Democracy just got less appealing...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Oddsbodskins, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

This would actually be a good thing, because it would shine a very bright light on a ridiculous government policy.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I would love that to happen! Just not in this county

4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

;)

5. Southpaw535

Heh, no I'm cool with it happening in the UK just not where it would effect me :p

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

This sort of thing really annoys me. It's got nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with the sort of ill-thought out notions which Cameron and his type hope will win them a few votes.

The danger is that we'll end up with a system where we have to vote for every local office going, down to the local lollypop lady. I suspect that it's another example of the tories assuming that everything that happens in the USA must also work in Britain, which is utter cobblers.

In my experience, Americans get involved in their local political process. Perhaps not as much in deprived urban areas, but in small town America it seems to be the case. They'll turn up to school parents meetings, they will turn out to vote for the local dog-catcher, etc.

But in Britain, apathy rules. Have an elected police commisioner and be prepared for them to get in on a 10% turnout. That won't just mean self-publicists like Katie Price and Jodie Marsh getting elected: it'll might well mean extremists like the BNP getting elected on low turnouts where they mobilise local support. And compared to THAT scenario, having Jordan run the police would be a blessing.

8. holyheadjch

I expect it will be one of the first things to go once the Tories are removed. It's such a bad idea on so many levels.

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

This is a fantastic idea. It would show that so called experts are as much full of crap as a bimbo.

The Bear.

10. holyheadjch

Yes. Why else would the be called 'experts'

11. Southpaw535

What I do like about this is it shows how stupid this idea is that everyone with power needs to be an elected official. It was the thing I hated most in the Lib Dem's manifesto was this idea of elected police chiefs in every area and, I think, elected judges.

12. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

She could frisk me anytime! She's got my vote!

13. Annal606

Annal606 Banned Banned

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing
    [​IMG]

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

You could probably catch summat from getting frisked by Jordan (and I don't mean a cold!)

15. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

IDK what "summat" is but I'm guessing you can't wash that off! :p

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Sorry, I forget sometimes that Johnny Foreigner uses MAP too!* ;) :D

I meant 'something'.

*i.e. people from outside Yorkshire.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

wow... the place that makes the pudding. :p

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

How dare you stick your tongue out at our puddings!!!

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

...you cant have any pudding if you dont eat your meat

20. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

''Eddie the Eagle'' Price?

You know what they say about democracy ... the right to make the wrong choice!!!

I was always been happy to live in a constitutional monarchy (read benevolent dictatorship ;' ) because there was a guarantee that certain principles were maintained in spite of momentary lapses of sanity from the population of the day.

But seriously... maybe it should be like some sports competitions where in order to enter the race you have to show that you have achieved at least a minimum standard of education/experience before you are allowed to participate...

Is Katie Price going to become our ''Eddie the Eagle'' for policing :' S

;')

LFD