Degrees of LOVE

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by KungFuGrrrl, Apr 24, 2005.

1. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

What is love? really.

I know a degree of love-- the degree of love that I feel for the people I hold close in my life, and that love is so strong I hurt when they hurt I feel sad when they feel sad, I defend their honor without thinking; with my penmanship, with my mouth and sometimes with my fists sometimes I get myself into trouble because of my love for people I would walk through hell for the people I love, have and would again.
    Sometimes I hurt the people I love......Why? I want to know.

I love My teacher, now she is moving away but I hurt and dont want her to move, yet I want what is best for her, is that selfish love?

I love My family, I love my friends, I love my Kung Fu Family, I love a group of people at the Theater, I love a group of people that banded together in the health field to bring healing to those who have no money but desparately need healing, I love the battered women and kids I teach Tai Chi to.
    and now I love someone I just met. Is that ok is it scary? should it be? is it stupid? if so why? I want to know

What does it mean to love?

What is love? What is love to YOU
    is love feeling the need/impulse to protect someone or their honor?
    is love friendship? there are many degrees of friendship, so then are there many degrees of romantic love?
    a feeling of safety
    a feeling of energy in the air, in your body, in your soul?
    a connection?
    if so what kind of connection? can that connection be broken? can it be broken by outsiders? by the one you love? by yourself ?
    What would be the reason if the connection was broken? can the broken connection ever be repaired? WHY

Is love all of these things or all of these things and more? is love none of these things? Then tell me what it is please, I want to know
    If you can love many friends can have many romatic loves? is that fair? WHY please tell me I want to know

Why do people fall in love?
    Why do people fall out of love? or do they really? Were they ever in love in the first place?

Is love a place?
    What does "I FELL in love mean" did you fall into a place ? a place in your mind? a place in time? a place in energyI want to know
    If you can fall in love with a person, when you love a friend is that a different degree of *falling in love* but on a different level?

If love is so beautiful, why does it make me feel sad to think of some of these things.

Some people keep their hearts covered for protection others walk around with their heart in their hand willing to hand it over , time and time again- I want to know why

1:08 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Love IMO is generally when someone starts equating their happiness with another person. For example people will sacrifice for love, they will consider themselves happy even if in reality they are suffering 'I'd do anything to make my wife/husband/bf/gf happy' and so on...

Whatever people think makes them happy they want to hold onto and not lose hence why love makes people both happy and sad, happy they have/had love, sad that they have/might lose it.

And in my own experience people fall in and out in love as their perspective of their significant other changes. 'Your not the person I fell in love with', 'I dont know you anymore etc.'

Hence Love is probably the strongest form of attachment pure and simple and there is nothing wrong with that but I think any attempt to address it up as anything else is wishful thinking.

Just my opinion mind you and I'm just as prone to falling in love as the next person.

3. KungFuGrrrl

Thanks for you opinion! and btw, I LOVE your quote.
    KFG

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hmmmm, for me, in a word, the definition of love is betrayal. Everyone I've ever loved (except my paternal grandmother) has either crushed me or betrayed me in one way or another. I'd just as soon not love anymore in my life. The ones I love either die, are taken away one way or another, or betray me........

Bitter? Sure I am......

5. silksword

silksword New Member

i see someone has fallen in love for the first time ;) :love:

be careful though, do not give too much of your heart away to someone,

you are young and it is better to focus on other things. it is alot of time and devotion, as well as effort. another big caution... having children, it happens...

dont rush into it. and remember.

guys are dogs. you have your whole life to find the right guy. dont rush it.

6. Omicron

Omicron is around.

You mean SOME of us are dogs. There are good ones out there, too :D

I think that the many things we call "love" in English are separate feelings that could have different names. I love my friends, and I love my family, and I love my girlfriend, and I love chocolate. As far as I'm concerned, those are totally different emotions all called "love". Sure, I gain a deep feeling of enjoyment and fulfillment from all of them, but they are fundamentally different.

I suppose the simplest answer to your question is that love is a process of chemical and electrical impulses in our brains that creates a certain feeling for some external thing. I think that we've evolved this feeling of love and caring for other people as a survival tool. We are a social species, and we NEED other people in our lives to be completely satisfied. Why? Because back in the day we needed each other to survive. Creating emotional connections with other people is a good way to hold groups together, and so those who had a desire to be with other people would have survived better to pass on their genes and have children who in turn were more social.

Is romantic love any different? Not really. Being programmed to have romantic attachments is again another assurance that we will pass on our genes and the survival of the species will continue. Would a hypothetical animal with no desire to reproduce ever last very long? Nope. Only those that have a pre-programmed primal desire to reproduce and pass their genes on will last for any significant period of time and not go extinct.

