"David Carradine found dead."

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MaxG, Jun 4, 2009.

1. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

2. Bramley

Bramley Valued Member

How very sad :-(

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

yeah found dead in bangkok hotel never sounds good even in the most innocent of circumstances.

The Bear.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Wow. That's depressing news. RIP

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well he was 72, if you decide at 72 you don't want to live then I think you're making a pretty informed decision.

The Bear.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Seems like if you where that sort of person you'd never have got to be 72?

Maybe he was ill? Although after doing a little digging he had had problems with drink and drugs in the past and believed he was overlooked by Hollywood since the 70's.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Found with a cord around his neck. Could have been an auto-erotic accident.

A terrible shame - I loved Kung Fu the series - and Kill Bill. And the Silent Flute. RIP.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

R.I.P.
    Very sad way to go. :(

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

It was indeed very sad news. The original TV Series was quite grounbreaking considering it was made back in the mid-70s. I am old enough to remember when it came out. I thought he did a great job with it given that he had no previous training at all.

The series also showcased Eastern philosophy which is somewhat mindblowing since it came at the tail end of Vietnam War. David did a great job of playing a man who had a sense of serenity that many seek after but few attain. Obviously, it was great acting since he clearly did not have that in his personal life.

He was great in The Long Riders too as Cole Younger, classic role.

Rest in peace.

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

RIP Kwai Chang Caine

11. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Well i think the bigest mistake that they ever made was putting him in that role instead of bruce lee.

12. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

David Carradine, Kung Fu and Kill Bill star, found hanged in Bangkok hotel roomArticl

UPDATE 12.20pm: THE death of Kung Fu star David Carradine appears to have been caused by a sex act gone wrong.

The US actor was found dead in the closet of his luxury Bangkok hotel room overnight.

He was 72.

Thai police told The Sun the actor was found with a curtain rope tied around his neck and genitals.
    They would neither confirm nor deny suggestions that Carradine was attempting auto-erotic asphyxiation, a practice designed to boost sexual pleasure.

Gallery: From Kung Fu to Kill Bill

Police said they were alerted to the death of the actor, who won fame as the wandering monk in the Kung Fu television series, yesterday.

"He was found hanging by a rope in the room's closet," Lieutenant Colonel Pirom Jantrapirom of the Lumpini police station in Bangkok said.

Carradine's body was naked when it was found and there were no signs of other people in the room, Lt Col Pirom said.

The body has been sent to a hospital for an autopsy.

A representative for Carradine said the actor would not have commited suicide.

"We can confirm 100 per cent that he never would have committed suicide. It was an accidental death. Everybody is in shock," the representative told TMZ.com.

Carradine's death has similarities to the death of INXS frontman Michael Hutchence.

Hutchence died at Sydney's Ritz-Carlton hotel in November 1997, with the NSW coroner ruling he had committed suicide.

But some of those closest to him, including his brother, believe he accidentally strangled himself during a sex act.

Lori Binder, a representative for Carradine's Los Angeles-based talent manager, said the actor was in Thailand to shoot a film called Stretch.

She declined to give further details of his death while it was under investigation.

Carradine, from a family of performers and the eldest son of well-known character actor John Carradine, enjoyed a long career on Broadway, US television and in movies such as director Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and Kill Bill: Vol. 2.

He was born John Arthur Carradine on December 8, 1936, in Los Angeles and educated at San Francisco State University, where he studied music theory and composition.

While writing music for the drama department's annual revues, he discovered his own passion for the stage, joining a Shakespearean repertory company.

After working on Broadway in The Deputy and The Royal Hunt of the Sun opposite Christopher Plummer, Carradine earned a spot on Hollywood's map in the 1960s in TV westerns such as Wagon Train and The Virginian as well as his starring role in a TV version of hit western movie Shane.

But it was the role of Kwai Chang Caine, the wandering monk in Kung Fu, that earned the actor his greatest fame.

The series aired on US television starting in 1972 and immediately won a large base of fans of the half-Asian martial arts expert and student of life as he travelled through America's Old West.

The show spawned a movie and numerous other offshoots. Overall, Carradine's credits include more than 200 roles in movies, TV, video and DVD spanning nearly five decades.

His role as Caine in Kung Fu earned him a nomination for an Emmy, and his turn as the villainous Bill in Kill Bill: Vol. 2 led to his fourth Golden Globe nomination.

He also won critical acclaim for portraying folk singing legend Woody Guthrie in the Oscar-nominated 1976 film Bound for Glory.

Carradine was married five times and had two daughters from previous marriages. His latest wife was Annie Bierman, whom he married in 2004.

His brothers include the actor Keith Carradine.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The report is a bit silly in that is says 'there were no signs of other people in the room'. Trust me... hookers in Bangkok aren't dumb enough to hang out if someone slips up and kicks the bucket. They'd be out of there before you can say Land of Smiles.

That he had his neck tied off and his genitals is typical Bangkok hotel stuff... or typical for hotels all over Asia really. Standard fare. He won't have been the first that's for sure... and sure as hell won't be the last... just one of the more noticeable because of his celebrity status. I'm willing to bet that the hookers or whoever was with him had no clue who he was beyond being one more westerner into his kinks and with the money to afford it.

Truth is often stranger and more pathetic than fiction. I remember watching his show as a kid. I never thought it was great... even as a kid... but it definitely was part of the fabric of growing up in America at that time. It had the same sheen as say Dukes of Hazard or the Fall Guy or the A-Team. Pop TV kitsch.

14. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Such a shame............

It's so sad to hear of the death of David Carradine.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009...avid-carradine

He was the inspiration to many people to start training in Kung fu.

Although his history is regarded as controversal because of his casting as Kwai Chang Caine back inthe 70's instead of Bruce Lee. the not violent approach he took in protraying the renegrade Shaolin monk inspired many people including myself to study and to delve into the more spiritual side of chinese martial arts.

Many people said he did not have much talent in kung fu, but as a child growing up in the 70's I loved the "kung Fu" series as it took a radical approach in not showing Kung Fu as just a method for hurting people, but as a method to peace.

My dream as a child was to walk the desert with my "boots over my shoulder".

My thoughts go out to his family at this sad time.

Davie Carradine rest in peace.

15. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'll salute anyone who died with their **** out.