Defending myself

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by KidCanFight, Oct 5, 2006.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Ok, here is my situation.

I am in grade 9, and there is this other guy. For a number of reasons, We have pretty much hated each other since grade 7. I don't want to use bad language, so I will just say that I do not like him very much.

Anyway, I try to avoid him as much as possible (not because I'm scared of him, just because I couldn't be bother putting up with him). Lately he has been coming up to me and punching me for no reason. It is usually on the arm and stuff so it's not going to kill me, but I obviously don't enjoy it. I've told him to pretty much **** off every time he does it, but he justs punches me for no reason. I try to block the punches (and often do), but I can't just block them all.

I am 5th kup in TKD, so if I saw him in the street I would probably give him a hard sidekick and a few punches if he came anywhere near me, but as it is at school I cannot really injure him. I am going for prefect next year, so being in a fight probably wouldn't help my chances.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I am thinking that if he comes near me I should tell him to stop and not come any closer (loudly), and if he crosses the line, I should pretty much unleash on him. Then I would have justification and hopefully witnesses too. Then there comes the problem of him getting his bogan friends to bash me, but that's not what I'm worried about now anyway.

I know I should just tell a teacher or something (as it is technically bullying and you are meant to report bullies to teachers, etc.) but because I am a grade 9 male all my friends and stuff would bag me out, and we all know how rumours spread through high school.

Thanks for reading this, and I would really appreciate any advice.

2. Smokey13

Smokey13 Valued Member

Hey mate,
    iv been in this type of situation at school a few times. Most of the time my best advice would be ignore any payout he has and dont worry about him. but if hes up in ya face punching ya and doing those strange little pushes people do when trying to psych themselves up then i suggest you do waht you said, tell him loudly to back off, then knock his block off if he doesnt.
    Mind you you dont want to seriously damage him, Just enough to prove you can own him.
    Dont worryabout the bogan mates, your mates will be with ya at school, and they hopefully wouldnt let his mates jump ya. if your mates would let them, then you got a lil problem.

hope this helps, cya good luck

3. alister

alister Huh?

Ignore it. Steer clear and keep your wits about you. I'd say tell your teachers - who cares what other people think? In a few years you won't even know any of those people. At least if you've told them, and you do end up taking him on, they'll know that you were provoked. If he's as much of an ass as you say, I'm sure the teachers already know.

If he comes in close, all up in your face keep him at a distance with a "fence". If he comes in too close, use your fence to push him, but do it hard, like a strike to the chest. That should give him a jolt, a shock of adrenaline (which he may confuse for fear) and will give you back some distance. If he comes in again, go to work, but I'd say avoid kicks and blocks, cover up, move in, grab his head and pul him around to break his balance. There's loads you can do from here, but I think you should look into and practice that for yourself. I'm not saying this to be dismissive of your MA training, but real fighting is very different to point sparring.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.geoffthompson.com/detailArticles.asp?id=21

This is what I'm talking about, by Geoff Thompson - one of the UKs top self defence guys.

Oh, and by the way, just thought I'd add, don't worry too much about what happens at school - prefect and all that stuff. I promise you, none of it counts when you leave and start looking for work. Sorry if that bursts a bubble but it's the truth and teachers just use it as a myth to control you with the fear that your future is at risk!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  4. KidCanFight

Thanks heaps to both of you guys for the advice. It might be the best idea to tell him to go away and draw an invisible line and tell him to to cross it, and if he does.

Another thing is that sometimes he comes and threatens me but doesn't actually punch me (maybe about 20% of the time). Next time, if he advances on me, I am not going to wait to see if he is joking.

5. Wax

Wax Valued Member

Remind him that little punches like that are how young guys express their attraction to young girls.. then tell him your flatterd but don't swing that way. Every time he does it after that (if hes that thick) just tell him to stop cracking onto you because it makes you uncomfortable. :D

6. sync

sync Valued Member

if he advances on you after you have warned him, give him a quick, straight, hard punch to the diaphram ( the area just below the sternum ). This will put him on the ground in a fetal position for a while. the effects of such a punch will leave him gasping for air and sometimes can induce vomiting.

7. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

I think that most of the advice that has been given is correct. Just try to ignore the guy, use violence as a last option, both in school and "on da deadly streets". But seriously Wax's idea was especially good as using a joke to disarm an opponent in school can be extremely effective (in other circumstances maybe not).

