David Blane - Magician or Mentalist??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tosh, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Just so long as the "Farting" thread doesnt make its way in too.

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Farting is the alchemical process of discriminating the finer vapours and humours from the crass, inert ones. Don't knock it ;)

Rgds,
    David

3. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Most of Blaine's street tricks are easily buyable gimmicks - though some of 'em aren't cheap.

Personally I don't like his style or presentation, I think Derren Brown is much better.

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Derren Brown is gooooooood.

I don't understand why people still watch "Crossing Over" and shows of similar ilk when there people like Derren Brown around!!

5. sys-x

sys-x New Member

6. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Yeah Derren Brown is good and true, he passes of it 'mind control'. Anyone see one where they were showing "one inch punching" and one where he manged to seem to cause pain just by thought and moving his hands? Or of course where he got the bookies to pay out on a losing ticket! :D Man do you think if i asked nicely he'd be able to teach us all how to do that? ;)

7. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

The only thing more boring that being a suspended box with only water to survice for 44 days and 44 nights.

Is watching somebody else do it.

If he wants to stuff like that I suggest he keeps it quiet about it and does not bother anyone else with it.. There are plenty of people living in caves in india who do this sort of thing, the difference is they dont bore the rest of us with it.

8. sys-x

sys-x New Member

Blaine was going for the world record but the Guiness Book of Records isn't interested due to the nature of the stunt, saying "If you beat the 'record' and then die is it a successful attempt?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3081604.stm

I think Derren Brown's stuff is mostly based on NLP (neuro linguistic programming), which I had assumed was just some sub-psychobabble BS until I saw him use it to such good effect.

9. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Blaine's tricks are amazing. Sure we all know they are tricks but, at elast on his TV specials, I was able to completely suspend my dis-belief for a short time and become totally amazed. I still don;t have any idea how he did some of those things. but ti doesn't matter, I really enjoyed his shows he really "freaked me out". And that is his job, after all...

Houdini did stunts like this so its a tradition for magicians...

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

11. Cain

Cain New Member

Give the guy a break!

He's a magician, that's his proffesion, his only source of income, and he's a damn good at his field! I am still wondering how he did that floating thing though...

|Cain|

12. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Cain,
    I know how he did that floating thing (I think that you are talking about he levitating)
    I would tell you but it is makes the whole trick so shi*. I was disappointed when I found out as it looked so "real".

13. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I've actually done the floating one! ;)

Unfortunately it was sussed second time out...... damn!

It was in FHM or sometihgn one month wasn't it?

14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.. ... Heck I just posted that link cos' I thought it was pretty funny that he was being flashed and pelted with fish & chips! I doubt he'll last the 44 days with that!

15. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Yeah its been in FHM or something like that but I saw it on one of those TV shows.
    When I saw Blaine do it I was stunned and then I saw how it was really done. I guess it was an excellent ILLUSION (not magic) as it left a lot of people I know amazed and fooled.:eek:

16. Cain

Cain New Member

Yeah that was pretty funny ;)

Maybe they are tempting him to come out or something ;)

But the thread....I dunno what to say....magician or mentalist? It's like saying B.Lee and Anie are mentalists 'cause they worked damn harder then the normal guy to achive their goal ;)

|Cain|

17. karatekid

karatekid MOOOOOOOOOOOO

he is mental but i know how he is gonna do it any way

18. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

PPL PPL the guy is a professional tit. Stop apologising for him and such. I'm very pleased that the people of London have given him the welcome they have. How I LOL when I read about two guys who slung a burger under a radio-controlled helicopter and flew it out to dangle in front of his face :D

The guy's a fool and I hope he gets kidney failure which triggers some personal growth in him so he can do something useful for the world instead of wasting space and creating more hype than there already is. Hype is the main cause of the holes in the ozone layer, you know!

Dig a hole, lower the box into it and fill it in. Goodnight Mr Blaine. Stay there for 44 years and then we'll dig you out and stuff ya! And then we'll cover you in batter and feed you to the pigeons.

And relax....

Rgds,
    David

19. Holgate

Holgate New Member

a little narked are we David ;)

Mind you just as well he didn't do that 60ft pole thing in the UK because we would have shaken the b*****d down :D

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

David Blaine has a web log.
    It's kind of funny to listen to his descriptions of being taunted and tourmented by the British. Follow along
    here.