might as well use a hammer fist because the hammer fist can be strong from there, but hammer fist is illegal in boxing.)

Now if I have the timing to get my hand where it needs to be to throw a good jab without getting counter punched, then the next step is to either use hip rotation or falling step to generate the added power with the jab to ensure that it stuns.

Now there are different kinds of jabs. If my arm is mostly extended and jabbing from there in a "feeler" type jab... I still can get added power from a falling step or rotation when I can add it in, but it might not be necessary to do so given the situation where I would use a feeler type jab.

Hope this makes sense.

19. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Rebel Wado that's a great writeup, thankyou.