Daoist internal alchemy

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by gerard, Apr 15, 2004.

1. gerard

gerard Valued Member

This is the part of Daoism that appeals me most. The union of jing, qi and shen in order to reach immortality and go past beyond yin/yang influence, dissolve karma, our genetic influence and astrological configuration. In other words, trascend the boundaries of our cosmological existence, blending heaven (yang) and earth (ying). Interesting thing internal alchemy.

This article will enlighten the uninitiated in order to follow this path:

http://www.healingdao.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode2&articleid=18

What is your take on this topic?

Qian bei, Gerard.

2. gerard

gerard Valued Member

3. bob01

bob01 New Member

Fascinating!
    Any personal experience with internal alchemy Gerard?
    Bob :D

4. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Success in these things only requires the dissolution of the personality, desires, attachments and personal relationships. I can't figure out why it's not more popular ;).

Rgds,
    David

5. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I always think it is interesting that an individual must reach what many consider to be "enlightenment" before the work (alchemy) even begins in taoism. It's interesting to me how one can become completely free and clear physically and energetically, and then choose not to pursue the spiritual ends. I think that many traditions only focus on getting you to that first step, but don't offer you the higher practice.

6. gerard

gerard Valued Member

It is very advanced stuff. Working on it. It is a lifetime thing. I am presently clearing all my emotional blockages. I learned to balance qi and jing; however unifying them with shen is the hardest part. I realised that ejaculation control, celibacy and diet make a huge difference in spiritual work.

I'll give a definite answer by 2035 (I'll be 69 then).

Yes it's like searching for the Holy Grial. Worth it IMO.

Another important step to achieve internal alchemy is living in the right environmental conditions away from polluted areas, at higher altitudes and with a good bunch of mates, friends and a loving partner. Hard to find conditions are these!

7. HK Pedestrian

HK Pedestrian New Member

"I realised that ejaculation control, celibacy and diet make a huge difference in spiritual work."

In our T'ai Chi school, it is completely different. Those techniques aren't addressed as necessary. We are taught that we will get so much stability, balance and energy from our purely physical martial training and ch'i kung that worrying about sex or diet isn't necessary for our growth. Of course, we don't whore around drinking buckets of whiskey and smoking crack all day, either! Moderation in everything (smoke crack only half the day, LOL). I'm not saying what we do is better, just different.

We are taught that we should first be able to develop enough energy for our health, then our families, then our careers. Once that is established, we should then be able to generate enough energy to help others, that is when the spiritual aspect of our art comes into play. What does the person do with their extra energy? That is the spiritual test...

-HKP

8. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Any comment including crack-smoking usually wins me over.

In my qigong system, abstinence is not regarded as a crucial factor, but diet is. It is interesting, all the different variations.

9. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

If you did you would be doing baguazhang, why do you think we walk in circles? :p A BJ in a backalley, a bottle of MD 20/20 and slamming heroin is tai chi :D

OK seriously

I've noticed that the dietary changes begin during training, and it is not by willpower alone, but through being more in tune with yourself, the dietary changes will manifest naturally. Hey not resisting the tao results in natural harmony, what a concept, sounds familiar...where did I hear that before? :confused: :rolleyes:

10. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Just curious what exactly do we mean by dietary changes?

11. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Whatever is needed to achive balance (varies from person to person), but generally the types of food you once craved will move away from highly processed foods and junk food in general.

12. HK Pedestrian

HK Pedestrian New Member

Quite so. By being sensitive to your body's needs, you eventually learn to listen the messages from your systems that will guide you to the foods most appropriate to good health. There are also environmental factors that can lead you to make food choices, seasonal, age, activity and climate related. Someone "North of 60" (degrees latitude, for non-Canadians) is going to need a lot more meat in their diet than someone in Malaysia, for example. Someone from an urban environment is going to need a lot more crack to face their day... Just kidding!

-HKP