Define Yourself

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gray, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Gray

Gray New Member

Now, probably all of us here would consider ourselves to be martial artists (to some extent at least). I'm interested to know how you define yourself - that is, how you feel that are a martial artist. Do you live the philosophy? Do you fight hard? Are you an excellent student or teacher, adept in forms and theory? Etc, etc, etc...

Personally I consider myself to be a novice martial artist. With only three years of training under my belt, I'm still a "grasshopper". However, I am only 16 years old and hope to continue my studies as long as possible. I think the best way to put it is that I'm a hard worker when it comes to MA. I train roughly six days a week (mostly at home in my own time) and love every minute of it. My long term goal is to gain a firm grasp of many concepts - jack of all trades, master of none. In particular, I look to sharpen my strikes and direct my natural speed. So I'd call myself a hard-working martial artist.

You?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  2. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

I am novice too. I am a slender female Shotokan practitioner, who loves MA for the social, fitness, technique POV. I think MA practice has done me great and has helped a lot with my focus and goal achieving.

I am not the hard core type of MAist. I go to practice and enjoy it. I have a huge ego (don't like to be called stupid or something since I know I am not. Reason enough to stop training with a reputable sensei, since I am not everyones mocking target).

I would love to continue my classes (have ceased for some months due to back problems and 2 jobs that take my entire day). once I'll be able to resume, I'll gladly do so.

BTW, nice topic ;)

3. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well, I'm 18 years old, I'm a very happy person, I like spending time with my girl, my friends..

I like good movies, like Fight club, A clockwork orange, The Hustler, the Godfather trilogy, The Sopranos, Heat, Schindlers list, and well, basically every other movie with Pacino, or Deniro in it..

I spend my days working at the local supermarket, just to finance my very laidback lifestyle.. At the afternoon I workout, and hang with friends..

From a MA point of view, I'm not a novice anymore, but have still much to learn, and much skills to improve..

I'm tall, and slim build, but still I weigh 176 lbs and have a very long reach. I'm fast, and have a great jab. So I consider myself a very promising boxer :eek: :p

I have been boxing for over 2.5 years.. still enjoy it!!:D Allthough I do not compete, I train quite hard.
    I do not have a huge ego, which I find quite usefull when in brawls and when people pick on me. I just walk away.. no harm done.

I love boxing for it's movements, and the fitness gained from it.

uhm.. well.. anything more about myself.. I've tried to become a cop, didn't pass all of the test, my scores were just not good enough..

Right now I'm looking for a job at the firefighters (My governement doesn't spend much money on the fire squad so they don't have much vacancies)

I'm also thinking about going to get my Security certificate.. so I can become a nightwatch-men, or study on, and become a bodyguard..

So.. I think I have defined myself well enough (as good as one can present himself over the internet:D)

4. ~Natsumi Lam~

~Natsumi Lam~ New Member

-19 years of martial arts, i dont call myself a martial artist, i just live it...

well,

let me think about it for a sec.....

A Martial Artist? : i dont really think of myself as a martial artist.... let me explain. Since i grew up in a martial arts household, being the only 3rd generation child who actually cared about their grandfather's, and father's style i tried to learn from them as much as i could. And yes i am totally lazy at times.... but overall, i truely love martial arts and all different kinds [other than one style]. My goal when i was growing up was to be the next world champion in martial arts. I idolized Jackie Chan [older movies], i loved reading anything about martial arts... i did projects about martial arts.

So, i have been doing martial arts for 19 years... my dad, grandfather, uncle, mom, brother [lazy boy], and my husband all do martial arts. My husband and i do light touch kungfu when we are making a bet on something. " you make it to 5 points first and you can buy that skirt.. or 5 points and i get a new exaust." It is totally just a way of life for me, i love it, i live it, and i wouldnt give it up for the world now!!!

