Decisions, decisions!!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Flinty, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

*sigh*

well, i am stuck between two things really.
    Wrestling, and a job.

If i do wrestling , then i wont have time for jack squat, seeing as practice is every single day for two hours after school.

But i really want a job, which would help me get a car, and i would be able to go back to my muay thai classes.

I have already been through a week of practice, and i feel like if i stop now i would be letting my coach down. I ask myself " why am i dedicating practically all my time into something that i am kinda 'meh' about?"

Eghh idk..i need advice or something!

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

you will always have another opportunity for a job. you will always have another opportunity for a car. you will always have another opportunity for muay thai.

you only have one opportunity to wrestle.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd have to agree, some things you can do when you're older, some you can't. Get the most out of the free things when you're young.

4. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Its your decision obviously, but bear in mind that many budding MMA fighters would LOVE to have wrestled in their teenage years. The skills you learn are so useful, its such a great base to crosstrain from.

I'm one of them.

5. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I'll join this chorus. Wrestle now, work later.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If the car gets you girls go work; who wants to wrestle blokes when you have a choice? :D

Alternatively, cheap/free wrestling training? What the heck are you waiting for?

Mitch

7. wires

wires Valued Member

wrestling is great - a great martial art and an awesome introduction to bjj

I would wrestle, bro.

And do it with heart.

And keep yourself safe.

Wrestling is really great.

The opportunity to wrestle in school comes around once in a lifetime.

And when you are done wrestling, start BJJ.

Don't worry about letting your coach down. Your wrestling is all about you.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

wrestle now-you won't wregret it later!

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hope you're dedicating enough time to stretching young man! ;)

Seriously though mate, keep up with the wrestling. Next time you go for a job interview you can always suplex the interviewer into giving you the job.

Regards,

Dan

10. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

as a stand up fighting with wrestlers/ground fighting friends....

go friggin wrestle....

11. Liffguard

Liffguard Valued Member

One more in favour of wrestling.

On another note, can't you get a weekend job?

12. Brand New Day

Brand New Day Valued Member

wrestle! I miss my wrestling days. There is not a lot of outlets to learn it down the road. Take advantage of it while your young. Theres two things i really miss: wrestling and full contact hockey. Don't be a fool lol.

13. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

See if you can work out a deal with your parents, perhaps.

Tell them that you want to wrestle and have a job, but are having difficulties with time. See if they'll help you out with some extra money if you work on the weekends.

ORRR: Its xmas time, work your ass off (full time) during the break.

14. Brand New Day

have you taken into account the sheer cost of a car? I know i didnt in high school. The up keep (mechanic bills), insurance and gas are a lot of money! So, in the end you might be working just so you can have that car but never really be able to make use of it.

15. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

After thinking about this some more (yes im that bored) I think we need some more information.

1. What grade are you in?
    (If you are a freshman, now would be a good time to start saving)
    2. How much money do your parents have?
    (This obviously effects a lot)
    3. How do your grades look?
    (Grades come first, before anything)
    4. How far away do you live from fun things?
    (If you are in biking distance, then screw a car)
    5. Do you have friends with cars?
    (Be a mooch! Throw in for some gas money and you're golden)
    6. Have you had a girlfriend or do you want one?
    (Getting your mommy to drive you to and from dates is NOT fun. Also, another time restraint)
    7. Are you interested in training in martial arts for a while?
    (Wrestling is fun, but if you dont really care about pursuing anything afterward, dont waste your time)
    8. Do you plan to goto college?
    Kinda self explanatory

:)

So anyways, these were rhetorical questions (you dont have to answer) but these should be things you are thinking about. This is a MA forum so there is an obvious bias. But to be honest, I dont know what my life would have turned out like if I didnt have a car when I was 16. My best friend moved 20 miles away, so I drove out to go visit him a lot. This is when I met my first gf which led to other gfs which led to me eventually working at a BMW dealership down there which led me to buying my own BMW and paying for college when I turned 19!

And to think I woulda missed out on all of that if I didnt have the grades or the money OR THE CAR! ;)

Haha, long post but Im in a very generous mood. Good luck!

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

take the money and pay someone to wrestle for you.

go back to training.

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Wrestle now. Suplex your friend who doesn't, but has a car. Make him take you to Muay Thai. Even better. Make friends with the wrestler who has a car and get him to join Muay Thai with you. Alternatively - wrestle, date hot babe, and get her to take you to Muay Thai. Cmon flinty I know you can score a damn ride!

18. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Get a job as a doorman and get plenty of grappling practice!!!

19. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

High school is the only time in your life when women will pay attention to you solely because you have a car. Later, they want you to have money, or to talk about their "feelings", or whatever was on HGTV. :D

Seriously, I'd still recommend wrestling, just because it's such a good base skill to have. Helps you transfer into grappling of all sorts, including the Thai clinch to a degree, and it keeps you from going to the ground when you don't want to be there.

20. Brand New Day

This is true but if you get good enough at wrestling and compete at the varsity level in college/university this too will get you girls!