David Blane - Magician or Mentalist??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tosh, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Magician or Mentalist??

His latest stunt sees his locked in a suspended box with only water to survice for 44 days and 44 nights.

What do you think of this?

Endurance test?
    Publicity Stunt?
    Ego Trip?
    Lunacy?

I have my own opinions on Mr Blane but i'd like to see everybody elses first.

Happy posting!

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Personally i like the guy i don't think its an ego trip i think he just likes putting on a show

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think he's a freak and a con artist.

I'll have £10 that its not just plain water, its probably got some nutrients and other things in it.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Dude is really, really, weird, but he is a good magician. I think he does these stunts just for publicity, but you have to be weird to do the things he does. I remember the time when he locked himself in a cube of ice in Times Square, NY. Stood there for days in that block of ice. Weird.

He's an excellent magician, though. He walks arounds the streets with a camera in tow and does a trick for the people he meets. In his book he says that he would travel to other countries, and just walk into town and start doing tricks for the people he met. Now okay, maybe that part that we see on TV is staged for TV. But even supposing that, he's entertaining, and even supposing that, he is a very good magician. But he's also a very strange, weird man. I prefer Lance Burton. Lance seems to be normal. He wouldn't lock himself into a block of ice for days and days. He would get out of the ice and be standing across the street in less than a minute.

5. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Even if it isn't "just plain water" it still has to be admired what he can put his body and mind through. Its not just physical- I could not imagine what it would be like to have 44 days of solitude.

The guy spent 3 days incased in ice, in view of the general public..........WOW.
    You have to give him is dues, he does things that (to my knowledge) no one else would go near.
    His magic tricks I'm sure can be explained (not by me), but his stunts leave me in awe- the will power and mental toughness as well as the physical discomfort he endures.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

I dunno - I sure was freaked out by that flying thing, got my own thoughts about that one ;)

|Cain|

7. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Interesting...

I wouldn't be sure where I'd put him in those, I guess I'd say a cross of both as there are things you do have to be fairly 'mental' in order to do the things he's done! Yeah I give him credit for what he's done, some say it's just being crazy, some naturally think he's very brave. One argument for "mentallist" tho is I have heard of him not exactly giving 'great' interviews, I heard of one on GMTV where he was interviewd by Eamon Holmes and David Blaine didn't say a word! (whether that was just cos of the early morning interview or what, its hard to say! :D)

Just my 2 pence worth there...

8. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Even if the ice and the being locked in a box are fake. What about his stunt where he stood on a platform that was like 3 stories tall and barely big enough for him to stand there. He stood up there for like 24hours I think with no food or water and than jumped off into like a 20foot tall pile of cardboard boxes. I think the guys awesome, wierd yes. But hes still pretty cool and entertaining.

9. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Yeah that interview with Mr Holmes, I didn't like it. It was just to add to his persona of being mysterious and beyond emotion- it just made me think he was an ars*.

Ive seen the TV show where his "steet magic" is exposed. I see his stunts as a physical and mental endurance test which is very impressive.

10. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I think he's fine, just so long as he doesnt start saying that his "chi" is aiding him in these feats...

11. IDIOT

IDIOT Guest

If you notice he's put on alot of weight for this stunt. Did you notice the belly? There is this drug which is used by these bush men, it makes you feel full for 2 days a piece plus it's very small. When he went for the stunt they checked his possessions but they didn't check the cloths he had on.

I personally think the guys great, they are his form of art. I realy like the way his portfolio is going. On the Vertigo stunt he said this is just the beginning, which makes me think what he's going to do next or last rather. I sence something to do with space.

In conclusion I think this may be his last stunt.

-Matt

12. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

wasn't one of his tricks "EXPOSED" on that one show called "magicians EXPOSED" ...well SUPPOSEDLY he takes turns standing/sitting/laying doing whatever he is doing with a look alike.

13. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

i dunno about him it sounds like he has a slow/painful deathwish but then again he's "magic" I love watching scifi channels paranormal where they do tricks that were exposed on the learning channel. Ahh the wonders of basic cable :)

14. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Equally, I think lnace Burton is an absolute cracker.

Personally, I like "Uncle Dave". Anyone who is as prepared a she id to push the human body to its limits get my respect. I mean even if what he is recieving in the drip is more than water I doubt that'll mean he comes out of this unscathed either mentally or physically.

How could you ever be the same after something like this?

Wouldn't it be cool if he dissapeared though? :D

Ever think that one day one of his stunts will go wrong for real?

Is he the greatest magician of our time? Or would you give the plaudits to someone else - Copperfield? Burton? Daniels?

You decide! :D

15. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Magicians are psychologically defective by definition. This compulsion to trick people is a big warning sign to anyone who meets them.

My advice: stay away and hope it all goes horribly wrong. There really is nothing to see except a tedious "special effect" ILLUSION.

Real magic - personal transformational methods and the like - I have respect for, for the courage and the will to grow.

Rgds,
    David

16. David

If I was in London, I'd be the gy shining my headlights in his eyes all night and shouting derogatory remarks at him through my CB's PA system. Now, that's magic! :D

-David

17. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I'm interested, "REAL Magic"?

Any examples of this?

18. David

Certainly, but oh, is that the time?! I must away.

Seriously, what kind of thing do you expect me to say..? hehe.

Rgds,
    David

19. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Seems like this and the Magic & the Martial Arts thread seem to have 'converged' as such,as it seems this has going into the "What is magic?" direction. As I said there, I guess it what you would class as what was "magic" or not wouldn't it? :)

20. Jim

Jim New Member

Also in the 'something weird is happening to me...' thread ;)