Deadlift Form Check

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by HarryF, Dec 8, 2013.

1. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Hello,

I have been weight training for about 6 months now, and would like some tips and advice for my deadlift (or for how to film it better so you can see what's going on).

Below are some videos of me in the gym earlier today, lifting 115kg, 120 and 125 successfully, and missing a single at 130 (apologies about the toplessness in the last couple - I wanted to watch my lower back without a shirt in the way). Also sorry for the vertical video, but it was the easiest way to set up my phone at the time, and the music choice was not mine, except for the silence.

My set up is 1) approach bar 2) check hands and feet in the right place by assuming the start position but with no load 3) straighten up and take a big breath in to my belly 4) tighten everything 5) bend down, grab bar, squeeze grip and ****, and stand up 6) if necessary, breathe at the top.

Some things I noticed:

1) My head is up, when a neutral spine would mean (I think) looking downwards in front of me.

2) On a couple of the lifts my **** goes up first. How can I improve this? Lean back more? Squeeze **** more?

3) yes, my knees actually lock out, on a couple of the lifts the folds of my trousers make it look like they don't

So any other hints or tips would be muchly appreciated, cheers y'all.

1x1 and 1x2 @115kg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nstwLOr4y0E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nstwLOr4y0E[/ame]

1x3 @115, 1x2 @120, 1x1@125, miss @130
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSWG5-n_Ro"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSWG5-n_Ro[/ame]

1x3 @100 (part of a back off set)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vOFWFVJlOg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vOFWFVJlOg[/ame]

edit: video links sorted out a bit

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

number one is irrelevant, number two is basically correct technique unless you're doing cleans or clean deadlifts, although aiming to put your torso vertical can help on heavy attempts (and is done simply by trying to get your torso vertical and either succeeding or not). you have pretty much textbook deadlift form, particularly for max attempts, for which i salute you :D

now get yourself some chalk and lift even heavier :p

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Your form looks good overall, not a lot to pick out. The only thing I would suggest is that you should aim for making your knees and hips straight at the same time, it'll mean a lot when you get to heavier weight. Other than that, not much else to say. You're clearly driving through your heels which can be seen at the slight toe raise at the end of each rep and you have the right curve in your back. Keep on keeping on man!

4. righty

righty Valued Member

Woooo critiquing form!! Let’s have some fun.

Well I’m going to say that I’m saying this as a powerlitfter so this is going to be coloured by my experience.

You’re basic form is good. On the lighter sets it looks like you were extending at the knees too much before the hips but at the heavier weights it actually started to look better.

Now for a bit more nitpicking.

That is not a deadlift. :)
    That is a raised deadlift due to the padding under the plates making it an easier lift. Presuming they are standard diameter plates, considering standing on something to get the proper height of the bar. Also, due to the padding I would say you are being overly careful in lowering the bar. It’s always good to be nice I know.

Now back to form and some tips.

It doesn’t look like you are fully locking out in the chest/shoulders and hips (I’ll have to trust you on the knees). Remember hips forward and shoulders back at the top of the lift. Trying to extend your hips through more should help.

I actually think you could have got the 130 if you got more momentum at the bottom of the lift. I would suggest focusing on getting more speed off the ground to continue moving the bar at least past your knees. You can get getting this more explosive and speedy movement on lighter weights to help feel more confident with it.

I would also suggest not wearing long pants when deadlifting. I find it annoying and they get caught on the bar. Wearing long socks and shorts if worried about scraping.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

go heavy sooner, dont muck about with so many warm ups at 115

good stuff overall

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Pretty solid. Not much to add, might want to take the shoulders slightly forward of the bar prior to pulling the trigger to get a better wedge. Remember the lift should be fast so triggering is vital.

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Thanks guys, great tips! Couple of questions:

Freeform: what do you mean by "better wedge"?

Zaad: will do; the 115s were part of a plan I was following, then I felt like going for a max effort to see what would happen :D New max = new %ages for near max work...

righty: so it should be knee and hip extension at the same time?
    Yeah I know, padding under the plates (BIIIG signs saying "DO NOT DROP THE WEIGHTS" all over the gym)... But what you can't see is the depressions in the floor (where the weights kept rolling back to), so depressions + padding = evens?
    What size are the plates supposed to be (presumably for powerlifting comp purposes, not that I'll enter any soon ;)), or, more relevantly, what is the distance supposed to be between the thing I stand on and the central axis of the bar (is it 225mm)?
    Cool, I'll try to improve speed off the floor and work on hip and shoulder lock out. And wear shorts. Just wait for the next video.

Ero: thanks dude :)

Fish: thanks dude, I did use chalk, so you're just saying that I should get better? Good, that's what I intend to do.

8. righty

righty Valued Member

Competition plates should be 450mm in diameter to give you an idea of height from the ground, so 225mm is correct. If you aren't worried about comps then the distance isn't a big deal instead just worry about adding more weight to your lift. You can try adding a deficit (stand on a box or a plate) for a variation to emphasise the beginning of the lift if you like.

Regarding knee and hip extension there is mixed thoughts on it actually. But basically you want both your knees and hips straightening up at the same time throughout the lift at a fairly constant rate. One of the most common problems in the deadlift is when people straighten at the knees early (sometimes even when the bar is still on the ground). You did it a bit in some lifts but not overly so and I've seen far worse.

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

MOAR CHALK! MOAR WEIGHT! MOAR DEADLIFT!

*ahem*

10. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cheers m'dears, back to it tomorrow, more work to be done :D

11. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

not bad at all bro.. the way your doing them you gonna build a lot of power in your upper thighs and hips but if you want to build your lower back glutes hams hip explosion power start with your butt a little lower head all the way up looking at the ceiling and explode the weight off of the floor like your trying to throw the Barbell through the ceiling and when you finish the lift shoulders back chest forward and squeeze every muscle you used to make that movement to force the blood in it

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

for whats its worth here you go
    dont do so many warm up sets at a lower weight, you are just tiring yourself out, do more back up weights after your top set if you want more volume, warm up for the top weight dont over do it
    form is good but dont let your backside come up first, try to keep your head up chest out and get the knees and hips to raise at the same time
    thats the ideal anyway try to keep as close to it as you can
    and if you arent going to compete dont worry about lifting off mats

13. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

shoulders are too far behind the bar, if theyre further forward your hips wont be so low and you wont have your backside rising before the bar. (which you mentioned)

nice work, good strong arch in your back, may even be deeming on hyperextension though, hard for me to tell.

you done good pig. you done good.

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Thanks again for the help and support guys! Might have to start filming all my lifts... :p