Defending against a front kick to the groin

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by luis, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

a long time ago, i saw some iron ones sold as "muay thai cup". those should do pretty well, if not a little cold:eek:. and yeah, mine was an accident.

2. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

Iron balls maguinty :D

3. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

cross your arms in front of you, like an x, an stop the kick. Then proceed to return the favour.

4. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

A few spring to mind, all of which I've used.
    1) As you did turn and drop lead knee slightly, this either deflects or takes the hit on the thigh.
    2) If daft enough to be standinding square on pull both knees together and arch hips backwards, the kick is either deflected upwards (not a great idea), stopped at the knees or caught between your thighs.
    3) Slight turn and use shin to block.
    4) Raise lead foot and block, personally I found it easier and quicker to use the rear foot.
    5) Similar to #3, except actually kick, I personally prefer rear foot for this.
    6) Lunge (for want of a more technical term) one way or the other and hook the leg.
    7) Bend knees slightly, and slap the leg out of the way.
    8) Step out of the way.

On no account would I advise using the hands to block forward, hence #6&7 are more dangerous. The risk of a) damaging hands b) missing c) getting your face smashed in, is really too great IMO. Your legs will be quicker as they are closer to the intended target. The only time I would advise getting closer to your attackers "weapon" is when it is a knee strike instead of a kick.

As for a follow up, I would highly recommend the right cross/hook to the jaw, but as Thomas pointed out, you really need to decide if such action is appropriate, or is saving your groin enough.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004
  5. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

You sure about this one ?
    I'd have to bend forward to do this with no guarantee that he wouldnt kick from under the block and even if I did block I'd have finger/hand injuries .
    My own reaction would be to protect groin area by turning lower body to side stance (stepping back) so that kick more likely on leg (if it does indeed connect) possibly with an attempted front leg crescent kick to deflect his kick away . If this works and leaves him unbalanced and coming forward I would feel justified in using an elbow strike or whatever was easiest to help me make my escape

6. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

Judderman
    good reply!
    pity it wasnt there when I started writing mine or I would have just posted
    "ditto" :)

7. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Just a quick question, what would you do if the kick was replaced by a knee? What would your defence be then?

8. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

presuming knee strike was undertaken when I'd been grabbed I would be turning groin away as before and try to use his forward motion to help pull him offbalance with perhaps kneestrike to side of thigh or if possible get behind him and knee back,pull his head down backwards ..and run

9. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

on mine, he would be offbalance and his weight would be moving past you (if you do it right) no knee there unless he pulls it back, and then it is just a standard knee. with the punch one, the only target in range is the face, and a little sidestep to the inside will take it out of the path, and since your arm is already right there, you could hook it under the leg and reap or do an upwards toe kick to the groin, or the nerves behind it, or a thai style roundouse to the inside of the standing leg.

10. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

No difference if you adopt a stance that protects your groin.

11. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

tight fists won't break fingers. you don't necessarily have to lean forward, you could lean back and sort of squat, blocking the kick. you'd just have to be quick enough to move so that you don't get hit in the face.

12. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Ahh, that is different. To have a knee used on you he would have to have grabbed you on the shoulders or around the neck.

1. Don't resist and try to pull away.
    2. Immediately begin punching the target in front of you. (These will be short, straight line punches traveling up the chest, 8 punches in all)
    3. Keep forward pressure on your defense. (As he moves back you move forward)
    4. Walk the punches up his chest in rapid succession. (Doing this in class, just with small punches really makes it difficult for the attacker to breath, because of the hits to the chest you involuntarily keep everthing tensed up).
    5 The sixth punch will be an uppercut.
    6. The last punch should be a right cross (ending the last punch with the normal 'power' arm...if your left handed you would want to end with a left cross)

Attacker grabs you.
    Step toward him.
    You punch left/right, left/right higher, left/right higher, left uppercut, right cross.
    Help him up :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  13. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Not necessarily. The attacker may be close but they don't necessarily have to grab you to knee you. Maybe they just poke you in the eye first and then swing a knee into your nads...

Your best bet (if you see the knee strike coming...) is often simple footwork to move backwards slightly and then spike his Kneecap/ Thigh muscles with a downward elbow smash as his knee strike comes up having missed your nuts, ideally at the end of its movement. Use your Rear elbow as it will have more power and you are looking to floor the attacker by smashing thru his thigh....

Don't lean your face in, as you might meet the knee with your face. There are lots of other counters to knee strikes in Thai and Burmese arts, but spiking his striking tool is the simplest tactic and is an unequivocal reply.

An alternative spiking tactic is to meet the oncoming knee strike by bending the knees slightly and parrying the Knee strike away with your lead elbow(ie his Right knee strike your Left Elbow point sweeping from Your Left to Right), which is very painful to the attacker, as Elbow into meat of thigh is a nice electric shock.

If they have grabbed you and are kneeing you, then use a Leg Shield to stop their oncoming knee strike and then a simple bit of clinchwork/ shoulder control practice will enable you to turn someone in the clinch, by feeling their movement and sending them flying in an opposite direction, again basic Muay Thai...or alternatively turn/ throw them in the clinch and then knee them to pieces on their way round.

There are loads of other examples, but these two are simple and productive.

Against the Kick to the nads, easiest thing is to block/ parry it with your Shin/ Knee-a standard Inside Leg Shield, or a variant where you drop the shin onto the incoming kick, but as ever simple footwork is the easiest defence-literally no be there....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  14. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Yes, that does sound efficient.

I was thinking about being clinched up and the attacker pulling and kneeing. I see your point. :)

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Dude, you pivoted so his ankle hit your knee. Then he left.

You already know the clever technique for this. Well done.

16. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

omg that reminds me of a really funny hapkido class i had once involving me, a TKD junior master and him still having a cup on from sparring.

anyways, this is reason enough to learn how to do a standing backflip! someone coming in for a kick to the groin? BACKFLIP AWAY! back handsprings would work too, or even a cartwheel! :D if ur feeling like not being a ninja tho you could always tuck in one of ur legs and pivot and catch the kick with your shin. of course right after someone does this to you its no holds bar whoopass time so be sure to repay the favor :D seriously though if someone goes for a groin shot in a fight and i wasnt already going to fight dirty, that bitch is gonna end up eating food through a straw for the next couple months.

17. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Next time someone threatens to kick you in the nuts- land a kick into theres. If you feel threatened then you have the right to launch a pre emptive strike. But it is not always as easy as that in real life so what you did was fine as no one got hurt.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if i were to get kneed in the groin i'd slap his knee to the side(more palm strike than slap though), following which the assailant falls to the ground in a stupid manner(though he MAY suffer groin injury for the weird crossing of the legs. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth i say!)

EDIT:OOPS! didn't realize this thread was so old sorry!:bang:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005