Definition of various Titles.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Griffin, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

After reading through some other threads about terms used for certain ranks or positions of authority within various orgs, and those that break away to form own orgs/systems etc I have begun to understand that at the very least, a clear understanding and grasp of the Language should be adhered to in respect of its use.

Now, i find "kancho" to be a bit of an oddball term, and as yet, the only reference i have found to its use is that perhaps (unconfirmed) Kanazawa had used it/or had it bestowed upon him??
    From my very basic understanding of Japanese language at this point in time, a words meaning has much to do with the context in which it is used.
    So in his case, it perhaps could be appropriate? i dont know.

Then i came across this on you-tube.

http://youtu.be/WL0_cnibCXE

Now, i had just settled on the description of kancho to imply something like the leader of a breakaway group, i may be a little off with that, and ofcourse the other more comical reference to a suprising poke!

This group seems to give it to anyone over 5th or 6th dan.

Thoughts/corrections?

:cool:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

The word 館長 means "[Training-]Hall Leader". (It's pronounced kanchô in Japanese and kwanjang in Korean.)

I believe that the "comical reference" you mentioned is a word which sounds the same as the above but refers to suppositories and not training-hall leaders. I don't know the kanji for it, though.

3. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

will have to watch this video again a couple times. knowledge of proper japanese terminology is..... not..... "up to snuff". good video though, griffin.

thanks