Just as a side note I knew a guy who was very, very, very protective of his girlfriend. This other guy had been winding him up about it. One day the two had an argument, unkindly words were said about the first guy's girlfriend and it ended up with the first guy seeing red and slamming the other guy's head into a wall with about a 5 metre run up. Needless to say the second guy fell like a house of cards. First guy was lucky not to get expelled (this was only due to the guy who guy who got his head slammed saying he was going too far - I doubt many others would do this) and got away with a small suspension, a written apology, scrubing the blood off the wall and (even though it dosen't really matter) not getting the prefect spot he was lined up for.

A pretty common situation and a pretty common ending. A pretty common response from the head slammer too - he was completely ashamed of himself (didn't go down too well with his girlfriend either). He wished he had never been thier in the first place. Bottom line - don't get sucked in.

8. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Keikai-Tsutsumi New Member

Locking and restraining techniques are perfect for this situation. You give him the idea, via a lot of pain, that you are not happy. He is not hurt and you are looking good because you have used resonable force and technique to control your attacker. Looks good on your resume.

Greg Palmer

Tsutsumi Ryu Ju Jutsu

9. KidCanFight

Thanks to everyone.

I sorta know some locking techniques, but no real throwing/sweeping techniques.

10. MMAWARRIOR20

MMAWARRIOR20 Valued Member

so what happened did you win, tell a teacher?

11. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

Wax's idea is best by far :D

12. David10

David10 New Member

My friend had the same problem and I was usually the one to break up the potential fights.

Anyway another good one to break up an immediate fight, it told the guy who was punchin my friend. "Dude, I know you want to touch John, but you know there's kids around"

He was real ****ed of at me.

But anyway try to stay in around teachers and do mostly blocking, the fighting didn't acutally stop untill a teacher got envolved.

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Back when I was at school, most fights happened at the train station after hrs. If he is really irritating you that much, just talk to him after school and tell him what will happen if he continues to screw with you.

Personally, I feel suspention is worth never having to take crap again, but thats just me.

14. taekwon-dork

taekwon-dork Valued Member

Just learn to ignore the guy. Sorry but some of the advice around fighting back is just plain stupid. Welcome to the real world, you will find bullies from this point on in your life. If I decided to fight back every time I had to deal with someone who was an insecure @sshole (pardon my language) I'd never get any work done.

Realize that he is probably very insecure in his person and feels that the best way to elevate his social standing is to pick on someone he perceives as a low threat. If you learn to walk away and not give him the satisfaction of getting a rise out of (ie. stop blocking the punches) then his game gets boring quickly. Don't make a big show of avoiding him just make it happen naturally.

By all means if this escalates to him coming after you in a violent aggressive way that you feel is a threat then defend yourself. Otherwise be the bigger man and walk away. Seriously, how much fun is it to play a game when the other person wants nothing to do with it.

TK-Dork

PS - Also calling him a 'fag' or insinuating it may get you into trouble with either the school or he could be a massive homophobe and just jump you outside the school sometime. Not smart imo.

15. sync

sync Valued Member

When I was in high school, I saw quite a few kids get bullied. The ones who did not stand up to the bully continued to get picked on. It also emboldened other bullies to do the same. It's true that bullies are usually insecure. It is also true that most bullies are nothing but mouth. Most of the time you only have to stand up for yourself once. Noone wants to get a busted nose. If it takes giving a busted nose to a bully as a message to him and others to not mess with you, then I see no problem with it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  16. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Humans are animals, and like all other animals, there is a hierarchy. Bullies pick on people them deem to be the lowest.

Not taking crap from anyone is a sign of being high up the hierachy, bullies wont go near you.

If you could pick on the quiet guy that doesnt fight back, or the guy that will put you on your ass if you cross the line, who would you choose?

17. Smokey13

Smokey13 Valued Member

An old tkd instructor of mine once said to me that in a situation at school like this that you should ignore it but there are some idiots in the world that need a punch in the nose to let them know they should back off.
    cheers

18. taekwon-dork

taekwon-dork Valued Member

I'm not saying walk around like cattle in the school. Do your thing just ignore this guy (or anyone like it). I guarantee the fact that he is 'blocking' punches has turned this into a game for the bullies.

Next time you get punched, look at the guy and say 'Whatever dude.' and walk away. The lower key your reaction the less likely it is to get the excitement up. Sure they will test a few times but after that the fun is gone.

TK-Dork

19. chopper84

chopper84 New Member

if he punches you then kick his head in. Simple as. Why learn a martial art if your to scared to use it? it;s like learning to drive and then never getting in a car. he has started it so you are well within your rights to give him a good hiding.