Deleting My Account

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by KrazyKaiju, Oct 16, 2019.

1. KrazyKaiju

KrazyKaiju New Member

How can I have my account deleted? I would also like to have the threads associated with my account deleted, if possible. I have not used this account in years.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: It is our policy that MAP does not delete accounts or messages that are in accordance with our TOS. If we did, the continuity and flow of past threads would be confusing and not make sense. Old threads would have strange gaps in them that would not make sense to the reader.

If you have any further questions, please contact our list owner/ Admin Mitch. :)

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've really got to be more careful about what I post here. I keep forgetting this.

axelb likes this.
  4. aaradia

Yep, but not just here. ANY post in any format on the WWW should be considered permanent and forever and view-able by people all over the world.

Whether or not they should be able to, many employers look on the Internet for posts by applicants too.

It astounds me - the lack of care and forethought I have seen friends and co-workers make posting. I would say it is a generational thing, but many people my generation or close to it don't seem to grasp the implications as well as the younger folks.

One co-worker (at another location) had mostly co-workers (including supervisors) on her FB page. Yet she posted repeatedly how she was going to be late for her bus to work, due to playing on FB. And she still can't figure out why she doesn't get transfers/ promotions.

Another example at work would be staff posting images of patrons. That is strictly against our privacy policies. This includes posting images of a gory death in one of our locations. (Yes, I can say that because there were public news articles about the incident.) They got taken down promptly. I know they were just sharing a trauma they went through witnessing it. But that was an appalling lack of good judgement by several people.

There was the person who used to be a student at my school posting party pictures of her and a friend at a bar. Only to have comments by her co-workers ticked off because she had called in sick that evening. The past student tried to justify it saying she was taking care of the friend who needed help with a bad event in her life and that was why she called in sick. (She mysteriously talked about a job change shortly afterwards. Go figure.)

Or the person who posted about her playing a video game where one is a drug dealer avoiding the cops..................

I could cite many more examples. And there are examples I CAN'T say, because of said privacy issues and I know better.

I will say it again. Post on the Internet, anywhere on the Internet, knowing it is probably forever and can be viewed world wide. Think about your future and what repercussions you posts can have.

Alright, stepping of my soap box now.................. This has been my public service announcement for the evening. :D

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

This is worth highlighting @aaradia

Not only the content that you post which is accessible publicly (without login requirement) but also the timing.

Working in a company that deals with analytics, it would not surprise me at all if there is already an analytical software available to associate your alias, and then create statistics on when and where you are most active during your working day.

Most of the next generation will never know the privacy that we took for granted before.

aaradia likes this.
  6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I do wonder how many jobs I've applied for have managed to find my FB profile and sat through many pages of expletive filled political rants

7. ned

ned Valued Member

I was feeling quite smug thinking this would never be a problem for me but apparently, so I've read, those who have never had a FB account are at risk of being seen by employers as psychopathic outsiders not to be trusted :p

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Saying Bo Staff is completely acceptable.

Tacos are a food served in hell to make people suffer, because they are disgusting and an abomination to the very idea of food itself.

I pee in the shower.

Sometimes in World of Warcraft, I camp objectives people go to in order to level their character and I grief them for hours on end. It doesnt matter that they call their guild buddies, because they're usually a one shot kill. They're not turning that quest in today.

These things are now written in internet stone, AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS!!!

:D

Mitch likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

As long as you don't share personal info, and your user name isn't also used on other websites, it's fine to post most things.

The fact your user name is also widely used across the internet also helps you hide in all the other uses of it.

10. aaradia

Eh, except he posts video's of his professional fighting. Don't they announce his real name in those? Didn't he post an interview done as well? Pretty sure that link is on here somewhere and the video interview has his real name in it. Plus, he is working his way up in professional fighting. What if he becomes UFC champ someday? People LOVE to dig up dirt on public figures in particular.

I think PiP in particular, should be a little extra careful.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Read that post in a "mobster makes veiled threat" voice and I would be pretty concerned if I were Pretty in Pink O_O

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

The thought has crossed my mind.

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. aaradia

Even though my job is pretty set until retirement, I am careful about what politics I discuss online. Some topics I just won't discuss. Period.

Some I don't mind, as I don't care to have anything to do with someone opposing what I say. I obviously, for example, will discuss GLBT rights, as I never want to work for or associate with an anti-GLBT bigot.

But many other topics, nah, won't do it online. Would talk way more openly about it in person, but not online.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Dead_pool

Those would be included under personal infomation, as long as the info is in video and not text, it's still a bad idea, but hard to do a simple word search for.

And if the interviews are on his own YouTube or FB page, a simple change of settings can remove the problem.

15. Pretty In Pink

I don't have a problem with posting things about politics or mma or even lgbt. I worry more about personal stuff. My depression thread for instance. I don't know why I'd worry about anyone seeing it. I'm a pretty open book anyway. It just makes me anxious I guess xD

16. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

I don't want be an ass or something but I had this discussion on another forum.

I had my legal aid on this because I didnt want to have any association with that forum and they knew I was in the right but they refused to remove my account.

In the end they had to remove it.

The OP should look into "the right to be forgotten" Art. 17 GDPR – Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’) | General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Just a tip.

Maybe the link can be educational for mods here too. Just a note your TOS isn't the holy grail :)

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  17. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

That is a German thing is it not? Does it apply across borders?

18. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Yes it does apply across borders. I'm from the Netherlands and the other forum (MT) is based in the US. They also thought their TOS was holy but it isn't.

19. Dead_pool

axelb likes this.
  20. Dead_pool