Defence against minors

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Smitfire, Jun 13, 2018.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't see that as similar at all. I would have no problem with the guy behind the desk decking her, and it was hilarious when she managed to drop herself on the deck when she missed a swing. Even with no sound I could hear the splat! :)

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There's something about people being attacked at work that really bothers me.
    That guy doesn't want to be there earning $10 an hour taking that nonsense.
    That woman deserved a big old punch in the face.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'll have to rewatch it, but I thought the fall is from a counter punch (31 seconds in)

It's similar in that someone you wouldn't normally hit, talks their way into a fight, and then cry foul when hit.

Listen to it with the sound on, she's threatens to kill him, gets hit, and then cry and says she's gonna sue because she got hit.

4. David Harrison

Sound isn't working for me, maybe because I don't have a facebook account?

Looking back, it appears to be a mixture of her overextending a swing and him giving her a well-timed slap around the face. Looks like the slap was as much a push as it was a strike.

5. Dead_pool

Whilst the context is missing, she's was so angry, I doubt it was a valid complaint.

6. Dead_pool

A very Well timed slap/strike.

The sounds default is mute, on a phone you touch the video to unmute it.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Looks like she should be visiting planet fitness more often not kicking off and getting chucked out.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Awful isn't it :confused:

Knee Rider likes this.
  9. SaintDomingo

SaintDomingo Valued Member

I'm not sure why you quoted me as you completely ignored the question you quoted?

However since you did quote me, I will assume any response was directed to me.
    Bear hugged him? Maybe he could have done but if I was in that situation I would want to get the child away from me rather than get closer. And regardless of wanting to get away from him, I don't think imagine that the vast majority of the population would think 'oh this kid is hitting me, I better bear hug him'. Maybe that comes with experience of doing Martial Arts or a self defence system but most people don't do either.

If I'm honest I think you're right - that probably would have been a better way to deal with it but, until you've just said it and being in that situation at that time, I wouldn't have thought to do that, I'd have pushed him away from me.

I would disagree that he intended to hurt him. Surely if he wanted to hurt him he would have thrown punches, kicks, thrown him into the wall or even have got on top of him after he had hit the deck to lay into him? Maybe that's just a matter of opinion and we will have to agree to disagree on that.

10. David Harrison

Sorry, I had a whole thought process that I didn't share. My bad.

I'm taking it as read that he has no idea how to deal with children or de-escalate. I don't blame him for that, the responsibility for that lies with his employer to provide training.

I mentioned a bear hug because it is a natural reaction often used by untrained adults when children get out of control. I could understand him pushing the kid away too, but not grabbing him by the throat.

That is why I made the distinction between hurting and injuring. He wanted to inflict pain, but not damage.

SaintDomingo likes this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't think a bear hug would have worked at all.
    I think it would have escalated the kid even more.
    'Get off me!' 'Stop touching me!'
    That kind of thing. And then he'd have the problem of trying to disengage from a kid that was now even more aggressive than before and he's be right back at the start.
    IMHO the guy was mocking the kid (making the funny noises) because he was incredulous about what was happening and felt embarrassed and awkward. When the kid started targeting his face that's when he switched and grabbed him.
    I think the throat grab and push, which could have ended badly but didn't, actually saved the kid from the more potentially dangerous situation of an upright grapple/restraint and further confrontation.

12. David Harrison

Who cares what the kid says? That would not mean a thing to me.
    It would have escalated the kid for a while, but that surge of hormones and energy doesn't last for ever. The best outcome for me would be one where the risk of anyone being injured is minimised. That is not so hard to do when it's one kid with a huge strength disadvantage, and there are more adults a matter of feet away.

The guy was giving it the "ooh, that really hurts!" sarcasm I would expect of a primary school student. That was pretty much guaranteed to incite the kid to up the ante.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  13. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

It's horrific.