Defense against dangerous dogs?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by EdiSco, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I could even imagine that it's more difficult to do it physically.
    (Not saying, that the mental part would be close to easy!)

And that seems to be a problem, with lots of suggestions toward this topic, not only here but in general.

Every time I read or hear someone say something in the lines of "just grab it", I look at my dog and remember how I screwed it up, when I want to grab him for any reason :oops:
    (Usually the reason him being in puberty and nudging my arm with his open mouth; not biting or anything just jumping at it with an open mouth. Puberty is great, What makes people get kids? Their puberty will take even years! :confused:)

pgsmith and axelb like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This thread seems to have become more about how to cause harm to a dog.

We seem to have lost sensible suggestions such as keeping still, putting hands in pockets so they can't be grabbed, don't make sudden movements and so on.

axelb likes this.
  3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Put your hands in your pockets and my dog might accompany you for a while - thinking "yummie belongs in pockets" :D

I addition: If they haven't done anything yet and don't seem *too* aggressive or likely to explode any second, I would probably just let my hands drop, so they can sniff on them.
    The usual dog doesn't come running attacking for no reason.

If the attack were already going, I'm honest: If the dog had a size to count as a dog, I'd be screwed and react in reflexes and instincts, and grab what I could get.
    Because I really doubt, I could be thinking properly, when being *really* bitten in a rage, let alone go and grab a hind leg, for which I'd need to get even closer to the mouth of the dog with my head and find a nerve.

So just like with self-defense against people: I would be hoping the best, because I *can't* know, what I'd be doing if it came to it.
    I can have ideas and goals - but no way of knowing, if I could actually *do* it, or would be beaten down beforehand.

axelb likes this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Really? When exactly and under what circumstances did that happen? How big was the dog?

No offense, but...

1. I am dubious of this actually having happened............

2. Even if it worked once, I think that is a fluke. This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have read on MAP ever. o_O What is the reality of grabbing a moving angry dog by the leg as something that could be done with a decent success rate? Seriously! Then, even if you do so, you expose yourself to being bitten while in the act of grabbing the leg. The mechanics of pulling this off AND pulling it off without getting bitten seem rather low. Then, if the dog is big, the reality of swinging it by the leg even if you manage to grab it.

Sorry man, but this is absolutely ludicrous! Ridiculous suggestion IMO.

pgsmith, Hannibal and Simon like this.
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I’ve seen back leg grabs on dogs work this way
    With the caveat they were fighting another dog at the time and it was a safe way to separate

Outside of those type of circumstance I call shenanigans

pgsmith and axelb like this.
  6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

As you say, shenanigans, because...............
    YouKnowWho specifically said FRONT leg. As in, the dog if hostile AND facing you, presumably with teeth bared.

Back leg means the dog isn't facing you and isn't focused on you, as you mention in your scenario. And if the dog isn't focused on you and is facing away, then it isn't attacking you. Then you aren't defending yourself against it. One can just walk away. And the scenario of the thread is defending yourself against an attack. Not breaking up a dog fight. So, apples and oranges.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    axelb and Hannibal like this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

probably the best defensive option :D

Treats!!
    I haven't met a dog that did not go excited for super stinky dog treats.

sI used to live next to a neighbour who left their German shepherds outside and was always on high guard mode, they used to snap and back at the wire fence, and the gaps in the fence they would stick their nose through.

A lot of smelly dog treats later and they was always happy to see me.
    No dog throwing necessary

Latikos and pgsmith like this.