Deafness

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by TwIsT, Dec 19, 2004.

1. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

I Am Completely deaf in my right ear, putting me a little bit off balance,but as i was young when i went deaf i got used to it but it still causes problems. I think this may be one of the reasons i feel most comfortable on the ground and grappling.

Any one else who has problems like this,similar or on the same page?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I have VERY poor hearing. WITH an aid in each ear I'm currently at about 50-60% normal hearing. Not good :(

Comes in handy if I want to ignore someone though. Flick a switch - OFF! :D

3. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

I have some hearing loss in both ears. My balance isn't great but I don't know how connected that is to my hearing problems (yes I do know about the structure of the ear and semi-circular canals!)

My main problem in class is my instructor yells something and if he doesn't enunciate clearly then I'm a beat behind everyone else. I find that I do a lot of lip reading automatically which is difficult when some one is shouting foreign words.

OT - my biggest mess up when lip reading is translating "are you ok?" to "are you gay?" - No wonder we were both confused! :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  4. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

I Have that problem at my pro-wrestling school. If the instructor says something and music is playing (Which Usually It is) or the guys are talking i often have trouble hearing him, can be very frustrating.

And to Yoda, i love being half deaf at times,i can just turn my head and smile so they think i'm listening. It's great help for bedtime too.