Defence against minors

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Smitfire, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it's easy to gloat because we know the kid didn't actually get hurt (AFAIK) and was instead having a cry-baby tantrum 2 seconds after acting the hard-man because someone had the audacity to put him in his place.
    It's more like laughing at someone riding no hands on a bike and showing off that then falls off.
    It's not like the guy laid him out with punch or dropped the nut on him.

pgsmith, Dead_pool and Van Zandt like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I Agree 100%!

3. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I feel that as society has become less and less tolerant of hurting children (said lessening of this tolerance is in general a good thing, IMO), some children take more and more advantage of that.
    They know that an adult is not allowed to hurt them and that they can push and push boundaries and most adults won't do anything.

When I was in college I worked at a indoor-playground/arcade/laser tag type place where lots of young kids were around. This was in the early 00's. Most of the kids behaved fine (for kids that age). A few were complete nightmares.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I do feel that a restraining technique would have been much more appropriate. The mocking of the park attendant prior to him pushing the kid down by the throat doesn't look good either; it made him look like e was just a much larger child to be honest. I guess there's no funding for that kind of training for a park attendant though.

5. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

If it were me, I'd have slapped the little angel across the face. Simple and effective. I wonder if grabbing someone by throat and slamming him into hard concrete footpath could be potentially dangerous?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. David Harrison

Wow. Big man.

You have to wonder about that? Kid could have bust his head open.

7. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Well, would you just stand there and let him hit you repeatedly? I thought slap across the face was a gentle warning?

8. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

As for what I, personally, would (hope I) do in a situation like that, would be something like:
    "If you don't stop punching me I'm going to restrain you."
    And then follow through on that with a standing restraint.
    If the kid is bucking and going nuts so that it is hard to keep him restrained or I'm worried he is going to hurt me (stomping, groin strikes, etc), I'd try to get us onto the ground without injury to either of us as I think it would be easier to control him there.
    I'd release the kid when he appears calm enough that I believe he won't attack me again, or when others come in to help control the kid.

That said, it is somewhat viscerally satisfying to see him get shut down like that after being such a brat. This feeling is not my friend--in the moment it could lead me to use excessive force. My anger/destroy side of me is something I really try to keep in check in situations like that.

David Harrison and pgsmith like this.
  9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Anything physical is potentially dangerous. Slapping him could cause him to fall and crack his head. A restraint could cause a break or dislocation.

One of the many reasons why people should avoid fighting and being violent.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...but it's a bizarre situation though. Not an easy thing to deal with.
    And, unlike punching, mocking someone while they do something stupid isn't criminal (thank goodness...that' 50% of the internet after cat pictures and pron).

I'd probably have just pushed him away and warned him to stay away from me in a firm tone but I think that would have just provoked him to charge back in and a need for more forceful methods.

Aggressive kids and women are why god invented leg kicks. ;)

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Changed that for you. :D

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

13. David Harrison

How old is that kid? 10? 12? I find it very weird that grown men are laughing at him getting pushed to the ground by the throat by an adult.

I don't get the humour in it.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Where are we really laughing at him though?
    Some have expressed some amusement perhaps. An understandable wry smile at an absolute little brat getting some comeuppance.
    But I think all of us find it a pretty sad and regrettable situation really.
    If this kid actually learns from this (which I doubt sadly) this bloke will have actually helped him if anything.
    If that was either of my kids acting that way I'd tell them to get up, stop crying and go and apologise to the man.

Frodocious likes this.
  15. David Harrison

You did say you were gloating about it, and compared it to laughing at someone falling off a bicycle.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well to use your style writing I said it was 'like' it not actually it.
    What I meant by that was you can see someone fall of a bike by accident get injured and be horrified. Or you can see someone fall off a bike because they were being stupid, not get injured and find it amusing.
    I'm saying that this video is more like the latter than the former.

17. David Harrison

"Style writing"? Sounds cool. :)

Yes, I said you compared your gloating to the gloating you do when people fall off their bike. Doesn't change the gloating.

Whatever floats your boat, I didn't personally find it funny. I've also yet to meet a violent kid who didn't have some environmental factor that might trigger it.

18. David Harrison

The worst injury that guy might have suffered was a dead arm. Even that looked unlikely.

Slapping kids across the face does not constitute a gentle warning. Not since 1953 anyway.

The park attendant should have called the cops. Instead he acted like he was the same age as the kid he pushed to the ground. I don't see anything good about the way he acted, and I find it bizarre that a forum full of martial artists think this was a good result for anybody.

19. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Reminds me of a former police college instructor who pooh-poohed my love of the double leg takedown as a general, and fairly safe, problem solver. This being the same guy who was teaching straight armbar takedowns for arrests and whose head ended I ended up putting about a half inch from the floor after he complained about my lack of enthusiasm in executing the technique on him. And that was a technique he considered relatively safe, and which he knew was coming, and he still very nearly ended up with at least a minor head injury.

You can minimize the risk of injury with care and good technique, situation allowing, but when you go to put people down there's still a chance they're going to get hurt especially since most of use operate in the concrete jungle.

20. David Harrison

How many 10 year old kids have you double-legged?