defining technique

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Martial One, Apr 20, 2005.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

She's a keeper, mate. :)

2. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

i think the destinction is useful for organizational purposes. If something is organized more simple it would be easier to learn i think. But of coarse it often takes complex thoughts to make a plausible simple statement.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey, if it helps you, it helps you. Personally, though, I think it's a bit much.

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Ive gotten out of rear choke holds by grabbing fingers.... :D I forgot what its called though...
    it can too be trained!

When you realize that fists, first knuckles, second knuckles, palms, hands, fingertips, fingernails, teeth, heads, feet, toes, knees, elbows, wrists, shoulders, toenails, bodyweight, nail polish, books, phones, weapons, coins, chairs, tables, cds, pens, etc are all tools, then you might understand what the distinction between tools and techniques are.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

*sigh* Read the post again Siphus. I'm sure anyone here with more than a few months training has learned a couple of grip releases involving grabbing the fingers. That's not what happened here.

Slindsay's girlfriend 1) recognized a very singular opportunity (it's not like Slindsay has big cuts on his finger all the time and 2) capitalized on it.

That, to me, was a great example of improvisation.

I appreciate the patronization. Really. But I already understand the distinction. I just don't find it very useful. That's a personal objection and, believe it or not, does not equate with a lack of understanding.

This level of classification is, to my mind, mostly useful for teaching. And if I'm teaching, I'm not going to list all the different bodily tools (never mind the environmental tools) first and then go back and teach applications for each. I'm going to teach applications (technique) and inherent in that will be the appropriate tool. In other words, if I'm teaching the jab, part of that lesson will be the appropriate fist formation for the jab.

But teaching methodology is a very personal thing.

Stuart

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

That was indeed exactly the point I was maing Ap, cheers for saving me the effort of explaining it.

Personally I dont really see how you can separate parts of a punch from each other and I dont entirely get what your point is Siphus?

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

My pleasure. :)

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Here's a second here, here Stuart. Well put.

- Matt

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks Matt. :)