In HS, i stupidly gave up that dream for a time... I wanted to do cheerleading. My father said i had to beat up a full grown man and run him off the mat to join cheerleading. I did, so i gave up my dream to do cheerleading.
    [I stil did martial arts but not fervently for a couple years]

Now, i regret giving up that time with my whole heart. I was known as one of the best girl martial artists in tucson [among all different styles]. I missed out.

One day i hope to open an offical Heiwado "Way of Peace" multi-style martial arts dojo that doesnt have belts. And along with those classes i will teach dance. Helping to promote my Martial Tap Arts and the Kung Fu Alphabet.

I always desire to learn more, i know i am nothing compared to most people.. and i am cool with that. There are so many awsome styles, and so much to learn. No one can really be arrogant because there is so much more EVERYONE has to learn[i am totally included]. I am fine being the one standing in the back, watching people bad mouth and talk smack about other styles.. i can learn more that way. I believe " It is better to talk less and listen more"!!!!

In conclusion: i think my sig. quote speaks it, [not the taco bell one :)].

~NL~

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I try not to define myself as a rule. I don't really refer to myself as a martial artist. I enjoy martial arts obviously. Have done for more than 20 years now. So obviously, they've had a huge impact on me over the years. I can't really imagine what I'd be like personally if I hadn't gotten into them. In addition to martial arts themselves, they were also my gateway into various other interests, like philosophy, religion, and psychology. They were a social outlet. And so on.

But I'm 34 years old now. And martial arts are just a part of a larger context. A significant part. But I'm a father, a husband, a friend, a counselor, a student, a son...

Each of those roles is affected by the other. I train less because I'm going to school, working, and raising a child. But I can juggle those things because I train one a week and it keeps me centered.

I shy away from the "martial arts are a way of life" idea. Anything you do for years and years can become an integral part of your way of life. Marathon runners make running a way of life. Chess players make chess a way of life. And martial artists make martial arts a way of life. Anything around which you make significant decisions could be considered a way of life. Or at least a significant part of your way of life.

My way of life is complicated. It involves a lot of roles, responsibilities, and decisions. Martial arts are a part of that. But I don't consider them the unifying principle anymore.

Stuart

6. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

i dont really consider myself a martial artist, i'm just learning how to fight

7. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

Stuart - I couldn't have put it better myself. No reason for me to make a long post 'cause I would just be saying exactly what you said. Kudos man - beautifully put.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey cheers! And it's nice to hear I'm not alone in that perspective. :)

9. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

That about sums it up for me...

10. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

My life is centered around martial arts. My uncle Wes started teaching me Seibukan Karate when i was about 2, which is probably a big reason for my passion. I never got too serious about it untill i was 16 though when my Grandfather made me head of the Odori Kumo Dojo, which closed down two years later, not much interest in Juneau Alaska. I am more of a student than a teacher, i will always have much to learn. In ancient history the black belts were black belts because their white belts were so dirty, and when they got too dirty they just put on a fresh new white belt and started over. I think that's the way it should be, when you get far you just start from the beginning again.

11. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Way of life - no.

Big part of my life - yes.

12. Simple

Simple New Member

I took martial arts for 3 months. Tae kwon do, and thought it was pretty pointless. i wanted to kno the basics amd got it i learned some grapple/kick/punch. From there i just started readings many books. I knew how to punch/kick/different body position all that stuff. Some people dont believe it, if ur smart and use logic and common sense u can master an art just by reading, any fight who train delay would beat me in the long run, only because of the physical strength difference, but i can bet on that ill give ill give a go for the money, hahaha.

Im not a novice nor a beginner or a master. Im just one of those people who like to read/comprehend and see if it work or not.

13. regs

regs New Member

Well, as I am new to the whole MA world, I can't even consider myself a novice. I'm just one person on the journey, though I am passionate about it. I've taken to practicing at work when I take a break. I'll be standing out in the parking lot practicing punches and kicks, in bed at night visualizing moves sensei has shown us in classes that week. "A journey begins with a single step," ya know?