So, love is, or at least was, survival. Does that make it any less romantic? I don't think so. Sure, from an objective point of view it might seem to be just another mechanism by which the human race is assured to continue on. But as just another guy who falls in love like everyone else, and as one of those who walks around with heart in hand, I still feel that love is absolutely the greatest thing in the world.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Kwajman hit the nail on the head, love is betrayl/lies/infidelity/obsession/infatuation/depression/destruction. TRUST ME. you are better off alone. people change, and when they change, their needs and wants change, no one can stop it, your better off hearing it from us then from someone who wants to play cheer me up when you've got a pistol in your mouth over some random person who left you {and they will} love is not healthy in the long run, cause it will OBLITERATE your emotional state, and when it goes, your immune system starts to go, trust me. i rememeber when i went through that. I contracted TB which the doctors said was due to a weakened immune system which was due to all the emotional stress of the relationship. there are only 3 stages of love, none of which are healthy.

Curiosity.
    Infatuation.
    Obsession.

anyone who has felt the pain of love will do anything in their power to avoid dealing with it a 2nd time. the people who say "keep looking" obviously haven't been there.

8. Kwajman

Finally some people who agree with me. Even those who say, "The love of a child is perfect.". When those kids grow up and turn into something less than expected.......

A poll was done many years ago (late 80's) I'll see if I can find it, and almost 60% of adults said they'd NOT have children if they could do it all over again.

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

NO kid will live up to their parents expectations that a fact.

my mom wants me to be an ivy leauge graduate. she dosen't support me fighitng at all, and she hardly supports my gaming any more. but its waht i'm gonna do. so she needs to wrap her head around that.

10. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Hmm, I should probably get rid of my parents and GF preety soon then in case they betray me....

11. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Love is usually between $5,000 and $15,000 in attorney fees.

12. KungFuGrrrl

You are SO sweet, I am not young by far,....... I am 41, have a non profit I teach TCC to battered women and kids............I am actually in this months Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine........ if you can get ahold of it... it tells my story...........

13. KungFuGrrrl

THAT is a wonderful thing to hear :)

KFG

14. KungFuGrrrl

I feel a parent should not make the expectation a decision factor if they love or not..... I have a 22 yr old son, Blake, ok he is a musician, artist, model, actor, working? sometimes, living high?yes and no. he falls on his face, he goes thru times when is is the *King of Hollywood* then, BAM back to no work, people turn on him ups and downs ya know,sure I prefer he have a good career but he is not happy in college, he is happy traveling through life finding his own niche. Do I love him any less? NO. I love him more.

He has fell into the drug scene on one of the lows, but he called me, I took him to the hosp he got cleaned up after almost dying ..at least he knows what to expect from that world now and with no permanent damage.... I am sad for that but happy that he knows I love him enough to give him support (within reason) and not badger him about the idiotic choice he has made at the time. and I understand that by going through all of these things, both the wonderful and the horrific..... is turning him into the wonderful soul he is....I tell him ......."If you choose this negative thing, YOU are the one who must live with the outcome.....if you choose this positive thing YOU are the one who must live with this outcome"....

If he were gay, I would still love him........if he hurt someone I would love him, I would not have him in my life anymore but he would still be my child...... so I disagree that a parent loves a child until they grow up and become a dissapointment (someone made a comment like that ) I just had to ramble......you know me:)
    there is something good that can come from every situation , sometimes you just have to try really really hard to find it.
    KFG

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Do you want me to tell you something really subversive?
    Love IS everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it... it really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.

And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.

There are certainly are various degress of love ... if you want it you'll find a way. :love:

If not, you'll find an excuse :rolleyes:

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

that is a lie.

i'm not making excuses, i've been there, i know the consequences.
    blindly believeing you're going to be worth anything more than money to another person is asking to fail.

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

funny, that sounds exactly like an excuse to me

18. KungFuGrrrl

WOW

19. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I've been there too, and I totally disagree with you.

People who say that love is betrayal and lies aren't defining love, they are defining the after-effects of failed love. Look it up in the dictionary. Love is different than those things. It's the opposite of those things! Sure, it can make people bitter, there's no doubt about that. But I think that's only a testament to the power of love! The feeling of loss and betrayal that comes after a failed relationship only proves even more how sweet that relationship was, and how much of an empty hole is left when love is gone.

Please don't try to diminish the feelings and experiences of others just because they disagree with your own. I went through a LOT of bad stuff at the end of my last relationship...I really felt like we had something good going, and that we could go all the way. When I found out my girlfriend felt differently and didn't want to be with me, I can honestly say that was the worst feeling of my entire life. I'll never forget that day.

But, now I'm back at it again. I've met a great new girl, and I really enjoy being together. Is that being blind? Obviously not. I'm quite aware of what happens at the end of relationships. And yet I choose to put myself and my heart on the line again. I do that because love is worth it. I would gladly go through that kind of difficulty again if it meant that I would find love. In my opinion, love is beyond worth, and I'll risk being hurt time and time again just for one chance at love and happiness.

20. Kwajman

Well good luck to you. I hope you do find love. I think those of you who have found lifelong love are very lucky. I personally just have too many things going on to risk it again. Just recently I thought something might be happening with a new friend and it just isn't worth it. The risks outweigh the benefits.