Describing a school as 'Shaolin'

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by belltoller, Jul 15, 2015.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Ice / Ben,

Very Interesting

But, if we look at China's suppression of firearms, its no wonder why people will train in fighting especially when it comes to gang violence

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Reminds me of a dvd I happen to watch while we were having dinner with the wife's auntie and uncle one evening.

It was a film based on this Hong Kong 'gang' I warn't particularly keen on it so I didn't pay a lot of attention besides my Cantonese quite dodgy - anyroad, the gangs would attack each other with clubs and knives and so forth. It was actually more violent and bloody than if had been with guns ( as would likely be the case ) Each gang member had a favoured weapon of choice - a baseball bat, nightstick - the films lead had a favourite club of some sort - I think it a leg from a large, luxury bed - it was quite long.

I thought it odd that if they were already up to their necks in that sort of business, why didn't they just do as any other org of their ilk would do and - obtain firearms?

Apparently the PRC has been successful in restricting firearms. You do hear of it and I'm certain there is more than whats being shown but all such possession carry the ultimate punishment, regardless of what was done or not done with the firearm.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

The mention of Shaolin lineage, maybe more of a romanticized than proven lineage. It still beckons why use its reference if the style can stand on its own merit