Day in the Life of a Pro Judoka

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Mitch, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I picked this up on another forum and thought it was interesting and fun. I love the clip of him climbing to roof level on what looks like a long banner. Crazy grip strength!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2vyZqdAHA4"]Judo: A Day In The Life Of A Full Time Athlete - YouTube[/ame]

Mitch

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That does look quite boring, and at the same time extremely difficult. I don't know how they can do it.

I roll with a guy who was on the Olympic squad in no gi sometimes. Dude is mch heavier than me but he's not as technical. I reckon he'd smash me in a gi though.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Log Run through a graveyard; your argument is invalid.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I love this video. I've had the honour of training with all those guys. David (the guy at the start of the video) just won the -90kg British title. Awesome judoka and a very funny bloke! The smaller dojo is Bacup (my main dojo). The larger one is Kendal, which looks slightly different now because they have the mats used at London 2012. Anyone serious about judo should get to Kendal at least once, it's an amazing facility. :)

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That was Bacup. They have several climbing ropes there. Not so fun in summer :(

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Due to my fear of heights, I can never do rope climbs. Also that grip strength looks like the nuts.

7. Mitch

If that grip strength was ever anywhere near nuts any knowledge of any MA would be irrelevant.

I'm now going to ban myself for 3 days.

Mitch

8. Ero-Sennin

Big Papi El Mitcho, wants the grip strength to crack nuts with ease.

:ban:

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

There are better training program that can be designed. If leg lift (Uchi Mata) is your favor throw that you intend to use it over and over in your next tournament, the following training will give you better result for the time that you invest.

http://imageshack.us/a/img718/1716/singleheadleglift.jpg

10. Mitch

Perhaps you could list the Judoka you have trained to national and international level and the training programmes you devised for them?

Perhaps the two minute video doesn't detail every minute of their training schedule?

Mitch

11. Ero-Sennin

Excuse me good sir, but I think you had a lapse in judgment when posting that comment. I think the fact that this is the interwebz, where we are all master armchair pundits and infallible, has escaped you. Injecting reason and proper questioning tactics is against Interwebz Law 7/11MILK.2.0441-32.

The penalty for violation is 2 cat memes that invoke the feels.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The SC and Judo training are very similiar. I have trained the US "Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling)" team to compete on international level 4 times (Taiwan in 1984 and 2006, China in 1985, Italy in 2004).

This clip is taken right after the tournament match against the Beijing PE University (where China trained their Olympic Judo/wrestling teams). The white hair old man with blue shirt at 1.38 was both the Chinese Olympic Judo team and Chinese Olympic wrestling team coach. He had integrated Chinese wrestling, Judo, and wrestling into one system just with different rule sets. The funny thing was when we arrived Hangzhou, the Hangzhou team though we were US wrestling team. After they had found out that we were Chinese wrestling team instead, the same Hangzhou team members and the same Hangzhou team referees, nothing changed but different rule sets was used. We had 3 matches in that trip. The other one was in Shanghai.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCi2NMMiPxg"]SC: US team vs. China team - Youtube[/ame]

I prefer to design different training program for different individual competitor depending on his favor throws. Since each and every comeptitor may favor different throws, a general training program may not suitable for everybody. For example, if one doesn't like to use leg lift (Uchi Mata) or leg block (Ashi Guruma), the training that I suggested won't do him any good. But if one likes to use the shoulder throw (Ippon Seoinage), the following training will be benefited to him when he is at home and training partner is not available.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2963/heavenweight.jpg

IMO, a more personal level training program will be more proper than general training program if you are in serious competition mode. Of course there may be more in that OP's clip and individual level training may just not shown in that clip. Some training can help you to develop "general" function. Some training can help you to develop "special" function (your favor throw). Both are needed. Which one is more important? It all depends on whether you have 6 months or 3 months to train before your next tournament.

I'll never suggest any training method online that I have not trained personally myself.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

dup. deleted.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

YouKnowWho,

Mitch is right, the video is simply a highlight reel showcasing some of the players' training. (I thought the title "A Day in the Life..." would have given it away...) I was invited to take part in a day of training with them at Kendal and only survived two out of the day's four sessions. Their training programmes are phenomenal, and also highly individualised. I think I've seen uchi-mata be the focus of the training session once in all the times I've been.

As a side note, why do you insist on people doing rather outdated Chinese training methods? You seem to do this in a lot of different style sub-forums (not just grappling). That stone-on-a-stick picture exercise is pointless because if you execute kuzushi (off balancing) correctly, you need very little leg lift. Besides, their weight won't be centred over your lifting leg like that so that tool is rather useless. More of the same "just stick a weight on the end of it" mentality, like punching with dumbbells.

15. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

It's a great little video.

Incidentally, if you're interested in training with a Judoka at this level, Paralympian Judo Champion Ian Rose will be teaching alongside many well known Map members at the Map Meet on 14 June 2014 at High Wycombe. You can book your place here and information about the day is given here.

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Don't want to repeat the equipment training discussion again. I'm fully aware that Chines and Japanese use different training methods. Since this is a Judo thread, the "single head" training is just a suggestion to those who like to train leg lift (Uchi Mata). It help me a lot so I asume it may help others.

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think the point is that training the leg like that isn't an effective way of training uchi mata because done properly you don't need to apply much force to complete the throw

18. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

The leg is just used to load and guide the opponent's body in uchi mata. The hip bears the weight of the throw. You're not sweeping anything. How long did you study judo?

19. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Not necessarily. It seems to be this big thing amongst Western judo countries that uchi mata must load off the hip. There's a reason that uchi mata is a part of the ashi waza in nage no kata - it's a leg technique. Watch most of Kosei Inoue's best uchi mata and he is throwing with the leg.

YNW's picture, eh, I don't necessarily see a problem with it. I wouldn't bother with it until I had enough flexibility to almost be doing the splits - that is going to help you a hell of a lot more with your uchi mata than weighted leg lifts. As a solo exercise to do at home if you feel like doing some training though, why not?

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That's Kosei Inoue though. Most Japanese people aren't like him, never mind Westerners who have different body types. I can do oversplits and even I prefer loading the hip.