Defence against minors

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Smitfire, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What do people feel about this?

Do you think this man was justified in his actions?

Apparently there's much more to the story than the just the video where the kid was being out of order and bullying other kids too.

Honestly...I see nothing wrong with what the man did. Kid was being a nightmare and throwing punches with enough force to damage if they landed. He pushed the kid away and that's that. Well within his rights as far as I can see?

axelb and Travess like this.
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I know without clicking on the link which video you're talking about. :D

Kid acts all hard until it's "go" time and then cries "Child abuse!" Deserved everything he got.

Morik, Southpaw535, axelb and 2 others like this.
  3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Agreed - The lad should be counting his lucky stars that the guy was able to exercise the restraint that he did!

Travess

axelb likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Obviously by the kid has something going on at home to be acting out like this.

Minimum effective force seems to be what was used,

The longer version has a lot more context and bad language.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm not so sure. Obviously there are kids that turn into bullies and horrible people because they themselves are bullied and treated badly at home.
    But since becoming a parent I've realised...some kids are just horrible. There are horrible old people, horrible middle aged people and by extension horrible kids.
    I know a couple of families that are nice people but have horrible kids and are mortified by their kids behaviour.
    I'd be willing to bet that that kid is probably allowed free reign at home (and has had his whole life), does the same to his parents and thought he could do the same to other people.
    Maybe that's part nature and part nurture?

Southpaw535 and axelb like this.
  6. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

If you must, I say make sure you can catch them when they don't have their pickaxe, and aren't wearing their helmets. Miners can be some tough, strong opponents due to the rugged nature of their work.

Wait then .... kids .... never mind!

Monkey_Magic, axelb, Smaug97 and 3 others like this.
  7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

It's hard not to feel a bit of schadenfreude at this.

pgsmith and Knee Rider like this.
  8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Not shedding a single tear over this. Utterly understand guys situation.

With that said I have had to deal with this exact stuff hundreds of times from far older kids (and kids this age) with much less force. Grappling helps.

Choke slam was an enjoyable end to video though :D

Lily, Mushroom, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  9. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Wow that kids description would break ToS! Hope he grows up, and if he's having problems at home they get sorted. TBH, I think, although he was clearly spoiling for a fight, shoving him onto a solid surface like that was a bit irresponsible. Wouldn't classify it as child abuse either though. Not sure what I'd have done in the situation though, as restraining a child could possibly lead to lots of problems. *puts on old man hat* The problem is that kids today have no respect for adults!!

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Too much playin' video games like Fortnite and not enough mowin' lawns with kids these days!
    2927.jpg

11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've seen this and had this happen too often, in some cases the adult gets it worse because they don't want to hurt the child/ children, but a reasonable proportion end with a similar fate.

@Knee Rider grappling definitely helps, easier to deal with a small person with restraint. :D

Knee Rider likes this.
  12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

No sympathy for the people who antagonize and then get reasonably handled. Youths and women tend to like to push and then start the waterworks when they get reasonably dealt with.

Southpaw535, axelb, pgsmith and 2 others like this.
  13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I guess I am a monster, but I actually had to laugh when the boy fell and started whaling like a three year old.
    For someone who acted like a mega tough guy, that was a great display, of how tough he really is.

I won't blow the "The youth of today"-horn, because most kids are just that - being kids, some testing their barriers more unnerving then others, but most don't act up like this brat.

But for the ones that do: I don't have much sympathy for them.
    Don't get me wrong: I do feel sorry for them, when they have parents that doesn't care enough for them, don't raise them properly and the such. If they actually get beaten or worse, applies the same.
    I also would be the last person to send such a kid away, if it were asking for help or even would only want some attention.

Two houses farther is ten year old, who can act up like an idiot. If he would start hitting other people and it would end up like on the video - tough luck.
    BUT!
    The same boy sometimes comes over to people (neighbors, my Mom, cashiers in the supermarket, busdrivers...) or me - and behaves mostly normal. In these moments I would never sent him away or be mean to him.

Because essentially he has bad luck in life: When I hear the boyfriend of the mother talking to him (or more precisely yelling at him), then I do know, where the kid has his big mouth from - if you don't learn it any different, how can one expect to get better than this?
    The kid also doesn't have to school (don't ask me; some trouble, but for the moment he doesn't have to go. I think that's a horrible decision, personally); so he is outside most of the time being alone; therefore knowing and talking to nearly everyone, who works in the supermarkets and such around.
    So all in all: He's a poor kid, with bad luck and a tough start at life.

And yet: Would he act up like this, getting an echo like this - karma.
    His own fault.
    Hopefully he would learn out of it, but the last thing I would do, would be starting howling at the man, who shoved him.

Gee, I had a good Mom, but if I would have acted like that, she probably would have payed the guy afterwards ;)
    The man really endured the behavior long enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
    SWC Sifu Ben, pgsmith and axelb like this.
  14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Serves the little monster right. Too many time people won't deal with obnoxious kids because they fear the 'child abuse' backlash. I have no sympathy for him, and if it was me, I would have pressed charges against the boy when asked by the police.

pgsmith likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

The bigger issue is why kids in general can and will act out like this, either

A) he's naturally just a monster
    B) he's following how his parents act at home to others, incl physical abuse
    C) he's acting up because he's ignored at home, which is neglect
    D) he's got a lot of built up rage from something else. Ptsd etc

If it's A hopefully the kid will realise he can't get away like this and chill out eventually.

If it's B to D, hopefully he'll get some help.

Either way it's a sign of the parenting going wrong. I'm quite surprised with the reactions of a lot of people on here. We can be better then this.

David Harrison likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

"The mother reportedly arrived and everyone apologised and sorted the incident out until a few hours later when the mother posted a short clip to Facebook of the man pushing her boy only, with his details including name and address.

It’s claimed the man was told to post the full video to clear his name and get the true story out there."

Well that's a dodgy move, by the mum, I'm guessing the family is a bit unhinged, when you have both nature and nurture against you, the odds are stacked against you.

pgsmith likes this.
  17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's not like the kid is 4-5. That kid easily knows enough about life to know right from wrong. Or at least...he does now.
    I have every sympathy in the world for kids from bad backgrounds but that is always secondary to the right of other people to live their lives without getting attacked.

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. Dead_pool

I'm not saying the kid is the the right, obviously he's not, and obviously I think the guy did the right thing, but I'm also saying their could be more going on, maybe not, but maybe there is.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nah. I disagree here. I think the idea of a magnanimous society is a nice one but it ain't a realistic option. Sometimes violence is the answer.

20. Dead_pool

I didn't say it wasn't.

I'm saying gloating over the situation is a pretty poor thing to be doing.

Yes the kid deserved it, but there may well be something greater going on.

If it was an ex solider doing the same (I Know this is a stretch) on someone and getting his head kicked in, I'd think the same too.