Defending against a front kick to the groin

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by luis, Jul 17, 2004.

1. luis

luis New Member

hello all,

I'll ask here if anyone can help me out with any technique or tip for defending against a fast frontal close quarters kick to the groin.
    See, last night at a show some guy came out of nowhere and just threatened me that if I look at his cousing again he'd kick me in the nuts. I was put off by this, I didn't know what he was talking about so I shrugged and said 'ok', as he's leaving he turns around and just throws the kick at me, quite fast. I was able to pivot a bit and crouch a little so his ankle hit my knee. He shoved me and left but now I'd like to know a clever technique for this. thanks

2. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

you can step back and kind of scoop the foot upwith your back hand then follow through with a cross or reverse punch- if you do this tho be sure to keep your fingers together to avoid breaking them- ive seen that happen plenty of times when people try to catch kicks

3. Alex88

Alex88 New Member

yo man if i was you try to pivot away and turn quick and sidekick him in the ribs and if u want u could use a roundhousekick or punch , but rember u either pivot, block or u will get kicked . :eek:

4. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

use the thick part of your knee/shin and pivot to do a slamming strike/block to the inside of the shin. this really hurts, and is about the most reliable technique i know(for me, at least). also a nice downward punch to the shin is effective, but less reliable.

5. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

you can also use the first one to set up for a sidekick, or a roundhouse to the inside of the thigh(toes are best for this) as he sets his struck foot down. if he used any power, he willbe way off balance, and his weight will be on an injured or broken leg(if you land it right)

6. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Adopt a stance that protects your groin.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

we do something along these lines at karate, in whats known as sanbon gumite (three step sparring). the defense we learn is that what hapkidofighter mentions:

8. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I Agree

9. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

Wear a cup(box) and laugh at hes efforts at causing you pain

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

OK, so you blocked his kick and then you did what?

You had every right to counter his attack with a couple of punches and maybe a kick of your own! :rolleyes:

11. luis

luis New Member

johnny

I blocked the kick and followed my pivot movement into a low stance, he shoved me but I didn't move or anything so he just left.

I don't think I could have used my hands or any sort of kick since I was standing up straight almost leaning against a wall, with people two my right and left.

but thanks

12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Luis: to me it sounds like you did the absolute best thing: (1) avoided injury and (2) did not escalate the situation... thereby preventing further chances of someone getting hurt.

In the future for this situation I would recommend:

(1) Don't stand against walls if possible. Always leave room to maneuver and keep access to exits as clear as possible.

(2) Try not to give anyone a clear on shot at you... keep your body slightly turned to protect the front (and especially groin).

(3) For active defences, I like the knee/shin block quite a bit. You could also shoot a front kick to the rear leg if time allowed. You could step in, which would take energy away from the attack, and follow up with a strike or sweep.

Again, it sounds like you did the right thing... and just a little more "awareness" is warranted (of course, it always seems that things happen when you have an odd lapse, huh?)

13. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

I saw a friend dent the other guy's cup once by mistake, wouldnt rely on those if I were you.

14. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Ring up the prop guys who did Super Troopers and ask if you could get one of those bullet proof cups :D

15. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

dent? i can top that. one of the instructors in my old TKD class had one shattered by a sparring partner. scary place to have plastic shards.

16. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Ouch, and to think both cases were probably accidents.

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i dont know about you but if for some insane reason I was going to drop my hands down there to block, it sure as hell wouldnt be to punch someone in the shin. all that will do is break your hand. palm strike maybe (even then you're still leaving your face wide open if he decides to do anything else)

also I wouldnt count on catching the kick. very low % chance there if the guy can kick with any amount of speed. your best bet is lifting that front leg over your groin as a shield. enough muay thai and this becomes a natural reflex :D

18. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

A nice technique is to use your leg either, left or right, and kick at a slight angle infront of you.
    Done correctly, if you kick with your right leg, it should be inline with your left standing leg. (without putting your leg down)
    Pivot just a bit for the proper alignment and then kick to the the attackers opposite knee.

The kick is very natural and fast once practiced a bit.

The attackers kicking leg is blocked and moved off center...your followup kick then takes out his knee.

Or you could try this....

http://www.hostultra.com/~beijingbagua/movies/tech_7.zip

But don't do this....

http://www.bullshido.com/videos/highschoolplayground.wmv

19. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

A nice counter to most attacks from kali is a destruction. Your knee into their foot works well (foot wear dependant). The move itself also covers your jewels.

You could always not let the person get to point when they can throw that kick with a high chance of success :)

20. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

it only requires one hand, but i see what you mean. and i agree, it will break your hand if you dont punch right. turn your hand to where your fingers are perpendicular to his shin. you thumb should be facing him. i dont know about you, but it is hard for me to break my hand on a shin like that. maybe some fingers, if you miss, but not the hand.