Demos in the Buj

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dunc, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It's certainly part of the training in a couple of ways:
    - It's inherent in the techniques/methods used (covering gaps, staying safe until you have control and so on), this is pretty much the same in many arts I feel
    - There are specific techniques that embody this concept more fully. For example there are techniques where tori damages uke's ability to chase him/her as they disengage and escape

Also if you train correctly then you are learning this skill 50% of the time as uke (please note that in my view being good as an uke is different from taking dives and simply getting out of dodge)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

of course, being a good uke is very important and very difficult. uke has to provide the right energy to help tori.

cheers.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think many people might still be wondering how pressure and adaptability are part of the training typical of a Bujinkan dojo.

You have to fail at applying techniques to learn the limits of your own abilities and the techniques themselves.

4. Dunc

This has been discussed loads on other threads I think

In summary: It varies by dojo
    All dojo drill techniques and the core "what if" variations of these (we call these henka)
    All dojo will participate in free form training. Pretty much the same as flow sparring in BJJ
    Some dojo will use specific sparring
    Almost no dojo participate in free sparring

Edit: when I say all of course there are exceptions

5. Dunc

Yes, I think that there's a lot to it

The advice that I had was that (in addition to the point you make and learning the attacks etc) one should be constantly looking for opportunities to escape and /or counter when you're uke

You don't take these of course, but you should be looking for them and making sure that you are on balance sufficiently and have kamae so that you can escape/counter at any point

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Thanks for the information. I had the time stamp wrong. I think it is 1:42+, but you found the what I was talking about anyway.

I was wondering if he was critiquing uke's oi tsuki. Uke brings his head over his left foot, which is excessive lean, but tori does not do this and is "in balance".

However, it could just be camera angle that makes uke's lean look excessive.

7. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Probably for several reasons, he's anticipating getting jabbed in the ribs by someone who will bruise them, he is hoping he is really somewhere else and this is all a bad dream, and he is doing it wrong.

There is no drop in weight during the stepping motion so he would be off balance with such a high stance. It's okay to lean some(used to be more prevalent) but it is more correct to stand straighter. The lean must come with a lowering of stance however and the way the knees move and the weight is dropped makes the force go forward. If it is going diagonally down into the ground, you are in trouble.

If you are grounded and punching properly, it doesn't make the technique harder to apply but it does mean that your timing, distancing, angling, and kata(in other words ability) all have to be more in concert to have as good an effect. Even if he jabbed and retracted his arm, you can still do jumonji, you just have to really know what you're doing.

8. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Way off topic, I was at that Tai Kai, in Atlanta I think. Yabanuka took a freak beating. Soke slapped him into a cartwheel the bruise on his face at the dinner was epic, looked like an 8 inch birthmark. He got a first aid kit as a present at the presentation.

OK back to topic.

9. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

That is gold!!!

10. jchristoph1

jchristoph1 Valued Member

I'm a no-stripe white belt in BJJ. This mentality, which I took directly from Jiujitsu University, made my defense extremely strong after a few months of training. If, "Just don't get killed," is also the point of Ninjutsu (which I have an interest in), then I can totally get behind that.

11. Dunc

The only difference, in my view, is that in the buj the idea is to escape in a way that your opponent can't follow you easily or to access weapons
    Which is different (& a little easier) from the BJJ idea of defending to escape to a position for a counter attack
    Although several schools in the buj have this idea also

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  12. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

Well sometimes they're the same thing. If you both end up on the ground, and your opponent has mounted you or he's in your guard, you have to maneuver and position, either to counter-attack, or to just throw him off of you, get back on your feet and escape. You can't just rely on attacking a kyusho or fish-hooking him, you have to practice newaza, which is something I've been working on.

13. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

^this

It does vary; however you typically do not see pressure in the training.

So a lot of it tends to fall apart under pressure.

14. Dunc

In my experience most dojos do make use of pressure

For example it's standard practice (ie that's how its done in Japan) to:
    - Get punched/kicked if you're in the wrong position or not covered
    - Learn to avoid strikes by having someone whack you with a shinai
    - Get your form taken apart

Personally I've incorporated specific sparring into our training & find it helpful to tighten everyone's structure and learn henka

Once again I'd suggest that there is a difference between the training as seen on YouTube and the average dojo

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  15. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

That's not really training with "pressure" and it's good that you incorporate specific sparring; however that is not representative of the average dojo.

16. Dunc

Clearly pressure is on a spectrum and there are always trade offs in adopting a certain training method

If the objective of pressure is to refine technique and develop coolness "under fire", then the average dojo should achieve this without compromising the objective of their training