Daoyin

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by runcai, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

So you mostly just lay there not moving then...... how do you type

2. embra

embra Valued Member

How can a computer program have an opinion on anything? The responses here bear some hallmarks of text gathered from automated web-crawling.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I may have missed it elswhere on MAP. I too, am curious as to specifically, what sort of internal arts/ Qigong you yourself practice.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No really. That's not an answer. When you practice martial arts, what do you DO?

Not what do you abstain from doing. Not what concepts are you considering. What physical acts are you actually performing? That's what I'm curious about.

5. Xue Sheng

Well.....none if he is abstaining from concentric muscle contraction:D

6. runcai

runcai Valued Member

If you have learnt Internal Martial Arts you should have heard of Sun Lutang who said "not to use brute force". The more recent definition of brute force is concentric muscle contraction.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't have to have trained in internal martial arts to have heard that chestnut. Nor do I need a degree in rhetoric to recognize when someone is evading a question. The question is simple. When you train, you stand up, walk into a practice space, and...

I'm attempting to give you the benefit of the doubt here. But thus far, your detractors seem to have the right of it.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Eh, what?

Who said brute force is concentric muscle contraction?

You do know how muscles work I assume?

How do you rotate without muscle contraction?

9. runcai

runcai Valued Member

High school students should know about concentric muscle contraction movement, and the example of not using it is given in the Mawangdui Daoyin Shu: rotating and stretching in a slow, relaxed manner. Rotational stretching is not an concentric muscle contraction action. Maybe you should find out how Sun Lutang practiced his martial arts from his followers.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

runcai, stop talking down to us and post an explanation that backs up your statements.

You're saying we're not as educated as high school students and it's insulting.

I'd ask you to take a look at the threads you've made, the questions that have been asked and your avoidance in answering before you start mud slinging.

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Anyone who won't post where they train and whom they train from is hiding something. If one is proud of one's training, they should be more than happy to answer what, where and whom they train from.

I have no respect for anyone who isn't willing to state these things.

Runcai, frankly, I hear a lot of book gibberish, but not a lot of practical knowledge. Those that practice talk about things in a far more simple direct manner. See posts by Dan Bian, Johnno, and soon the posts from Xue Sheng.

12. embra

embra Valued Member

if you ask Runcai "Do cats like milk?" the answer will be some twisted response. Runcai is a computer of sorts.

13. ned

ned Valued Member

Since you raised the question (above) , I think people would like you to elaborate on how you use your qi gong practice to enhance the martial aspect of your training ;
    i.e in practical applications rather than passive stretching.
    I'm pretty sure your question quoted above was rhetorical and you expect others to volunteer information about their own training practice ,however so far you have
    declined to do the same which is why this ,and the other threads you have started
    started go nowhere.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not even particularly bothered if runcai says he doesn't practice martial arts. If someone wants to practice feng shui or qigong or whatever, that's fine. If they simply want to read about these things, I've got no particular problem with that either. But be honest and open about it, Runcai. Your current approach isn't doing you any favours.

15. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Are we waiting to see if runcai answers first, before we all volunteer our own ideas??

16. Xue Sheng

Maybe you better find out what art Sun Lutang practiced becaue it wasn't Mawangdui Daoyin Shu.

17. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Maybe rotational stretching is some what misleading, so here I try again:

The authors of Mawangdui Daoyin Shu said something about rotating, bending, and stretching in its movements (p.6), and I said these movements are not concentric muscle contraction. Maybe a good example from Xingyiquan is the Zuan Quan which is related to the kidney meridian.

You can look up A-level Revision in PE for the types of muscle contraction that is if you do not know.

18. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

This sentence has told us more about you than every single one of your previous posts put together.

You're mid-late teens, in the UK?

19. Xue Sheng

I know zuanquan, I do Xingyiquan, I also know muscle contractions too. You said you were abstaining form concentric muscle contraction which is a common form of muscle contraction that occurs in rhythmic activities when the muscle fibers shorten as tension develops.

And if you are using that as an example of what you are trying to say you are entirely off the mark in order to do zuanquan there is almost a tightening spring like action that comes from the waist as you move. You may want to look up Yi, Qi, Li too. Your mind controls your qi and your qi controls your muscles. There is no movement, not one, not even a wiggle, without muscle contractions. However how you get those muscles to contract is the issue.

Do you have a teacher for this or are you learning this from a book?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

How about a video to show us mortals what we are doing wrong?