Darth Vader and Aliveness

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by medi, Sep 11, 2007.

1. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Read the following quotation:

Yet, having killed all the Jedi at the end of Part III, Vader wouldn't have had any opponents to train against in light-sabre combat. Where did his new-found masterdom come from?

So where's your aliveness now, Matt Thornton????

2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

He killed most of the Jedi on Coruscant and then there were the other ones that were off planet fighting the Clone Wars who were gunned down by their own troops.

However, Vader then spent time hunting down Jedi elsewhere - remember Obi Wan and Yoda turned off the beckon that was calling Jedi back to the temple to get busy with the sabres.

Ergo, he got his masterdom giving hideaway Jedi what for!!! :D

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Kata, he unlocked the secret. :p :D

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

The emporer might also have trained him.

Ol' Palpatine seemed a bit handy with a blade :)

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I was right :cool:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vN6HNaxWbqk[/ame]

6. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Vader became pants after years of atrophying skill. Watch episode 4-6 and compare his skills with 2-3. Same goes for Ben. Luke just hacks at him like a blind woodsman wielding a club

7. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

1. He was with the emperor
    2. The combat drones with the staffs that are beside General grevious gave Anakin an idea
    3. The droid you see knocking down the flying thing in Tatooine in Ep1 is one of a humoid worker type. Vader made a dozen of them and taught them how to fight and match him with a sabre. He duelled them on a regular basis.

8. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

He's moving too fast for the 1960s cameras and SFX to keep up with!!! Thats why

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Heh heh, so that's why everyone learns nijushiho and unsu for competitions - mix them together and you get the force!!!! :eek:

10. Chimpcheng

For the Dark side you need a dose of Wu Shu as well, just look at Darth Maul...

11. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

It's okay, the panic is over now. I'm here to sort it out for you. *sheesh*

SteelyPhil said:-
    At the time of Episodes 1-3, the Jedi were at their prime. Their training facilities were intact, their connection to the Force undiminished. That's why we see Qui Gonn, Obi Wan et al flipping out like nobody's business.

By the time of Episodes 4-6, the Jedi are a spent force. Training facilities are non-existent and training is done on the fly so to speak. The training at this time seems to be far more about regaining control and understanding of the Force rather than producing protectors and warriors.

Yoda is nearly nine hundred years old by this time and at the end of his life. Anakin Skywalker is a crippled cybernetic shell of his former self. Obi Wan is an old man. Even Palpatine himself is a ruined shell after his encounter with Mace Windu. Luke himself has had minimal exposure to traditional training methods at this point and so his saber technique reflects this. Leia at this time has had absolutely no training and so her random experiences of Force contact reflect this.

It's easy to see why the shift in emphasis between trilogies took place. By the time of the original trilogy, the Jedi are having to focus their efforts in different areas in order to defeat the Sith because they are too old and indeed worn to use their more youthful methods.

12. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

So in fact, having realized how ineffective they were in real fighting, they changed their doctrine to "being a Jedi is about not fighting...."

:rolleyes: :p

13. Chimpcheng

What you didn't see in the movies was that Palpatine transfered his essence to one of his many clones and carried on the good, I mean, bad fight in a younger healthier body. Of course this power was such that these clones degraded rapidly. I can't remember the storyline exactly, but I think it was "Dark Empire" and as far as I am aware it's still part of the accepted Star Wars canon.

Also, not all Jedi could physically fight as in jumping around with a lightsabre so grew to rely on using the Force. Afterall one of these Jedi was a tree or became a tree.

14. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Isnt Obi-wan only about 55-60, which IIRC is about the same as Qui-gon who still is quite able to jump about and fight very effectively. Really they made Obi-wan to be much to young in the prequels to accurately fit his image in A New Hope.

15. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

*Shakes head*

Sorry guys you'll have to forgive him.

*In a quiet calming voice*

Now now Andy we've been through this before. It's not real, no don't shake your head like that you have to accept it!

Qui Gonn and Obi Wan were jumping and flipping because of spring boards and C G I. Now stay with me here can you remember what we said Star Wars was?

That's riiight it's a F I L M

Come on I'll make you some nice hot chocolate and do you some toast.

:D

16. Chimpcheng

I thought the same for Anakin between Episode I and II, he went from tiny 10yo sprog to a 30yo guy in 10 years, meanwhile Amidala didn't age at all...

Might be that they aren't all 'human' or are sub-species... ;)

17. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

:eek: How many times have you had to repeat that to yourself? :p

18. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Were they though? Or had the lack of lightsaber wielding opponents meant that their combat skills had diminished somewhat? They focused mainly on blaster wielding opponents? Hence Qui Gonn getting run through by Maul!

19. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Spooky said:-
    Well I'll certainly take you up on the offer of hot chocolate and toast but you'll NEVER get me to say that Star Wars (makes holy sign) is a simple F-word.

It's a religion. ;)

20. Smokey13

Smokey13 Valued Member

The Sith seemed to train pretty well while still maintaining the illusion that they had been eradicated. Maul and Sideous didnt train against jedi.