Decent MMA or related around Nottingham?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by sn11, Sep 2, 2009.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Before I go back to university I figured I had a bit of time and a bit of cash to check out some of the other MA scenes and noticed that I've not really ever looked into any places that do MMA or the sort of related MA's to it (boxing, muay thai, jj etc etc).

So just wondering, in and preferably close to Nottingham anywhere that you guys can recommend? Not just specifically MMA but just something a little less TKD, Karate focused?

I've seen the bushido place but they only accept pretty much athletes into the doors to train I can only assume quickly and up to fights and what not. So is there any that are just a bunch of friendly folk who'll show what the world of non "TMA" has to offer? :hat:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

When I saw the title of this thread I was going to tell you to check out Bushido, but then I read this and saw that you've tried it already.

When you say they're only really interested in training "athletes", would you mind elaborating a bit? I went to their submission grappling class tonight and they had no problem letting me train with them, even though I'm very unfit at the moment. They seem like a friendly bunch of guys mate, and their results in high level MMA competitions (even the UFC) speak for themselves - if I were you I'd have a good think before passing up this opportunity.

There are Thai boxing clubs at Liberty gym and both of the universities but any club that trains people with a view to full contact competition is going to push you quite hard physically. That's not to say you can't do it though.

I'm planning on training fairly regularly mate so feel free to send me a pm if you want to come along and you don't want to be the only crap person there!

3. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Have you actually been down to train, the word 'assume' in that sentence is a little confusing. If not I'd suggest going down, not everyone in a gym is a fighter, pro or otherwise.

4. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Paul Daley has just opened a new gym in Nottingham i think for all levels

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you could get any more details I know a number of people would really appreciate it Adsy; I just did a quick google search and couldn't find anything.

Mitch

6. keepmoving

keepmoving New Member

for excellent JKD training jimi heys @ sherwood, nottingham. www.spar-tactics.com. reality based with sparring often and no bullshine- smashing fella. I've trained there over a year now and wish i'd started long time before.

Cheers, Russell