DBs v BBs?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mr Punch, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

If you assume that free weights are better than machines as they work all the stabiliser muscles and small tissue connections too, can you also assume that using dumb-bells is better than using a barbell?

Eg, if I do a bench press with two dumb-bells I'm using more stabilisers than if I use a barbell, no?

Another question: what kind of difference is there between eg, working two dumb-bells for a bicep curl at the same time, and working them alternately? Is there a difference? Is it better to work them separately?

2. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

from what ive been told. barbell is more for strength as it allows you to lift heavier (while still using stabilizers to a degree ) and dumb bells work more on your stabilizers due to the nature of the movements. you cant lift as heavy with dumb bells tho

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Either has its pros and cons. In the end, both are great tools. And if you can find a heavy enough set of DBs, you can probably do just about anything with 'em (including squat or deadlift). DBs probably will recruit more stabilizers though, and also offer a greater range of motion. DBs are great for correcting muscular imbalances or for things like unilateral work (such as lunges, one legged squats, etc). BBs are probably better suited at raw power/strength lifts like the bench, squat, deadlift, etc.

Either can get the job done nicely though, so use both...:D

4. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Well, my DBs aren't about to snap and I've only got as far as my bodyweight so far (about 76kg) so surely two 40 kg DBs is the same only...

...better?

I can do all of the above with DBs too right? So again, I can't see why people say BBs are better suited to them. And part of the reason I'm asking is because I don't have the space for the BB in my flat.

5. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Tension is tension, whether it comes from a barbell or a dumbell. If you can, use both. If your building a home gym then dumbells can be a nice space saving source of iron. If you're tight on space try looking at Power Blocks. I've used them up to 85lbs and can say from personal experience that you can't beat the weight to floor space ratio. Solid build, easy to use, a good balance to them, and well constructed.

The reason folks say barbells are more suited for the big lifts is simply because it's easier with them. Its much easier to rack 300 lbs on a bar then bench press it, than to sling two 150lb dumbells into position and move them. With deadlifts the dumbells sit closer to the floor, and once you lift them gravity wants to pull them back, more in line with your hips and shoulders. With squats you can't load the weight up on the spine, and your grip will probably fail before you can pull a max effort weight off the ground.

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Great post! If all you have is DB's then use them.

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

The best compromise I thought up was to use barbells for the big, main compound movements and dumbells for assistance exercises.

8. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

That's kinda how I've always thought of it too. Happy medium!

Although, DBs are sure fun. I prefer DBs for benching just because it feels more comfortable (I need heavier ones though, so I'm stuck with the bar.....darn).

Crimson had a great post too; I agree with him.